Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Two dozen millionaires demand congress raise their taxes

Read and discuss.

>>> http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/16/news/economy/tax_millionaires/

"We want to pay more taxes," said California millionaire Doug Edwards, a former marketing director for Google (GOOG, Fortune 500). "If you're fortunate, and you make more than a million dollars a year, you ought to pay more taxes."

In my opinion. This is great but strange... And I think anyone willing to give up money might be absued. Like giving the government millions more per year. Thanks now we can finally make sure all stop signs are turned into green ovals!

I think one huge issue is that while America's corporate tax rate is one of the highest in the world(35%), there are so many loopholes that many businesses end up paying no taxes or even earning money from the IRS. Since many savvy millionaires know how to tie much of their wealth up in corporations, making it subject to these loopholes, they get away with paying little or no taxes. I think the corporate tax rate should be lowered, perhaps to 16% like in Canada, but these ridiculous loopholes should be eliminated.

Having said that, the tax rates for citizens in the millionaire bracket who don't make use of tricks or loopholes are high enough as is.

Most people support the closing of tax loopholes, until it gets up to congress, which have been so magnificently tone-deaf on the needs of their constituents that they have an approval rating lower than the unemployment rate.

Again, NOTHING is stopping anyone from giving the government more money. If you say "I should pay more taxes" then fucking pay more taxes.

Scuba Steve said:

Not to be a Democratic troll... but it's only the republican party that isn't doing this. Only. The. Republican. Party.

Isn't doing what, exactly? Both parties are totally corrupt.

Vordakk said:

Isn't doing what, exactly? Both parties are totally corrupt.

yeah, but one is so chaotic evil that you can watch them as they flail. There are still some democrats that aren't total numbskulls, which I guess i can't say as much to the republicans (they used to have very good , sensible people on the STATE level, but since the tea party they all got assraped in the voting booth).

while the democrats have their bad apples (like banning video games, and biden being a fucking idiot when it comes to computer) the republicans on the top seem to take pride in being the biggest dicks possible.

Csonicgo said:

yeah, but one is so chaotic evil that you can watch them as they flail. There are still some democrats that aren't total numbskulls, which I guess i can't say as much to the republicans (they used to have very good , sensible people on the STATE level, but since the tea party they all got assraped in the voting booth).

while the democrats have their bad apples (like banning video games, and biden being a fucking idiot when it comes to computer) the republicans on the top seem to take pride in being the biggest dicks possible.

Specifics??? Making blanket statements about "Republicans" paints you as hopelessly ignorant. Ron Paul is a Republican, also a libertarian and probably one of the most sensible politicians around. You guys are like Sith, you speak in absolutes.

Vordakk said:

Ron Paul is a Republican, also a libertarian and probably one of the most sensible politicians around.

*spittake*

Absolutes are things like changing the party's goal from making the country better into making Obama a one-term president. How more absolute can you get? That's so sith it's scary.

when Republicans... sensible republicans.. break through the teaparty noise machine, then maybe I'll take the GOP seriously again. If they're just going to sit back and let their party go to shit, then get used to the insult snuggie. "one dime on a gallon of gas" isn't breaking through, it's reinforcing.

Its the underlying problem people are not seeing. If you raise the rate big business and millionaires are taxed and leave the loop holes, they will still end up paying well below what they should be. These millionaire are simply trying to make them self's look like the good guys when every damn one of them is a rat. Get rid of the loop holes.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/general-electric-paid-federal-taxes-2010/story?id=13224558#.TsSQ7PJ-6A8

Csonicgo said:

Absolutes are things like changing the party's goal from making the country better into making Obama a one-term president. How more absolute can you get? That's so sith it's scary.

I'm not sure if it's possible for you to be any more stupid. The aim of ANY political party is to get one of its members into office and defeat a rival member. Ergo, Republicans want to defeat Obama(a Democrat) BY DEFAULT, you fool.

Furthermore, if you can tell me where the Republican Party officially said that its "goal" was to make Obama a one-term president, I'd be impressed. Individuals may have said that, like Mitch McConnell, but the entire party never co-opted that as its mantra.

Another Jon Stewart zombie in action.

Tarnsman said:
Again, NOTHING is stopping anyone from giving the government more money. If you say "I should pay more taxes" then fucking pay more taxes.

I try this, every year they just deposit it right back into my bank account. Maybe it's a Canadian thing, I don't know...

Alright alright, don't misunderstand me now: Feeding the beast will only make it stronger.

Butts said:

Alright alright, don't misunderstand me now: Feeding the beast will only make it stronger.

Yeah, considering the government doesn't know how to properly handle money.

Vordakk said:

I'm not sure if it's possible for you to be any more stupid. The aim of ANY political party is to get one of its members into office and defeat a rival member. Ergo, Republicans want to defeat Obama(a Democrat) BY DEFAULT, you fool.

Furthermore, if you can tell me where the Republican Party officially said that its "goal" was to make Obama a one-term president, I'd be impressed. Individuals may have said that, like Mitch McConnell, but the entire party never co-opted that as its mantra.

Another Jon Stewart zombie in action.

Let's look at the other side of the coin. What if anything has the gop and there front runners said that would get this country out of debit, remove the tax loop holes and ensure every one is paying there fair share in fed taxes with out directy benfiting the rich or corperate america? Nothing so far.

Vordakk said:

Mitch McConnell, but the entire party never co-opted that as its mantra.

But as senate minority leader it would be silly to think he doesn't have a lot of sway over party policy and opinion. Besides, his particular statement doesn't need to be something officially 'official' from the party, it's simply an obvious statement on the general direction they undertake in regard to their political strategy.

Huh, that's weird. I just came back and read the thread title again, and before I could've sworn the number was higher than two dozen. I think my brain is retconning things just to troll me.

Ok, so if Republicans are the only thing holding the Dems back from changing America into a utopia, then why didn't Obama close the tax loopholes, bring home the troops, make everything transparent, and hold big unions, corporations, and Wall Street accountable when he was first elected? BOTH HOUSES were Democratically controlled; he could have rammed anything he wanted through. But that's just it. He's not a lot different from Bush, except darker-skinned. The "hope-and-change" rhetoric was a total farce, 'cause it's business as usual in Washingotn D.C. right now. The two-party system is a giant lie, it's one big party that gives an illusion of being two distinct entities so that people feel good about voting in November. Jesse Ventura said it best when he said "politics in America today is identical to pro wrestling". Those people may seem to hate each other, but they're all on the same team at the end of the day.

As I said before if obama was the man he said he was he would have been using his power of exutive order from day one. Just like FDR did. No where did I say the dems are innocent. One party will be nice enough to use some lube, the other side does not. No matter who wins we get.....I'm sue you know where I'm going with that.

hah, poilicts are so bad you can compare it to wrestling?
they all sure has forgotten what is to be done to make their land an people to be healthy and ok, what they forgot is that they're responsible for some(million)tons of shit the spilled out onto the rest of this planet.
lucky this world isnt radioactive yet. :P

Vordakk said:

Ok, so if Republicans are the only thing holding the Dems back from changing America into a utopia, then why didn't Obama close the tax loopholes, bring home the troops, make everything transparent, and hold big unions, corporations, and Wall Street accountable when he was first elected? BOTH HOUSES were Democratically controlled; he could have rammed anything he wanted through. But that's just it. He's not a lot different from Bush

You are 100% correct. It'd be a pity if Obama got elected for a second term. He is a spineless puppet who hasn't done a whole lot to prove he's a better leader than Bush since he's been elected. Change? I hate to say it, but a large portion of his marketing campaign to get him into where he is now was partly funded by Zionist banks who control Wall Street, and obviously would benefit from America keeping their troops in the middle east killing Israel's enemies and stealing their oil supply, I highly doubt Obama really had the intention to bring the troops back in the first place.

The only person who'd probably really do anything with regards to bringing the troops back, ending the fed, would have to be Ron Paul, infact the signs that the media are trying to censor him and aren't hyping him into oblivion show that he is a REAL threat to the status quo and not just some useless gimmick like Obama is. And also, Ron Paul has been the most consistant candidate so far who had the same message from the start of his campaign, to mix conservative spending policies with liberal social policies, if I'm correct. I'm not even going to defend the other Republicans that are running for president though, Mccain, Perry, and let alone George Bush's reign of office. Fuck them.

Vordakk said:

I think one huge issue is that while America's corporate tax rate is one of the highest in the world(35%), there are so many loopholes that many businesses end up paying no taxes or even earning money from the IRS. Since many savvy millionaires know how to tie much of their wealth up in corporations, making it subject to these loopholes, they get away with paying little or no taxes. I think the corporate tax rate should be lowered, perhaps to 16% like in Canada, but these ridiculous loopholes should be eliminated.

I stand behind this.

Granted, Obama is a spineless shill, but that doesn't excuse the Republican Party's behavior. They've been trying to sabotage the Democrats for the past few years (more like the past 35 years, ever since Jimmy Carter became president) and using that as their primary goal. At the expense of even TRYING to look like they give a shit about the country. Okay, so the "one-term president" thing MIGHT just be what the Republican mouth-pieces are saying, but what about the whole "party of no" mantra they were spouting before. AKA the "let's throw a huge tantrum while the whole country sinks like a rusty canoe" movement. Seriously, what the fuck was that all about?

I'd like to see one Republican, just ONE actually come up with a reasonable solution to fixing our country instead of just trying to be contrary to the democrats.

And as for Ron Paul, I really don't get why all these liberals and libertarians get behind him when he is anti-abortion and anti-evolution. Do people actually listen to what he's fucking saying?

Danarchy said:

but what about the whole "party of no" mantra they were spouting before.

They disagreed with the policies of the Democrats. Rightly so, I might add. It was more tax and spend nonsense which has proven not to work in the past. How exactly are we going to become financially solvent as a country by raising the debt limit and spending more?

Danarchy said:
I'd like to see one Republican, just ONE actually come up with a reasonable solution to fixing our country instead of just trying to be contrary to the democrats.[/B]

There have been TONS of "reasonable solutions" as you put it. They've all been shot down because Democrats still control the White House and the Senate. Paul Ryan's plan to trim government spending leaps to mind. You haven't looked hard enough.

Danarchy said:
And as for Ron Paul, I really don't get why all these liberals and libertarians get behind him when he is anti-abortion and anti-evolution. Do people actually listen to what he's fucking saying? [/B]

Abortion is a social issue, dude. Quite a few politicians on both sides are anti-abortion. But Ron Paul clearly stated that regulation of medical decisions about maternal or fetal health is "best handled at the state level". So in other words if he got elected president, he'd let the states decide individually whether they wanted abortion or not, which is in line with the Constitution. It's Ron Paul's take on the economy, foreign policy, and limiting government that are important.

Grain of Salt said:

Ooops, so it appears that Ron Paul is a Christian who believes in the bible and gave his honest opinion regarding evolution, there goes the "free thinking" atheist fan base then?

You can correct me and call me an idiot if you want, and I'd be happy to be corrected if I'm thinking about this the wrong way, but something is really bothering me here... can you enlighten what a yes or no answer on the theory of evolution has to do with determining whether someone is fit to do what they are really good at? And I ask this as an atheist and a moderate supporter of evolution who has accepted that different people have different views on everything, aren't people entitled to the beliefs of their religion? It's not really like he worded his argument all that poorly either, it more seemed to be a polite way of saying "I don't really care, there are more pressing issues to debate", which I tend to agree with, in fact I care as much about every candidates opinion on evolution about as much as I care for every candidates star sign. There are far more real issues that were debated focusing on areas that actually relate to the policies he'd implement if he got into power, and the policies he was fighting against, he made a much bigger impact on those areas and those were the real focus of his campaign.

And honestly, if that really is his real and honest opinion then I'm glad he didn't lie about it or try to adopt a more mainstream opinion like the rest of the mouth pieces who say one thing and then do another when they get into power (I'm looking at you, Obama). And Christianity is no more insane and baseless than this new IAEA report that Nobama is using to enforce crippling sanctions on Iran... sorry I just had to add a pot shot in. :)

DeathevokatioN said:

can you enlighten what a yes or no answer on the theory of evolution has to do with determining whether someone is fit to do what they are really good at?

Acknowledging facts should be a pretty compulsory for anyone in such positions, I think. I wouldn't like any person not capable of that making decisions affecting me and my surroundings.

Millionaires wanting Obama Christianity evolutio.....wait where the hell is this thread going? Just scrolled down to make a comment and already forgot what I was gonna say...

The government won't fix anything. They don't know how to even fucking think. They look at their books and say "Oh yeah, we're democrats (or whatever) we gotta ACT like democrats. What do democrats do? TAX!" Or, "We're republicans, we're a bunch of old ass greedy men who are hell of miserable and always worried about money, and oh yeah we're supposed to be christian or some bullshit and have strict traditional approach. No extramarital sex. Let's go get hookers."

They are a bunch of fucking children playing with the countries resources. And they are hypocrites. And they are horrible examples for real children.