Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hex11

EXITSWIW and GRAYALT textures

I was playing around with SLIGE and noticed something strange about some textures. The map was generated the usual way:
$ slige -doom2 -levels 7; bsp slige.out

And here's the random seed:
$ strings slige.out |head -2
PWAD2
SLIGE (490) 1162831338

MAP01 was fine except for a strange looking exit switch (EXITSWIW texture doesn't look at all like a switch...)

MAP02 had all kinds of tutti-fruti all over the place, like this:

Those are GRAYALT midtextures on 1s sidedefs, but since the GRAYALT in Freedoom has two transparent patches in upper-left and lower-right corners, you get the tutti fruti (in the original Doom II IWAD, all four pieces are solid patches).

Also, it's a wood crate texture instead of some concrete material like the other GRAY* textures...

It's the doom2.wad from v0.7:
MD5 (freedoom-iwad-0.7/doom2.wad) = 21ea277fa5612267eb7985493b33150e

But you're right, those aren't even in the IWAD. They only show up when I also load the slige.out PWAD into Yadex, or run the resulting output from bsp with chocolate-doom (or prboom). Chocolate Doom also shows some warnings on startup:

R_Init: Init DOOM refresh daemon - [...........R_GenerateLookup: column without
a patch (GRIDRED)
R_GenerateLookup: column without a patch (GRIDBLUE@)
R_GenerateLookup: column without a patch (GRIDYLW)
R_GenerateLookup: column without a patch (GRIDPURP@)
R_GenerateLookup: column without a patch (GRIDWHT2@)
R_GenerateLookup: column without a patch (EXITSWIT@)
R_GenerateLookup: column without a patch (WOODLITE)

So I maybe slige is doing something wrong...

Okay, after RTFM, it looks like slige inserts some new (custom) textures into the generated PWAD, unless you use the -nocustom option. But the weird thing is, those new textures don't cause any problems when using the real Doom II IWAD (no warnings at startup, no tutti fruti, etc.) In fact, here's what the same MAP02 looks like in this case:

This is with the same exact PWAD that I loaded before with the Freedoom IWAD. But in this case, none of the four patches in that GREYALT texture are transparent, and the EXITSWIW also looks sane.

Oohhh, I remember... This thing:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/freedoom/55932-weird-patch-texture-bug/

Slige is suffering from lumpy PNAMES syndrome. Whatever that means, I'm not a WAD doctor. ;)

But prepending cct.wad to the -file argument does the trick. Btw, this is a great slige mapset, one of the better ones I've played so far. Anybody can generate it themselves with slige if they use the same seed number I posted, but here's the file anyway:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0inuy5
It's only 7 levels, with a boss arena on MAP07.

The textures in FreeDoom are not guaranteed to be composed in the same way as the IWAD(s), and this can cause issues with any pwad which adds custom textures and assumes the patches are certain sizes.

Both slige.out and the final tmp.wad (from bsp) have only a TEXTURE2 lump and that's it. No TEXTURE1 and no PNAMES.

Catoptromancy said:

It is actually a pwad with a texture1 and no pnames lmp. Slige creates a texture1 without a pnames lmp?

It's perfectly possible. That means the IWAD's PNAMES is used.

andrewj said:

The textures in FreeDoom are not guaranteed to be composed in the same way as the IWAD(s), and this can cause issues with any pwad which adds custom textures and assumes the patches are certain sizes.

But this is a bug in freedoom, surely. The initial aim was for the TEXTURES lump to be nigh-identical, or at least a superset of the union of DOOM/DOOM2, and for patches to have the same properties (x/y size; whether transparent or not)

Jon said:

But this is a bug in freedoom, surely. The initial aim was for the TEXTURES lump to be nigh-identical, or at least a superset of the union of DOOM/DOOM2, and for patches to have the same properties (x/y size; whether transparent or not)

If strong compability is a goal, then yeah it's a bug.

However I remember some talk about trying to avoid any potential copyright issue with the arrangement of the patches in textures (a bit absurb imho).