Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wraith777

Vanilla TrickLand

HI

Yes, it is I, Wraith - creator of Wonderful Doom (and a few SP maps for various projects also). There is another doomer with same name
and he often posts his works here (recently there are heretic maps).
NOTE: MY email is Wraith77713@mail.ru..

Now to the point. Although I`m an orthodox vanillist, I do like to develop vanilla tricks. Now I have pretty much of them stored unused and I`d like to share ideas with other mappers.

Don`t worry, I will NOT teach you how to:
-build 3d bridges
-make a deep water
-build fake walls/floors/ceilings
-perform voodoo tricks (well, atleast not simple ones)
-use multiple lindef/sector actions
-{insert other common and well known vanilla trick}

I always try and search if the idea I have was already voiced before. But, since I just can`t re-read all the internets, I ask you for understanding if you ''have seen this trick somewhere before''. Still, I hope that few of them will be useful and I dream that atleast one will someday make it to someones Doom Tricks Guide ;).

All tricks are tested in Doom.exe under DosBox, so they are 100% vanilla. Also, I test them under ZDoom

The more people will be interested in all this, the more chances for tutorials to appear.

So, today I`d like to introduce a few of my most important tricks, implemented in a small playable level: HANGAR17
http://www.mediafire.com/?9a7jt4wddgdiedn
Some details are in .txt
[Comments on this one, please]

Other tricks will appear soon..

That's a pretty neat trick! Unfortunately, I managed to break it by going back and forth between the triggers repeatedly, until an illusionary ceiling lowered to the floor and caused HOM all over the walls. Also such a thing would almost certainly break in Multiplayer.

also:

orthodox vanillist

Pottus said:

Seemed pretty buggy/bad visuals in Skulltag :\

This wad relies on a bunch of sector re-referencing that really only works for the software renderer, so if you play it in a port with an OpenGL mode, the effects will not look right. The wad shows some flawlessly executed tricks, but it's nothing we haven't seen before. I'd be more impressed if someone made liberal use of these in a more serious wad of higher visual quality. Don't let my opinion stop you from continuing whatever you have planned, though, Wraith.

Wraith said:

All tricks are tested in Doom.exe under DosBox, so they are 100% vanilla. Also, I test them under ZDoom

With ZDoom (and related ports) and mouselook on, there is a nasty visual glitch

However, if one restricts oneself to DOOM.exe or a software renderer port with mouselook off, then the trick will work well enough, since the glitch has disappeared by the time the top of the building comes into view.

Wraith said:

... But, since I just can`t re-read all the internets, I ask you for understanding if you ''have seen this trick somewhere before''....

Most tricks have been covered by Jens Hykkelbjerg in his example pwad spcial12.zip. But who knows, there may still be something to be discovered.

I'm not sure, but it might be possible to create heretofore-unseen tricks by manually editing a level's nodes.

Wagi said:

That's a pretty neat trick! Unfortunately, I managed to break it by going back and forth between the triggers repeatedly, until an illusionary ceiling lowered to the floor and caused HOM all over the walls. Also such a thing would almost certainly break in Multiplayer.

Yes, it may some times break if you move too fast. Also, it`s designed only for SP (like 3d-brige trick).

Pottus said:

Seemed pretty buggy/bad visuals in Skulltag :\

Well, then it`s not designed for Skulltag (and for the sourceports at all).

EarthQuake said:

This wad relies on a bunch of sector re-referencing that really only works for the software renderer, so if you play it in a port with an OpenGL mode, the effects will not look right. The wad shows some flawlessly executed tricks, but it's nothing we haven't seen before. I'd be more impressed if someone made liberal use of these in a more serious wad of higher visual quality. Don't let my opinion stop you from continuing whatever you have planned, though, Wraith.

Thanx, but I like to only make tricks, not to build maps with them :). I Don`t like GL and hires (higher than 320x200) in Doom - it looks too unnatural for me, so I make all tricks look normal only for software mode. And, buy the way, I don`t think, that you`ve seen anywhere instantly raising\lowering of sectors CEILING..

Kappes Buur said:

However, if one restricts oneself to DOOM.exe or a software renderer port with mouselook off, then the trick will work well enough, since the glitch has disappeared by the time the top of the building comes into view.

Exactly that you should do - run it in doom.exe! Or, atleast, turn off mouselook in Zdoom.

Kappes Buur said:

Most tricks have been covered by Jens Hykkelbjerg in his example pwad spcial12.zip. But who knows, there may still be something to be discovered.

No-o-ou, I saw them all and there is NO trick with instantly raising/lowering hight of ceiling (sectors hight) ;). So, there IS something discovered.
In Hykkelbjerg`s demo`s player should change his vertical position in order to ''see the difference''. In Hangar17 you`re walking around on the SAME 0-point hight seeing pillars above building and it`s ceiling inside, without going down and up.
Also, scrolling texture right is NOT based on famous TRUCK.wad.

udderdude said:

Even if they aren't new, it's always good to get new examples.

If no one will be interested in raw demo exapmles, maybe a better implementations will occur later.

Creaphis said:

I'm not sure, but it might be possible to create heretofore-unseen tricks by manually editing a level's nodes.

Maybe (and moreover YES), but I don`t work with NODES, REJECTS, BLOCKMAP - too headblowing to understand something. I use steam technology`s :), working only with good old DoomBuilder 1, Dehacked, XWE and nothing more..

Well, I must repeat again, those are VANILLA tricks! This means, they should work right in VANILLA. So, if they have gliches in source ports(for which they`re NOT designed), then it`s rather source ports problem, not trick`s :).

Yes, it all may look complex and unuseful, but it looks nice on software without mouselook and with 320x200. Come on people, this IS Doom you`ve played, killing your first Cyber long ago (if you`r the same veteran as I).

So, let me explain what`s my meaning of term vanilla trick, so that anyone could avoid any unnecessary remarks about technical problems in future:
1) Most of all this is just for.. well, you know :). I don`t have any serious plans other than 'My Wad' (stay tuned for a new thread).
2) You should use Doom or Doom2.exe in 1 place
3) I show only demo and explain basic principles of trick for other mappers, not the playable map for end-user. But, if you insist I can build something playable that will squeeze out all juices from my tricks and make level look like something special.
4) If you actually use sourceport, than turn off mouselook, jumping, lower resolution. Otherwise, don`t say something about visible gliches..
5) please, read .txt`s carefully.

Cool WAD. I'm love seeing how much you can squeeze out of the vanilla doom engine.

A few months ago I created a room-over room effect in which both ceilings and floors used different flats (unlike the one in Requiem) and was compatible with ZenNode. Has this been done before?