Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

"Iron Maiden: Rise of Eddie" - Doom WAD idea

Yes, I know, this title sounds funny, but before you think about a jokeWAD, let me tell you my idea.

I think, you know Iron Maiden. This is a great band, one of the best heavy metal bands ever. I love them - really, really love it. Their songs are inspirational and have style.

In this forum I've read several times that you can give mapping inspiration from music. I didn't understand, how is it possible, but now I do.

Iron Maiden has a lot of interesting songs with amazing concepts, themes and names. After that, I'm starting to think about a megaWAD which contains levels that will be given their name by famous and not famous but good Maiden songs.

If I'll add new textures, I might make a story for this WAD, where the main character are the player, az unknown being, and the evil creature, Eddie. (the feature of the Iron Maiden)

What do you think: is it a good idea?

There's a list about the most inspirational Maiden songs for me, which might be the base of the levels:

Transylvania
Phantom of the Opera
Genghis Khan
The Prisoner
The Number of the Beast
Quest for Fire
Flight of Icarus
To Tame a Land
Back in the Village
The Duellists
Powerslave
Aces High
Alexander the Great
Deja Vu
Wasted Years
Mother Russia
No Prayer for the Dying
Childhood's End
Fear of the Dark
Ghost of the Navigator
Out of the Silent Planet
Journeyman
Paschendale
Gates of Tomorrow
Montségur
The Longest Day
Satellite 15... The Final Frontier

Marnetmar said:

This is a really great idea actually!

Quite true. :)

Although I won't be able to contribute a map because I have more than enough on my plate as is.

Count me in. Maiden is one of my favorites if not my favorite band of all time.

Here's a few of my favorites not on your list:

These Colours don't Run
The Talisman
When the Wild Wind Blows
Moonchild
Hallowed Be Thy Name
The Evil That Men Do
Tailgunner

Katamori said:

where the main character are the player, az unknown being, and the evil creature, Eddie. (the feature of the Iron Maiden)

Try looking up Ed Hunter, an officially licensed FPS. You might find the concept quite familiar :P

Phobus said:

Try looking up Ed Hunter, an officially licensed FPS. You might find the concept quite familiar :P

I know the game, but I think something different... Eddie is a kind of a mystic, powerful and large boss, like D'Sparil in Heretic or Korax in Hexen.

I would definitely play a wad with levels inspired by Maiden tunes. Although I would expect each level to be accompanied by the corresponding Maiden song in Midi format. Which probably wouldn't be too hard to find.

I would also expect at least a few new textures inspired by album covers. Not the Album covers themselves of course, but things like an Egyptian theme for a powerslave level, a dark graveyard type of theme with withered trees for fear of the dark, a theater type theme for Phantom of the Opera, A war theme with a tank for anything from Matter of Life and Death, etc.

And of course, Eddie himself as an enemy or the different variations of Eddie as different enemies. The Fear of the Dark Eddie with wings would make an awesome enemy.

Alternatively, give some of the doom enemies a little Eddie flavor.

Although, 32 levels may be too much for the megawad of this sort. Personally, I would probably start with a goal of 15 levels, each one representing one of Maiden's 15 studio albums. Pick one song from each album and do a level. After 15 levels are done, then maybe see about adding more from other songs.

Just my input on the whole idea.

Btw, Ed Hunter is much more of a Rail shooter than an fps in my opinion.

Brewtal_Legend said:

Although, 32 levels may be too much for the megawad of this sort. Personally, I would probably start with a goal of 15 levels, each one representing one of Maiden's 15 studio albums. Pick one song from each album and do a level. After 15 levels are done, then maybe see about adding more from other songs.

You're right, it's a good idea.

Vaporizer said:

Katamori, I just saw you didn't have a single Blaze track on your list. Don't like the man? Here's some Blaze era tracks that would make nice levels:

I didn't like Bayley's songs. That perious wasn't as outstanding in the lif of the band as the other years.

Doctor Doctor was the only good song to me, but that's a remake of another song by UFO.

Mind you though, before people start suggesting wickedawesome songs they ought to THINK about weather would be possible to make a level from them. Aces High is about the Battle of Britain and it'd be pretty damn hard to create that in Doom.

Hey, is this project still going on? It'd be quite interesting to see an actual music-based game for Doom. If it's not a bother, I can probably come up with a few maps in my spare time off from the Doom RPG.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I would love one based on Be Quick or Be Dead. (The name makes the difficulty very suggestive).

The level for that song would have to feature a large number of mancubus, in sniping positions atop high towers. Whenever I hear the lyrics "betcha won't fall on your face, your belly will hold you in place" I see the mancubus death anim. :p

Also, why not playing as Eddie instead? Maybe it's just because he's a mascot, but he gives me the impression of being a fun-loving undead dude rather than a bad guy. I mean, he's always playing guitar, riding bikes, and cosplaying as Osiris or a borg...

Gez said:

Also, why not playing as Eddie instead?

Yeah. And have Eddie status bar face!

Vaporizer said:

That's not all songs. Four albums are missing, some albums are incomplete and most b-sides aren't there.

And yes, Eddie should be the good guy.

I didn't found any better source.

And everybody is right about Eddie. I've never thought it over.

Personally, I think it makes more sense for Eddie to be a villain. That's the way he is portrayed in the music videos and and on stage.

Plus as cool as an Eddie status bar would be, I would rather fight variations of Eddie as enemies.

Brewtal_Legend said:

Personally, I think it makes more sense for Eddie to be a villain. That's the way he is portrayed in the music videos and and on stage.

That's actually why I would be more in favor of playing as Eddie. Sort of inspired by the Number of the Beast cover where Eddie has a marionette of Satan who has a marionette of Eddie and so on...

The demons from Doom interject themselves over Eddie (attempting to be more vile, evil and wicked than him) and he, as one who does not want to be upstaged, takes the fight to them and it escalates in brutality between the two over who is more so.

Perhaps I've over thought this.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

Sort of inspired by the Number of the Beast cover where Eddie has a marionette of Satan who has a marionette of Eddie and so on...

As I've heard, the third marionette was Dickinson himself on that cover.

I fully support this idea this could be interesting.

I can already picture the last level called "Coming Home"

Archvile78 said:

I fully support this idea this could be interesting.

I can already picture the last level called "Coming Home"

Oh, hy Archvile78! We hadn't spoken for a long long time... :)

ON-TOPIC: sounds interesting and thanks for supporting!

Katamori said:

Oh, hy Archvile78! We hadn't spoken a long long time ago... :)

ON-TOPIC: sounds interesting and thanks for supporting!

Its been a while indeed. ;)

Thought of making map to test how well a theme could apply with a specific title? Like Transylvania could be a small city themed map. Or something like this.

Just an example.