Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

When I was thirteen, playing Shareware Doom, I walked around the Baron corpses, and wanted to see the other side of their dead bodies, and was horrified that the image (sprite) followed me! The game seemed so realistic to me at the time, 1993, that I felt like someone punched me in the gut.

I only played Doom on other's PCs for many years until a Steam sale on the id package back in 2008-9. I am now a proud owner of Doom.

Catoptromancy said:

I never pirated Strife.

Well played good sir. Well played.

* I hate many of the maps in PC Doom 2 and think its atmosphere, music and sound effects suck next to the PSX version.
* I purely hate PC Final Doom. Ugh. Just... ugh! (Mind you, I'm not sold on the PSX version either, but it's miles better than its PC counterpart.)
* I think the graphics in Doom 64 are the most embarrassing travesties I've ever seen. Doom died the day they changed to the Doom 64 design.

Cyanosis said:

I finished all of the Doom engine games on the original executables without cheating several times over minus Strife.

Replace Strife with heretic and I have done the same.

I made a youtube playlist comprised entirely of UV-Max videos from various single player levels and megawad maps named "Doom tv" and I watch it every night until i fall asleep.

40oz said:

I made a youtube playlist comprised entirely of UV-Max videos from various single player levels and megawad maps named "Doom tv" and I watch it every night until i fall asleep.

Can a brother get a link? "Doom TV" brings up a bunch of different crap.

Doomsfall said:

I've never managed to obtain the artifact in the Omega Outpost map of Doom 64.

Soldier on man. It's tough but you'll get it.

Never got to the secret levels of D64 EX (I did on the Absolution TC) nor did I obtain any demon keys. I've completed D64 twice, once on both of those versions, and never played the original N64 game.

yourusernamee said:

Upon beating any pwad that only occupies MAP01, at the start of MAP02 I always idkfa for the bfg (assuming I didnt already get it in the custom map) and take out the 3 troopers standing there. I also bfg the trooper to the right, just around the corner beyond the barrier. Only then do I F10 my way on out.

I've been doing this for years and years. I don't think I've ever not done it.

Heh, I don't do it every time, but I do that a lot too (sometimes the rocket launcher). Also, if a MAP01 wad gives me some interesting weaponry or whatever, I tend to go on and complete map02 (and sometimes map03, occasionally map04) with the weaponry from map01. I also tend to warp to map08 and play with the weapons from the WAD simply because map08 has a wide mix of the default Doom bad guys on it.

Face23785 said:

Soldier on man. It's tough but you'll get it.

The red key was always eluding me and now I finally found out how to get it.

I spent way too long in one of the uncompleted maps for Ghostbusters Doom before I realized it was an unfinished product.

Doomsfall said:

The red key was always eluding me and now I finally found out how to get it.

Doom 64's secret levels were great. One of my biggest problems with the TC was that they altered the secret levels. Give me the EX any day. TC's extra levels were cool though.

Mattassacre said:

i never played the original doom until 2005. :/

I never played Doom until 2007. I played Hexen not too long after release though.

GoatLord said:

I spent way too long in one of the uncompleted maps for Ghostbusters Doom before I realized it was an unfinished product.

I spent way too long in Fistful of Doom before I realized the 'fix' actually made it bugged. I don't trust WADs anymore that take more than a minute or two to figure out and find myself cheating whenever I get stuck.

I actually thought the Icon of Sin was really cool as a kid and it's only been through the cynical bitching on here that I've been persuaded to believe that it's lame, which it is.

Doom 64's end boss is way cooler than the Icon of Sin because it's an actual sprite, even if it does look a bit like a crustacean.

GoatLord said:

Doom 64's end boss is way cooler than the Icon of Sin because it's an actual sprite, even if it does look a bit like a crustacean.

Icon Of Sin is a sprite.
It is a head on a stick.

What I do a lot of times when I'm truly bored and not in the mood for a challenge, is beat these specific maps, almost like a robot, I barely even see what I'm doing, it's a sort of "Doom trance":

1. Ultimate Doom's E1M1 and E1M2
2. Doom II's MAP01 and MAP02
3. TNT's MAP01.

Sometimes I also play Plutonia's MAP01 for a min or so before getting my arse handed back to me.

yourusernamee said:

Upon beating any pwad that only occupies MAP01, at the start of MAP02 I always idkfa for the bfg (assuming I didnt already get it in the custom map) and take out the 3 troopers standing there. I also bfg the trooper to the right, just around the corner beyond the barrier. Only then do I F10 my way on out.

If I have a rocket launcher when starting Map02, most times I'll use these guys to paint the walls.