Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
foul_owl

Extracting flats with deutex

I have attempted to use deutex to extract the textures from doom2.wad so I can modify them, but not all of the textures are showing up. For example, I can't find the textures ASHWALL3 or EXITDOOR.

Running deutex with the -xtract flag. Am I just not using it right?

Thanks!

I haven't used the program in some time, but I believe deutex extracts the graphics as their constituent patches (as do most utilities), rather than as the textures as seen in-game or in a map editor. This is normal and generally desirable behaviour.

So, for example, ASHWALL3 (a single-patch texture) will be extracted as "RW22_2", while EXITDOOR (a texture composed of multiple patches) will be extracted as "DOOR3_6", "DOOR3_4", "DOOR3_5", and "T14_5".

All the info required for texture assembly is in the TEXTURE* lumps, which DeuTex thoughtfully saves as plain text files.

foul_owl said:

How are patches assembled to make a texture that you see in the game?

DEUtex, while still useful and preferred by some, is a relic of the past.

For a visual representation of TEXTUREx, either use XWE

or the more uptodate Slade3

If you're *nix user, Yadex can also save the full texture to a PPM image file (viewtex, then shift-f1 to save).

I am running Ubuntu. My goal here is to just have a folder of images that are all the wall textures as rendered in game.

Are there any tools which can do that?

I did find a mirror of the unofficial Doom specs, so I am starting to read that. Pretty interesting stuff!

If Ubuntu doesn't already have a compiled version, get xwadtools from here:
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/source/

It's basically a grab-bag of useful Doom tools for *nix. Most of them are traditional CLI programs, so they can be scripted, etc. The one you're interested in is wadtex. If you run it like this:
$ wadtex -i /path/to/your/doom.wad
It will extract all combined textures from that IWAD into PPM files.

Btw, xwadtools also includes deutex, but it's an older version (4.4.0). You can find the latest version on the Yadex author's site:
http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/
Then again, Ubuntu might already have a binary for it.

Edit: oops, looks like he "hid" the latest deutex here:
http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/deutex/fungus/
Also, I just noticed there are a few xwadtools patches on his homepage. Never tried them, but they sound useful...

Thanks, that sounds exactly what I need. Now to sort out the build errors haha.

buildbsp.c:238:8 error: conflicting types for 'round'

gcc 4.5.2 if that helps

However, I don't think buildbsp.c is needed for wadtex, but I tried
make -f Makefile.lin wadtex

and it says "nothing to be done for wadtex" but I can't find the binary anywhere.

Thanks!!

The makefile doesn't have a "wadtex" target, so that's why it complains. It's pretty much just for building the whole set of tools...

I do remember having to fix some things so it would compile on my machine (OpenBSD 4.7). Looks like I just commented out lines 238-298 in idbsp/buildbsp.c. because the function in question was unused and the name conflicts with my /usr/include/math.h. That will probably work for you also, but there's another dozen things to fix. It might be easier for you if you can find an Ubuntu or Debian binary package (I think you can use Debian binaries in Ubuntu?)

It annoys me to no end when things won't build out of the box haha.

Looked around a bit, but couldn't find a deb for it.

Do you think you could send me your fixed source?

Awesome, thanks! I did manage to get it to build and run fine, but I did have to make a few more tweaks to the source.

Also, I did get a Windows machine set up, but I can't figure out how to extract textures to bitmaps with SLADE3.

Also, I know that other people's maps use the textures from Doom2, but what if I extracted the textures to bitmaps, made a few modifications to the textures, and use those in my maps, but make it a PWAD that requires Doom2 to run, and also use some of the original textures from the Doom2 WAD? I would like to expand upon Doom2's textures, but make them in similar styles to existing textures to use along with them, so in many cases this would require using an ID software asset as a starting point. For example, making a new marble texture that has some cracks in it for a certain room, etc. Is that legit?

foul_owl said:

Also, I did get a Windows machine set up, but I can't figure out how to extract textures to bitmaps with SLADE3.

Select all graphics you want to export (you might want to select "Graphics" in "Show:" drop-down list below lump list), open context menu and select "Export as PNG" (other formats are not supported at this time).

foul_owl said:

Also, I know that other people's maps use the textures from Doom2, but what if I extracted the textures to bitmaps, made a few modifications to the textures, and use those in my maps, but make it a PWAD that requires Doom2 to run, and also use some of the original textures from the Doom2 WAD? ... For example, making a new marble texture that has some cracks in it for a certain room, etc. Is that legit?

I think yes.