• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phobosdeimos1

Someone make me a Birthday WAD (please)

Your response to this thread:  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Your response to this thread:

• Shut up phobosdeimos1 you ffff.. If I could I\'d take a shit directly on your grave
    • Ok, but expect it to symbolise your awful presence in this forum.

Oh yeah, my birthday was Sept. 24, but sadly my comp was dead then and I forgot to let anyone know beforehand. Will someone make me a belated birthday wad? I'd like a good challenge, but not a slaughter-map.

Just say no if you don't want to, I won't whine. :)

MegaDoomer said:

So far I'd say you, Kyka, purist, and marginally PHML have made maps that warrant actual normal releases.

Kyka's map is a different thread tho, and it requires a port.

MAP02 in October.wad crashes Chocolate Doom after hitting the switch behind the blue door. I don't know why and I can't fix it. There's no problems with it working in PRBoom+. If someone could download and take a look I'd appreciate it. I have updated the map a little and started MAP03.

purist said:

MAP02 in October.wad crashes Chocolate Doom after hitting the switch behind the blue door. I don't know why and I can't fix it. There's no problems with it working in PRBoom+. If someone could download and take a look I'd appreciate it. I have updated the map a little and started MAP03.

I couldn't reproduce any crash directly related to that switch, but did get visplane overflows in a couple of places. I hit the first VPO after opening up the Romero head alcove and then looking back toward the main hall, and the second one a few seconds after exiting the switch room with the blue door.

@Mithran Denizen: I don't think I can fix that without making major changes to the level so I guess that makes my map limit-removing. I know vanilla is restrictive but I didn't think I'd run into VPO issues with a map as basic as this.

@phobosdeimos1: Nice. Thanks for that, I played through in SP and it was pretty fun - but weird, as you say :-)

Late as usual. Bit off more than I could chew as always. Here's MAP01 - MAP03 of October.wad for phobosdeimos1, Marnermar and NoneeLlama.

Enjoy

If no-one reports any serious bugs I'll upload to /idgames. Sorry to the other guys I was hoping to map for. Maybe next year.

To be read in a high-pitched childlike voice with no pauses:

"Dear Father Birthday,

For my Birthday this year on the 15th of November I will be 22 years old. This makes me unhappy, as I am no longer young anymore and that means I'm going to be old soon. To cheer me up, I'd like a Doom map for my Birthday. Can you get the people on Doomworld to make me one? If they could make more that would be great, but even just one would be great too.

Thank you for reading my letter.
Your's sincerely,
James 'Phobus' Cresswell"

;)

Even though I haven't been able to continue my work lately, I can still make new maps. I'm making a map for Purist's birthday and it's almost done so I'll post it up shortly. I may get around to making a map for 1ntru, DeathevocatioN and Phobus as well.

Heh, I can't keep up with all these birthdays.

[EDIT] Here's Purist's birthday map; complete with plenty of blur artifacts populating the level: http://www.mediafire.com/?exki1l6enlqwggx

And yes, vanilla compatible.

[EDIT] Whoops. Somehow the tag for the last exit area was removed. Check the link again for the updated version.

Well done NoneeLlama :-) I admire your patience and persistance. I really thought I broke you the first time you were offed by the AV, there was a moment where you hesitated before restarting where I was sure you would quit. The key for me is to play conservatively with the hitscanners in the first area. You're let off the leash a little after that. I think I will add a secret at the beginning. A blursphere would be a godsend here. An easter egg I intended was to replace the Romero heads sprite with a birthday cake but my sprite attempt was poor!

Thanks for your wad valkiriforce. I'll try to play it this weekend along with another attempt at the level NoneeLlama made for me.

What does everyone think about compiling these maps together? They are all kind of within the same spirit and would be a more note-worthy release than if uploaded seperately.

purist said:

I think I will add a secret at the beginning. A blursphere would be a godsend here.

ANY health would have been a godsend. :D But putting a soulsphere at the beginning would kinda defeat the whole purpouse of the "lava-run". Maybe hide a medkit in a secret somewhere, but place some health bonuses around the level.

An easter egg I intended was to replace the Romero heads sprite with a birthday cake but my sprite attempt was poor!

That's a pity, as it would have looked cool.

What does everyone think about compiling these maps together? They are all kind of within the same spirit and would be a more note-worthy release than if uploaded seperately.

I wouldn't mind. And we could call it something like "Doomsday Party".

I'll add your map to mine then NoneeLlama and if anyone else consents in the next week or so I'll add there's too before uploading to /idgames.

If you really want the levels I made in there then go ahead and put them in, I'll just make my own little separate vanilla file aside from the source port file.

I don't mind either way really. If you plan to upload them seperately anyway there seems little point. I was just holding off uploading in case others wanted to add their maps.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that I'd upload them separately anyway. What I meant was that if you want the levels in the WAD that's fine, I'll just have my own personalized file that separates between vanilla levels and port levels. I did make the levels for you and phobosdeimos1, after all.

Oh, I see - I'll include them. I think there's only one map that requires a port and that's the map I made for Marnetmar. It needs a limit removing port beause of marginal VPOs in two spots so if you're worried about your map sticking out aesthetically - it won't. If you're more concerned about people needing to use a port to play your level I'll try and iron out those VPOs.

EDIT: I've played a bit of my birthday map and it's fun. I'm having to squeeze casual playing between work on Progressive Fiction but I will have another blast on it soon.

Fuck me was that confusing! Pretty tough on UV too, I think (even allowing for the drinking I've been doing). Didn't find a single secret and when I managed 100% kills I couldn't kill the Romero head at the trap-ending, so that might want looking at.

Thanks for the map though :)

How were you not able to kill the Romero head? Did you not find the switch or what? I'd be curious to hear more specifications to this as well as whatever it was you found confusing so I can look into it.

I couldn't find a switch in that room at all - is it on one of the pillars or something?

As for confusing - it was more that the switches gave no indication of what they were doing, so I had to run around the map half the time to discover what the next step was. I mean, sometimes it was quite clear that the central room had been altered - other times I was doing stuff that'd normally seem like secret hunting (the lift to the red key bars in particular).

I think it's mostly that the map emphasised exploration after finding each "objective" which made it confusing. There was rarely a clear line of sight between a switch and what it did, afterall.

I might not have the time to play the re-done version until Sunday now, but rest assured thta I will give it another try! It'd be rather ungrateful of me to not, afterall!

Double Post... but: Played through it again now. Very nice - spent extra time working out the secrets seeing as you'd now put in some more obvious hints to the normal progression of the map.

I'll have to get on with playing through Reverie it'd appear :P

Sorry, there was a flurry of activity in the Progressive Fiction project that distracted me from this.

I've quickly compiled the maps consented to be bundled and zipped them up with a bare minimum text file. I've not done added any graphics for the titlepic or level names and haven't done a Dehacked patch for the automaps. Not all the levels were named I don't think anyway.

Do you and NoneeLlama want to check you're OK with it and if so I can upload? Meanwhile, if anyone else who made birthday maps for the October birthdays want their maps included nows the time to say...

Download

Just played through the first few levels; very good stuff!

However, the game crashed when I reached MAP04 since I guess it's missing the textures that I used on phobosdeimos1's map. I took the liberty of adding the textures myself so here's the same WAD with the missing textures: http://www.mediafire.com/?i4cvl255s4fchf4

I actually didn't have a problem playing this in vanilla, either. :) The only other small thing I think is worth pointing out is there is an easily fixable tutti-frutti effect on MAP03. Just lower sectors 53, 54, 62 & 63 by 16 units and it'll disappear.