Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khorus

Khorus' Speedy Shit - All maps completed, /idgames download available

So Map08 is now ready to kill u. Download here! Screen here!

This one certainly feels like a tribute to the Scythe and Kama Sutra styles (not something I did on purpose, it just turned out that way). Probably my favourite of these maps so far. 2.5 hours.

DeathevokatioN said:

I smell a new Scythe coming along.... ;)

I don't know about that. Scythe has rather deep gameplay. But thanks. :p

MegaDoomer said:

I agree...really hope Khorus keeps this up. This is the best complete freak pop-up project I've seen in a long time. :)

:)

yellowmadness54 said:

Neat stuff, you made there. I don't see how you can work that fast, though.

Thanks! With practice and letting the architecture make the gameplay. Make random lines and holy shit an arachnotron should go there!

Mr. Chris said:

Here's MAP01 through MAP03

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSDZ7IuS4dQ MAP01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCZZO6Epi1I MAP02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdOI1f38F58 MAP03

So was not expecting that at the end of MAP03.

Heh, cool. Was most amusing watching you creep around. I feel bad about M3 now. D:

On that note, I'm archiving each release (both on mediafire and locally) so don't worry about later changes regarding demos. Keep the demos and playthroughs coming :)

DuckReconMajor said:

lots of fun great job

thank you you're kind :)

Well I haven't made any demos but I played MAP01-07. Here's my thoughts:

MAP01: Really fun except for the red key trap.
MAP02: Couldn't figure out how to get the secret but a nice map.
MAP03: One Mancubus didn't teleport in and the map was really awesome until the end when that Hell Knight popped up. I only had 3 health and it killed me.
MAP04: Brilliant start and a really nice map.
MAP05: The start was nice but I didn't like the inner area.
MAP06: Haven't been able to finish yet. It's quite tough but I'll try again. I don't really like this map as much as the others probably cause I got slaughtered so many times.
MAP07: This was IMO the best map loved the Cyberdemon placement and the use of Mancs was awesome.

Keep it up. Now I'm off to play MAP08.

Map09 is now up for download. See a screenshot of it here. 3 hours on this. Hope I haven't made it too tough, though I think I underestimate a lot people. :)

Cacatou said:

Well I haven't made any demos but I played MAP01-07. Here's my thoughts:

MAP01: Really fun except for the red key trap.
MAP02: Couldn't figure out how to get the secret but a nice map.
MAP03: One Mancubus didn't teleport in and the map was really awesome until the end when that Hell Knight popped up. I only had 3 health and it killed me.
MAP04: Brilliant start and a really nice map.
MAP05: The start was nice but I didn't like the inner area.
MAP06: Haven't been able to finish yet. It's quite tough but I'll try again. I don't really like this map as much as the others probably cause I got slaughtered so many times.
MAP07: This was IMO the best map loved the Cyberdemon placement and the use of Mancs was awesome.

Keep it up. Now I'm off to play MAP08.

This is good feedback, thanks. :) Certainly going to hold off on the "spring up the hellknight!" traps. Nice to see map02's armour isn't so easy to get as to be in plain sight.

Yeah, Hell Knight trap at the end of map03 is really unfair IMO. There is just no way to not get hit on your first playthrough.

Khorus said:

Hope I haven't made it too tough, though I think I underestimate a lot people.

The difficulty on this whole set is perfect, imo. It's satisfyingly hard without being frustrating. Ammo and health are tight, but you can usually still survive one mistake. Two, and you're dead. I've died once on almost every map, but I always felt like it was my fault. Well, except that one hell knight trap that's been mentioned a few times already.

Anyway, this project is awesome.

zomg, double digits! Map10 is now up for download, pixelshot here. Pretty damn happy with this one, lots of different combat. 2.5 hours.

I've also fixed a non-teleporting manc mcmanc on Map03, and gave Map06 a tiny bit more ammo at a couple of points. Forgot to deal with the Hellknight though...

Memfis said:

Yeah, Hell Knight trap at the end of map03 is really unfair IMO. There is just no way to not get hit on your first playthrough.

He will face justice (ie. deletion ;) come next update.

Ryathaen said:

The difficulty on this whole set is perfect, imo. It's satisfyingly hard without being frustrating. Ammo and health are tight, but you can usually still survive one mistake. Two, and you're dead. I've died once on almost every map, but I always felt like it was my fault. Well, except that one hell knight trap that's been mentioned a few times already.

Anyway, this project is awesome.

Good to hear, thanks. :)

Not far from another milestone...after Map11 you'll be looking at the city sky!

List of future "milestones" I propose, in order:

Map11 - Entire first episode sky filled
Map15 - Time for that secret exit!
Map31 & 32 - Secret levels!
Map20 - Second episode sky filled!
Map30 - Hopefully you'll get this far; time to submit this new megawad into /incoming!

Again, this is just propsed, I'm not saying it has to turn into a full megawad by any means. But as long as the quality stays, the more maps the better. :) I love the one level a day thing, keep it up! :)

MegaDoomer said:

Not far from another milestone...after Map11 you'll be looking at the city sky!

Ha yes. I've been looking forward to that. :p

EDIT: zomg ninjas. Yeah it might get that far. Not going to kill myself over it, but take it day by day. :)

Khorus said:

Ha yes. I've been looking forward to that. :p

EDIT: zomg ninjas. Yeah it might get that far. Not going to kill myself over it, but take it day by day. :)

Take it as far as you want. No presuure. :)

I do think though that whenever you decide you're done, this should DEFINITELY be uploaded to /incoming.

DooMGo2It said:

This is great stuff, keep up the good work. At this rate you'll have a mega-wad of speedmaps in no time!

Seconded, one map a day is incredible. I wish speedmapping contests had more like a 200 minute timelimit instead of 100. Then we'd probably be seeing compilations like these all the time. :) 100 minutes just is not quite enough. :(

So Map11 is up for download, screen here. Not happy with this one, the initial idea just didn't work. It came out too cramped and such, got my frustration out on the last area. ;) 1.5 hours.

DooMGo2It said:

This is great stuff, keep up the good work. At this rate you'll have a mega-wad of speedmaps in no time!

Thanks. :)

Map 11. UV-Max 3:14
kssht11.lmp - 4.2 KB

This one is quite easy if you use the secret. Without the sphere, it is difficult but still possible. I didn't even know the sphere was there but I just checked during the demo. That's why I took the medikits after opening the secret.

On My system Zdoom won't open the most recent download. I have not had any trouble with the other updates.. zlib error/issue on this map 11 set.

Map12 is up for download, screen here. Back in form now, feel good about this one. :) 2 hours.

Went to a party for a cousin's engagement + business launch so I've been hurrying to get the map finished after getting home from that. :p

Cacatou said:

Map 11. UV-Max 3:14
kssht11.lmp - 4.2 KB

This one is quite easy if you use the secret. Without the sphere, it is difficult but still possible. I didn't even know the sphere was there but I just checked during the demo. That's why I took the medikits after opening the secret.

Yeah, I think the invulnerability is too much for that fight. Removed the secret, might put it back in later if I can think of a beneficial, non OP boost. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Searcher said:

On My system Zdoom won't open the most recent download. I have not had any trouble with the other updates.. zlib error/issue on this map 11 set.

That's strange. I got my desktop back in order yesterday, so I made the zip on that. Try today's upload and see if you get the same issues. If so try another port and see what happens. Works fine on my end.

I am not sure what that was all about but this one opens and plays just fine with all my ports.

Nice to see it back on track. I have enjoyed it so far. thanks.

Note to author, seems MediaFire's gone down the greedy route with the whole "pro" thing now. And it appears you have to now have an account in order to download files from anybody so you need to be signed in or it's no file for you. Which for some reason don't seem to really download to your computer, you open the RAR/zip up inside your browser after it's completed and extract the contents from there. Unless it's dumping these rar/zips in some kind of temporary folder on the computer somewhere and taking up space...

Reminds me of how SendSpace is a joke now, and I remember when they were pretty decent. Seriously, why do people do this for, if it's not broken don't fix it?

Cyanosis said:

Note to author, seems MediaFire's gone down the greedy route with the whole "pro" thing now. And it appears you have to now have an account in order to download files from anybody so you need to be signed in or it's no file for you. Which for some reason don't seem to really download to your computer, you open the RAR/zip up inside your browser after it's completed and extract the contents from there. Unless it's dumping these rar/zips in some kind of temporary folder on the computer somewhere and taking up space...

Reminds me of how SendSpace is a joke now, and I remember when they were pretty decent. Seriously, why do people do this for, if it's not broken don't fix it?

I was able to get a download without Pro. Just tried.

Didn't record a demo but finished this map. It isn't too hard and is a pretty good map. But honestly I didn't enjoy this as much as I enjoyed the previous ones. It was well designed but there was a little ammo imbalance. At the end I had a bit too much. My suggestion is reduce one of the two large cell packs to a small one and add in some shells before the arachnotron battle. I have yet to try map 11 without the secret but it should be a fun map. Just wondering is there gonna be some secret exit on map 15 or not? Keep up the good work. At this rate you ought to end up with a Cacoward for this.

EDIT: Did it on the first try. My suggestion is to decrease the cell ammo a bit because I ended up exiting with 184 cells which is a bit too much. Remove about 40 cells is what I say but I've got to say I thought Spider Masterminds were used really well here. One of the few times they have actually been fun.

Looks like mediafire have gone through a UI change, but I haven't noticed any difference in the download process (I was able to download map12 with no account and no waiting). Worth keeping an eye on for sure.

Map13 is now up for download, screen here. 2.5 hours, pretty happy with it but I think the end needs some tweaking. Also, city maps aren't as much fun to make. Too much f_sky1 height variation.

The current crop of maps seem to be losing the chaotic nature of the early ones, I'll see if I can lean that way a bit more again.

Cacatou said:

Didn't record a demo but finished this map. It isn't too hard and is a pretty good map. But honestly I didn't enjoy this as much as I enjoyed the previous ones. It was well designed but there was a little ammo imbalance. At the end I had a bit too much. My suggestion is reduce one of the two large cell packs to a small one and add in some shells before the arachnotron battle. I have yet to try map 11 without the secret but it should be a fun map. Just wondering is there gonna be some secret exit on map 15 or not? Keep up the good work. At this rate you ought to end up with a Cacoward for this.

EDIT: Did it on the first try. My suggestion is to decrease the cell ammo a bit because I ended up exiting with 184 cells which is a bit too much. Remove about 40 cells is what I say but I've got to say I thought Spider Masterminds were used really well here. One of the few times they have actually been fun.

Certainly much more difficult to balance ammo with the time constraint making this useful feedback so thanks! :) Reduced cell ammo on both maps 11 and 12 and added extra shells on map12.

I've got some ideas for the secret maps. :)

Khorus said:

No map today sorry. Very busy today, and very tired. I'll try and make two tomorrow. :)

you fraud!!!!!!

That's a shame. About map 13 it was pretty good, I liked the start but generally until the end the map was quite easy. When I had three monsters left I said to myself, "These better not all be cyberdemons." I teleport and soon I was dead. I suck against cyberdemons and so I never managed to finish this map. I don't know what exactly to say about the end except maybe a little more ammo because after all you can't see the cybers that well thanks to the trees so a little extra ammo would really help.

Map14 is up for download, yay! Yellow pixel shot here. The architecture kind of sucks numberwang, but hey who cares. I'm happy with this one, flow could be better. But who cares.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, 2 hours.

Tango said:

you fraud!!!!!!

Hey, unlike what you get from those other guys, this is not a pyramid scheme!

Cacatou said:

That's a shame. About map 13 it was pretty good, I liked the start but generally until the end the map was quite easy. When I had three monsters left I said to myself, "These better not all be cyberdemons." I teleport and soon I was dead. I suck against cyberdemons and so I never managed to finish this map. I don't know what exactly to say about the end except maybe a little more ammo because after all you can't see the cybers that well thanks to the trees so a little extra ammo would really help.

I'll work on Map13 some time. Thinking of changing it to two cyberdemons and a small horde of imps, hellknights and such.