Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
blob1024

C-N entries- a few question

a few silly C-N entries related questions.
first of all I wondered if C-N demo entries are posted in a special thread for the I-wads, because for example I didn't see any TNT evolution/plutonia (1) topic around.
secondly I wondered about the doom 1.9f port. As evident, I'm a strong PrBoom+ fan, and I always preferred that port to the other ones. So I've barely idea of how the other (zdoom, choco, etc) works.
Also, under particular setting, will a prboom recorded demo be classified and/or accepted as C-N?
or better saying, are there chances to track down the setting used for any of the prboom demo?
and lastly, where/how to get the doom 1.9f and what exactly it involves? (I assume its a mixture of fixed key settings, no HUD, low resolution?)
if its not too stress or time consuming, I may consider start using it for C-N classified wads.
thanks in advance

The thread you were looking for is here

Now, experts correct me if I'm wrong:

Doom2 1.9f is not a port. It is a slight modification of Doom2 1.9 distributed with Final Doom. You can't "get" it. Either buy Final Doom or, if you own "basic" vanilla 1.9 executable, there is a also patch converting 1.9 -> 1.9f somewhere, I'm sure myk or Tatsurd could help you regarding where to get it from; I don't know as I didn't feel I needed it.

1.9f is equivalent to -complevel 4. Evilution and Plutonia demos recorded using either 1.9 or 1.9f were accepted for Compet-N. Doom2, AV, HR, MM, MM2, Requiem demos needed 1.9 (only). Therefore no, Prboom+ demos are not accepted.

I don't understand this "are there chances to track down the setting for any of the prboom demo?"

thanks vdgg!

vdgg said:

I don't understand this "are there chances to track down the setting for any of the prboom demo?"

i wondered if it could be checked out which setting were used for a demorecording. for example if it would be possible to figure out if the player recorded with original key config, low resolution and which complevel, therefore if this would allow demos made with different ports from the original DOS one, be following every C-N rule.

but i read something from grazza in another post, stating thats not doable or not allowed anyway (correct me if wrong)

i should have my old doom95 cd around, but I read that this version isnt suited to be updated to 1.9.

Guess i'll annoy tatsurd for more infos about it, or ill simply have to buy again the game (?)

You don't have to buy the game again. All you need is the DOOM/DOOM2.wad from your Doom95 cd then you need the original doom.exe and doom2.exe (+all the other files, excluding .WAD) which are free to download from the internet.

(As far as I know, the original dos version of the doom and doom95 have exactly the same DOOM.wad and DOOM2.wad)

blob1024 said:

i wondered if it could be checked out which setting were used for a demorecording. for example if it would be possible to figure out if the player recorded with original key config, low resolution and which complevel, therefore if this would allow demos made with different ports from the original DOS one, be following every C-N rule.

Compet-n rules are clear: to be valid, it must be recorded with id's original executable, completely unaltered.

The lmp file does not contain information of the type you describe (key config, resolution). There are no differences in the data format for complevels 2, 3 and 4 (Doom2, Ultimate Doom and Final Doom).

okay, back home finally. Anyway I should ahve every executable needed by now then. Since I use win7, do you run it by DOSbox or how else? Sorry to bother you guys with those guides-for-dummies ;)

Well I use Dosbox on Vista, only when I was starting in 2009 I had an old Win98 computer still running and a few demos were recorded the other way.

Erm... are you seriously considering joining us? :) I thought those vanilla C-N folks are a dying sect. There's only 11 players who submitted demo(s) this year, including Altima who's back after many, many years. Last year there were 16 players, in 2009 almost 20...

it really depends if I'm able to play properly with the old settings. I don't mind the high resolution, as I ALWAYS played in old 4:3 ratio and not the highest res, neither the HUD, even if it's kind of a great time-saver I bet!
I was wondering about keysetting/mouse sensitivity the most to be frank. After 11year inactivity lol~ - the last year( s) I've been always troubled by changing keyconfig, because I'm dumb and this requires too long for me somehow. If using vanilla compatible recording doesn't end in being too problematic, then I'll for sure :)
else Ill upload the demo/records I've stored so far in the Iwads in PrBoom+ format

eternal slumber said:

I dunno about other people, but in chocolate-doom I couldn't get the mouse/movement to feel the same as prboom+.

umh yea definitely, thats the first trouble encountered. Even if I saw excellent demos with a clear high sensitivity from some players using the old exe.. or do they simply have a 30m large desk for their mouse? ;P

edit:
silly question follows.
now im a bit confused, chocolate doom is another port, yet not replying the C-N behaviour requested or..?

blob1024 said:

Even if I saw excellent demos with a clear high sensitivity from some players using the old exe.. or do they simply have a 30m large desk for their mouse? ;P

they just maxed the slider, opened the cfg file in an editor and manually tripled the mouse sens value. even c-n allows some limited hacking. ;)

Yea, choco-doom is another port. It's supposed to be almost identical to doom2.exe, but it's still a port so it's not allowed in C-N.

I did edit the cfg file for choco-doom, but I still couldn't get it to feel like prboom+. I didn't know how to disable the acceleration (if I put it to zero, it felt really weird).

sounds bad. Like I said I'm very unconfident on being able to perform "even close" to how (already bad) I do with current Prboom settings.
At least for now I'll go on with pr+, maybe in next holidays ill repeat those C-N demos with original dos one, since I now got it (i just got to remember the right command from dos to start the game+record ^^ but thats np)

posted here for now
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?postid=1025631#post1025631

dew said:

they just maxed the slider, opened the cfg file in an editor and manually tripled the mouse sens value. even c-n allows some limited hacking. ;)

anyway! how/which editors to do so? and how to even check exactly own current settings in prboom (to fit those the very same under doom then)

and old commands -demorecord etc are the same in DOS, or anything particular changes or must be added btw? is the -complevel command still required?

pr+ stores data in prboom-plus.cfg, vanilla in DEFAULT.CFG. edit them in notepad for all i care. ;) just open DEFAULT.CFG and mouse_sensitivity sits on the very top. just experiment with the number as you see fit! i'm not sure it "translates" to pr+ values exactly.

another thing you want to check is joyb_speed, set that to 29. it somehow equals to always run. which, as you may know, is not present in vanilla and you'd need to hold the run key down otherwise.

and of course, you might want to track down novert.com, utility that removes vertical mouse movement. you just run it before you start the game, it loads into memory and stays there.

vanilla command for recording is -record and no, you don't use complevels. :)

One thing I recommend to be careful with dos(box):
When you write ie. line like this:
doom2 -skill 4 -record asdfasdf

Then you go play and hit Q. Then, if you hit TAB by accident while the command line is shown, it will chance the "-record asdfasdf" to "-record ASDFASDF.LMP" which will cause the game to record, but it doesn't save it to any file (AFAIK) because more than 8 characters. I once lost a decent demo this way because I didn't pay much attention to the command line. Of course it's not common mistake but it can happen :) I just hope nobody else does it.

eternal slumber said:

I did edit the cfg file for choco-doom, but I still couldn't get it to feel like prboom+. I didn't know how to disable the acceleration (if I put it to zero, it felt really weird).

With some games, you have to disable mouse acceleration on a system level. Windows calls it "enhanced pointer precision."

Yeah, that's why it took me so long to start using prboom+ instead of prboom (prb+ was affected by "enhanced pointer precision" while prb wasn't, but I didn't know at the time).

But if others haven't had problems tweaking their mouse/movement setups in doom2.exe and choco to feel just like prb+ then it must be something wrong on my end.