Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wraith777

Final update of Wonderful Doom and a New Project

Now, since I`ve returned I`d like to post a final version of Wonderful DooM - v.1.3:
http://www.mediafire.com/?va7m70yayll5ayv

And as a bonus for those who`s interested in recreation of historical chronology there are ALPHA and BETA versions (very old) of WD1.wad:
http://www.mediafire.com/?yssd6m2wtbg3hl3

Alpha version (WD04.wad) contains levels e1m1-e2m3. Many of them are greatly distinguishable from those of v.1.0

Beta version has 3 episodes. Levels look much more like in v.1.0. but still have differences in many details.

Also, I want to make an announcement:
I`m about to start working on a ''wad of my life''. Main criteria and details about this 'project':
* game - DooM 1 (Ultimate)
* engine - vanilla
* architecture - complex basic (classic)
* difficulty - challenging (no hash). Not so many monsters but also not so many ammo/items..
* setting - various (human base; ancient/alien city; hell/wasteland)
* awaited impresions - 'little scary', 'strange', 'mamorable'
* nonlinear levels
* some new textures/flats/music/monsters
* new story(parallel to events in D1),
* new titlepic/intermissions/endmissions, texts.

so I ask a community: IS someone still interested in CLASSIC wad
- without tones of secondary architectural details but with advanced basic geometry,
- without over9000 monters/ammo but with their ratio forcing you to shoot sharper and search for secrets,
- with levels clearly distinguishable one from another,
- with D1 atmosphere (surreal setting/decorations/architecture - just like in DooM)?

This time (in difference from WD) it will be something new (but still, classic in it`s nature), I promise:).

A new thread about 'project' will be started as soon as I`ll get something to show..

If your next project is half as good as WD then colour me excited! I can never have enough of the old style.

IMHO it's not good to update 3 years old wad, especially when the changes are very minor. Please think about speedrunners! The confusion with different versions is always so annoying!

А "вад всей жизни" звучит очень многообещающе! Давай, жги! =)

Memfis said:

IMHO it's not good to update 3 years old wad, especially when the changes are very minor. Please think about speedrunners! The confusion with different versions is always so annoying!

Yea, I know, but I`ve discovered and fixed a fatal mistake at e4m2 and automaticly edited some other levels too.. Doesn`t demo of certain level of wad work if only other levels in it where updated?

Buy the way, a new 'project' will be aimed at speed runners to! When there are 3 ways to complete the level it`s up to THEM to discover which way is fastest :).

Downloading . . .

Wraith said:

so I ask a community: IS someone still interested in CLASSIC wad
- without tones of secondary architectural details but with advanced basic geometry,
- without over9000 monters/ammo but with their ratio forcing you to shoot sharper and search for secrets,
- with levels clearly distinguishable one from another,
- with D1 atmosphere (surreal setting/decorations/architecture - just like in DooM)?

Yes, yes, yes and yes. I'll be following the project with interest.

Is someone still interested? I'd lay good odds that huge numbers of doomers are interested in such a wad, especially when they know it's coming from the guy who gave us Wonderful Doom! I personally can't wait!

Halfway through Episode 1, and it's very well done so far. Everything is familiar, yet just different enough to throw me for a loop, especially the extra-mazey E1M4. If the quality continues through the rest of the WAD, then I'll be looking forward to your next project!

I didnt realize there was an update to this wad until now. However, it's great to still see support for it years after its release! Wonderful Doom is one of my most favorite wads and a great way to play UDoom again after having grown tired of playing the original lvls over and over again.

Looking forward to your next project, I am sure it will be even more impressive than this one! I LOVE retro style wads, especially those done in ep.1 style which remains the most popular one. You don't have to ask if we want it, just bring it! :)

Wonderful Doom was cool. You (Wraith) should consider contributing to the next installment of Doom the Way id Did. :P

As for the question regarding classic maps: Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Keep doing it. We need more of this stuff. ;)

[EDIT] Huh. Just noticed that I gave the exact same reaction as GreyGhost without meaning to. Could he be me from the future? o_O

I'd like to echo the sentiment for classic maps. But I'd also like to criticize this latest version of wonderful doom for being too easy (at least episode 1 so far is a snooze fest). I like some of the changes-e1m1 and e1m2 are nice. E1M3 has lower texture glitches on the slime pit where you get the RL. I never liked the soul sphere on the slime in e1m3 or the hurting water (is this episode 3 or 1?). Giving up on episode 1 for now do to lack of challenge and there still being glitches. Will try episode 4 now... maybe there will be some challenge there.

Xaser said:

Huh. Just noticed that I gave the exact same reaction as GreyGhost without meaning to. Could he be me from the future? o_O

Great minds think alike but not necessarily in synchronism. ;-)