Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Do you like Doom 64's music?

There seems to be a debate of old Doom music vs new Doom music. So I'm wondering what's your opinion on Doom 64's music? It drips with atmosphere. Each track is like 7 - 13 minutes long.

I love it. The original music is good, but I thought the direction doom 64 went with making the game more atmospheric was awesome. Maybe that's why I liked Doom 3 so much.

Doom64 is creepy as FUCK!

Yes, I don't believe Doom 64 would not work the way it does without it. It really is a perfect marriage in styles.

Now, would I prefer this soundtrack in standard Doom? No.

It's really just ambiance rather than music. It fits D64 excellently but doesn't compare to the original Doom soundtracks.

(inb4 Doom music isn't original)

I like Doom 64's music for its creepiness but I mainly like its music because it is the first Doom game I have ever played, I also like the music from psx doom but only second compaired to Doom 64's music.

Master Bigode said:

It's technically not real "music", but yeah, I would rather listen to it than to cheesy rock rip offs while playing Doom.

Technically, it is, but that starts a whole new debate about what music really is. Though, I do hear melody in various songs.

And yes, I do like it. Fitting for D64.

DoomWorld... stayin' on topic.

Love it, while some of the tracks can get a bit long and repetitive most of it just oozes atmosphere and fits the game to a T.
And i also prefer it in the original doom as well, ive never really liked the cheesy midi rock, just completely takes me out of the mood.

I wasn't one of those who grew up with Doom via the PSX incarnation first thing but I admire Aubrey Hodges' work a lot and enjoy the darker side of Doom as much as the "cheesy" rock music version (not even all of the tunes are upbeat either).

vinnie245 said:

And i also prefer it in the original doom as well, ive never really liked the cheesy midi rock, just completely takes me out of the mood.

vinnie245 said:

Love it, while some of the tracks can get a bit long and repetitive most of it just oozes atmosphere and fits the game to a T.

The only music track I ever liked from Doom was the one used in E2M6.

D64 sounds like a Tangerine Dream album. They made some freaky, creepy ambient stuff like this...

I love it. It's aged much better, IMHO, than the PC MIDI's. I really like ambient music in general so it's a bonus that my favourite Doom game also has my favourite music style.

I've heard numerous comments about PSX and N64 Doom not having "real" music, which I think is silly because dark ambient is a recognized form of music. It's just that it's organic rather than rhythmic.

I absolutely adore Doom64's music to answer your question. Don't really care too much for PC Doom's cheesy-ass midi rock n roll stuff, never have, never will.

There are 2 types of music in Doom64 (in my eyes).

If you look at MAP01, MAP04, MAP12 and MAP17 tracks, you would see that they play on musical form, especially MAP17.

But if you look at MAP15's track, I don't hear anything but the creepy sudden monstrous sounds. However there are some of these kinds I love, like MAP08's track.

I just wish Doom64 had all tracks in musical form, instead of sounds put together. Maybe musicians can write new tracks for Doom64Ex?

I haven't played much of Doom64, but from the maps I've played the "music" is pretty good. Its impossible to compare it to the PC tracks. PC Doom's maps would work horribly with the Doom 64 for tracks, and the PC Doom tracks would work even worse in Doom 64.

I think Doom 64's music fits very well with the atmosphere of the game. However, I think the PC Doom's music is far better.

If you want to add new music to mods for Doom 64 Ex without breaking much of Doom 64's original style you could always recycle the PSX Doom TC music for it as it has a similar style.

C30N9 said:

I just wish Doom64 had all tracks in musical form, instead of sounds put together.

If you ever find any music that isn't "just" sounds put together, please let us know.

Doom 64 has to be one of my favourite soundtracks composed for a game. Though I prefer Aubrey's work in PSX Doom over 64, Doom 64 ranks high, too.

I like Doom's music, too, but the original MIDIs sound bleh to me. They're sounding too low volume-wise and lack punch. I prefer remixes of them instead, such as those by Per Kristian.

I don't really listen to the midis anymore, except if I'm feeling nostalgic, and even then I listen to the remixes instead. Whenever I play doom I usually have some death, thrash or Doom metal playing. Eh, what can I say? Hard rock/metal midis haven't aged all that well.

Man, I love the Doom midi's. I still enjoy them playing in the background when I'm playing.. Especially D_RUNNIN. Doom 64's music, I don't like it as much as the classic midi. I mean it fits the atmosphere quite well...

Doom 64 needs D_RUNNIN :)