Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Do you like Doom 64's music?

Archvile78 said:

As the member who posted after said, each artifacts boost the Unmaker's power.

1 artifact gives it a second laser
2 artifacts increase its firing speed (+ the two laser)
3 artifacts gives it 3 laser (+ firing speed + 2 laser)

Everything just die. I am not sure of the order in which you get the upgrades though.

@yellowmadness: If you used the weapon cheat it also gives you the artifact iirc but i'm not sure if you used the weapon cheat so i can't be sure.

I think you got 1 and 2 mixed up. 1 artifact speeds up the gun while any more gives more lasers. Also, there's a certain password that takes you to Absolution with everything at hand (including the artifacts). I think that's the password ym54 used. The features menu doesn't provide the artifacts, though.

J-selva said:

Also, there's a certain password that takes you to Absolution with everything at hand (including the artifacts). I think that's the password ym54 used. The features menu doesn't provide the artifacts, though.

Must be, I couldn't think of much other excuse for it.

Pretty much the demon head logo seen on the Doom 64 cartridge in various color.

EDIT: Or check the first post on this page, its J-selva avatar but in various color

Lite Sparkle said:

mhm. interesting.

explains why that thing can be found on a lot of locations. (NOT IN THE GAME!)

Uhm...what? There's three secret levels where they can be found.

I never made it that far in the game that I was able to obtain any artifacts. I was able to find the Unmaker, though.
Hectic doesn't count, right?

I got to the artifact from In the Void by great luck. Somehow, I figured where it was going when it disappeared.

For Outpost Omega, I didn't even know where to begin to look and even then, the steps that followed are quite cryptic.

The Lair (is it?) artifact isn't tough to get, just obscure from vision for the average player.

Back on topic, speaking of The Layer (and Altar of Pain), their music. The Doom64 version of it sounds more menacing, while the PSX version has a sort of depressing/sad feel to it.

Yea, I like it.. also like the playstation Doom music.. and also liked Quake 1 music as it was somewhat similar. I've been thinking I'll start doing some similar music too.

GoatLord said:

Uhm...what? There's three secret levels where they can be found.

I meant Game Cartridge And Instruction Booklet, that they can be found there on some locations.

Speaking of the artifacts, I dare say they--and the path you take to get to Hectic--are the most well hidden secrets in any commercial Doom game. I managed to find the Doom and Doom 2 secret levels without any walkthroughs, but I was unable to find two of the three maps containing the artifacts without help from the Internet. I would have never known about Hectic without Internet resources.

I wouldn't really call the secret exit to Hectic well-hidden as much as absurd. It would make someone think that you had to have been VERY bored to figure that out by yourself.

Yeah, it's so unconventional that even hardcore Doomers would probably not think, "What if I shot ALL the barrels but left one at the beginning so that when I shoot it last, a door opens up behind me?" I mean, WHAT?

Accessing Hectic is most definitely a Guide Dang It moment. Probably one of the most evil examples, actually.

I'm guessing the uncharacteristic placement of a barrel in the secret closet near the blue key is the closest to an indication.

Yeah, actually, you're right. I forgot about that one. And the teleporter back to the start there seems a bigger clue.

The setup for the barrel-triggered secret opening in MAP01 is actually less complex than it might seem; in Doom 64, actions can be set to trigger when all things with a certain tag have died, so all the barrels in the level are tagged "8", and the corresponding line lowers a lift when you destroy the last barrel.

The same functionality is used in other levels, but with monsters replacing barrels, which are more obvious targets. It doesn't require any macro scripting, and Doom 64 actually has a number of more complex/elaborate/cryptic bits if you look for them.

Like what? The only other cryptic secret I can think of is the passage to get to the second secret map, which involves pulling switches by some circular elevation pads in a particular order. Can't remember the name of the map.

GoatLord said:

Like what? The only other cryptic secret I can think of is the passage to get to the second secret map, which involves pulling switches by some circular elevation pads in a particular order. Can't remember the name of the map.

I believe the map you're talking about is Holding Area. I could never figure out those switches or what they were for until I looked it up.

Lite Sparkle said:

Never found the secret levels, which explain my not knowing of the artifacts.

What do the artifacts look like?

I suggest you find them, in my opinion they're some of the best levels in the game, especially the last 2. In the Void is just creepy as fuck.

Christ I love that version of Doom. I think it's time for an EX runthrough.

jdagenet said:

I believe the map you're talking about is Holding Area. I could never figure out those switches or what they were for until I looked it up.

I honestly can't remember if I figured that out on my own or not. I know the entrance to Hectic I had to look up, and then found that I couldn't exploit its secrets, although apparently its possible to do that too. As someone mentioned, I wouldn't say its IMPOSSIBLE but I think it's unlikely someone actually figured out the entrance to Hectic.

I could see someone figuring those 4 switches out though because, if I recall correctly, if you hit the right one first the pillars do move. Then if you hit an incorrect one the lost souls come, which would tip you off that there's a correct order to hit them to keep them moving until they align without releasing the lost souls. It's been a while though and I could be remembering that wrong.