Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Cosmic Panda

Yeah, it's a little bit confusing. :/

Honestly, YouTube has so many little stupid irks that the massive layout redesigns don't really bother me that much.

EDIT: After some experimenting with it, I have to say that it's not too bad. I quite like the way videos and playlists are now organized on the channel page. You don't really have to click or search around any more than you did before. If anything, it's been made easier for the viewers.

I...

(presses "try it out" assuming that he will be given another reason to hate Google)

...actually like it? :P

i don't like it, but i don't hate it as much as the current retarded design.

"Cosmic Panda" is still there? The way my laptop's loading the site, the damned thing's already in default effect. Isn't too bad considering 99% of all my watching is done through youtube downloader + Media Player Classic, but still... everything being enlarged makes trying to work with the "uploads" page a pain in the arse. Seriously, I have to use three instances of "zoom out" in Firefox to make the UI look the size it used to.

And still, with ongoing issues with publishing videos to the sub box, uploads not always keeping the correct metadata upon completion even with making sure to mark the data as saved, and player bugginess, redesigning the UI from its perfectly fine former form to a flashy "form over function" wank-pile really ought not be their priority.

Xeros612 said:

And still, with ongoing issues with publishing videos to the sub box, uploads not always keeping the correct metadata upon completion even with making sure to mark the data as saved, and player bugginess, redesigning the UI from its perfectly fine former form to a flashy "form over function" wank-pile really ought not be their priority.

This. I don't normally care about ads, but when I have to rewatch a single one 3 times because the player refused to work properly, it gets a tad annoying. Not as annoying as wondering what happened to your favorite LPers only to find they have been uploading the past week, Youtube just forgot to mention it.

EDIT: That being said, I don't really care for this layout. I liked how there was a video player on the channel page. Doesn't seem to be that way now, or the option to make it so isn't immediately obvious. It seems like it'd be harder to get lost in the lists, but that's to be expected when the icons are twice as large as they used to be. The only new thing I don't really have any complaints about is the video size buttons. Nice that it's just one click to change the video size without increasing the resolution or the whole page size.

What's this about ads on Youtube? I've seen some of those "pop up" ads on "youtube partners" or something that you have to hide by pressing X but never crap like on some streaming sites, where you have to wait for 30 seconds for an ad and can't control the volume. Is it an US IP thing?

Anyway: the new UI is looking OK, being able to change video size on the page is nice but there are still unfixed things and some new ones which ought to be changed. Like so.

I seriously doubt they'll let users to switch back to the old UI forever, eventually they won't develop for two UIs and will stick to one.

Cyanosis said:

Before long, you will have YT inside your head with these handy microchips...

I want my flying car first, goddammit!

Edit: On topic I'm not sure if this or Quaddicted is the worst redesign I've seen today. I wasn't entirely appalled by the last YouTube redesign but this one is certainly pushing it. What little good this is is completely trumped by how unintuitive the whole thing has become. Channels are terrible now.

This seems exactly like the standard interface, except
- harder to read, due to white text on grey background (thankfully it's not solid black!).
- harder to navigate, due to bigger videos and bigger space between videos.

Much like the latest Gmail redesign, it seems something made for smartphones, and a clear downgrade in usability for PCs.

It's nice. Very clean interface, easy to navigate, and marked visual improvement over previous designs. What's the problem here?

Phml said:

Much like the latest Gmail redesign, it seems something made for smartphones, and a clear downgrade in usability for PCs.

PCs are the has-beens of development. Nobody codes anything for PC anymmore. Games? PSXbox. Web? AndroiPhone. Office software? Replaced by web apps, see previous entry.

It's a wonder there is still a market for keyboards and mice...

Gez said:

PCs are the has-beens of development. Nobody codes anything for PC anymmore. Games? PSXbox. Web? AndroiPhone. Office software? Replaced by web apps, see previous entry.

It's a wonder there is still a market for keyboards and mice...

Do you even own a smartphone? Because honestly neither the new design of YouTube nor Gmail would look or function very well on one. There's just too much shit going on, and there's not enough screen real estate to properly accommodate that much information. Perhaps they are attempting to better accommodate tablets, which is understandable as they are becoming much more popular on the market these days. Hell, I own one, and it works GREAT for day to day web browsing. Smartphones, however, pretty much still require separate "mobile" versions of webpages that better organize information on smaller screens.

I do not, however, believe that making webpages more accessible to the tablet market means that they are putting up a big "FUCK YOU" sign for all of the PC users. If done right you can make a page cleaner and less cluttered without losing functionality. All you really need to do is find a good design that works well on both tablets on PC. If you ask me, that applies to both Gmail and YouTube's new designs. Obviously there are still some adjustments to be made, but I'd venture to guess that's why they aren't quite ready for prime time yet.

I think the worst thing you'll probably notice as tablets and smartphones become more popular is that web pages will stop using input device-specific functions that wouldn't work universally with both mouse and touch controls. I think a good example of this are hover menus, an input function that pretty much requires that you have a mouse in order to navigate a page. Honestly, if all websites simply stopped using those, I wouldn't see it as any great loss.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Edit: On topic I'm not sure if this or Quaddicted is the worst redesign I've seen today.

Fixed width again and slightly narrower than YouTube's Panda. Either web designers are forgetting how to make pages scalable or they're focusing on a specific screen width.

AgentSpork said:

What's the problem here?

The older layout worked just fine, too. It's an unnecessary facelift that fixes problems that don't exist.

Snakes said:

Oh my God... It even has a watermark!

Look at that subtle off-white coloring, the tasteful thickness of it...

"Something wrong?...Patrick?...You're sweating."

This new design is actually pretty cool. I like how I can have more choices for how I watch my videos now. I like what they did with the channel design as well.

GreyGhost said:

Fixed width again and slightly narrower than YouTube's Panda. Either web designers are forgetting how to make pages scalable or they're focusing on a specific screen width.

To be fair, 1080p is pretty much the standard these days, and most PC users have their monitors set to it, if they have widescreens.

Youtube is locked in a race with Nico Nico Douga to make the worst possible UI for a video site. Unfortunately, those crafty Japanese are already years ahead.

Note: Translating it would not help.

GreyGhost said:

I have to admit at least it's wider than it used to be, even when you consider the old side navigation bar is gone. The front page showing recent files is a good idea, but they're given way more space than they need to be compared to the recent news, and the actual news section...is a sub section of the forum? And said forum looks terrible.

I mostly went to the site for the news and the archives (and even then only for tools; I have the Injector for maps), so making the news such a tiny part of the new design, with no place where it's presented reasonably, really irks me.

The new channels suck less once you go in and set them up properly. I still really dislike the tabbed approach they're taking and wish I could set my channel up the (newer) old way, because I preferred that.

I still really hate the new layout for actually playing a video, though.

Is it weird that I'm not seeing anything different? I rarely use the site and don't have an account.