Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Melon

Would there be interest in a C-N-like for more modern wads?

xit-vono said:

If you are going to try to replace compet-n, then I suggest allowing chocolate doom, but not prboom. I consider prboom+ to be a TAS tool, and it's too much to expect people to use it without any of the features that could assist the player. Of course it will still require honesty since we can't tell what port is used though.

This is actually an interesting point. For vanilla wads such as Reverie and the sort, choco Doom really should be the port of choice, while reserving PrBoom for limit-removing and boom-compatible projects. Unfortunately, this also creates the potential for confusion and frustration. Making a decision on this is probably one of the more important things up in the air for this idea.

I agree it's an interesting point, but only because the majority of demos for the original compet-n wads were recorded with doom2.exe. Allowing prboom on the original wads after all this time would be weird.

As for new(ish) vanilla wads, I don't see why doom2.exe would automatically be the port-of-choice for recording. All of the reverie demos so far have been recorded with prboom. I'd say, just allow prboom for everything except the original compet-n wads.

eternal slumber said:

By the way, I might have misunderstood, but is there something in the prboom movement code that differentiates itself from doom2.exe? That way you could tell if a demo is prboom.

There is but entryway removed it in prb+.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself properly and have caused some confusion, here's my current plan which has changed slightly since the first post:

1) Email Adam and see if he is OK with me reviving C-N.
2a) If Adam says yes, then revive C-N, continuing it with all of the previous rules (such as only use doom2.exe). I probably wouldn't add any more wads to the mix (maybe Master Levels at most). Getting through the 6 year backlog of submissions would be my main priority.
2b) Adam says no or does not respond (likely). Make a competitve site similar to C-N but not actually C-N as detailed in the first post. It would not have the iwads and pwads C-N currently uses as wads valid for competition, because there's no real point. It would use PrBoom+ so that wads with Boom format levels could be competed over if people would prefer to compete over a Boom wad.

If 2a were to happen, I would probably eventually do 2b as well, although the leaderboards would be separate to C-N, and it would likely be called something else despite being hosted in the same place.

In my opinion the forums and the DSDA already do all this without all the meddling. I think that periodic contests and organized demo packs for new WADs or ones that have not gotten much attention could do more to add activity than yet another website to check for demos and more attempts at having authorities to determine records.

Personally I would like to see Boom maps added to the competition. I'm no great speedrunner, but wads like SOD deserve attention. I say just do 2b, cuz more wads are available this way anyhow, and cut out having to contact someone who at this point either doesn't care or doesn't want to/have time to.