Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

What does the exit switch at the end of a DOOM level do?

ASD said:

I've had quite a similar question in my mind that what's behind the gray door at the start of the E1M1? I'm talking about the game story, not technical stuff.

I will try to answer this existential question in an upcoming fanfic of mine which will, among other things, shed some light into Doomguy's darker secrets, reveal the secret behind his speed, and also explain why his adventure started right there and then.

It's going to involve experimental drugs and explosive colorectal chemistry; isn't it?

Gez said:

It's going to involve experimental drugs and explosive colorectal chemistry; isn't it?

Nah. Without spoiling it -too much-, I'd say it's going to be rather ground-to-ground and perhaps lower your admiration towards Doomguy. Colorectal chemistry will only be involved quite tangentially.

ASD said:
I've had quite a similar question in my mind that what's behind the gray door at the start of the E1M1? I'm talking about the game story, not technical stuff.

One of the first things I did when I originally played Doom was to try to open that door. Has anyone ever made a mod of E1M1 that explores what's beyond it? Cause I'd play that...

This is what you meant i think.

Also, getting to the E1M1 Alpha Vid with the airlock like exit, I've seen one .Wad having a similar like exit, however it's That Wad.

the Harris levels, UACLABS.WAD

CODOR said:

One of the first things I did when I originally played Doom was to try to open that door. Has anyone ever made a mod of E1M1 that explores what's beyond it? Cause I'd play that...

KDiZD.

darkreaver said:

Hmmm this thread made me realize...I dont think I`ve used an exit switch in any of the...20 or so maps I`ve made. I always use "walk over exit level" :O

Weird, I never thought about this.

One of the things that I have liked about Doom was that the exit style often changed between episodes. For example, the UAC facilities used a standard exit switch, which makes sense as these are intended to be human-built and accessible locations, nothing out of the ordinary (as far as the realities of Doom is concerned). But as you proceed into the more abstract episodes (like Episode 4, which may or may not be taking place in Hell), the exit style likewise becomes abstract. E4M8, for example, has you falling into the sky, because this map is clearly not located in any sort of human-built location. Likewise, this "pit" exit style became prevalent in Doom 2 and a lot of WADs.

It's why some of my favorite WADs have this attention to detail. How you exit the map is dependent upon the overall style of the series of maps or episodes.

CODOR said:

There is a WAD known as "Doom: One" which tries to put all the E1 maps into one continuous flow. It's shown that E1M1's exit switch triggers the floor, revealed to be an elevator, and it drops down underground into the entrance room of E1M2. (This is how most of the maps work).

Other WADs sometime show the exit switch opening up the walls, revealing more enemies and the real exit switch. I've always assumed that what was intended (and based on the intermission screen), is that the exit switch opens a door (though it may be unseen) that simply leads outside, providing the quickest access to the next UAC facility.

Makes me wonder if anyone has ever done a WAD that actually took place within the Phobos crater, and the various UAC facilities can be seen in the background. Would kind of serve as a transition between each location explored.