Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JavaGuy

Head Trip

What’s the smallest particle beneath the atoms and electrons and quarks?

What is that will to live? Why do our bodies evolve into different things just to survive, and why have we passed basic instinct? For that matter, I really think some animals have passed basic instinct.

Katie says there is no god. So how do we explain existence itself? Maybe there is no god but existence itself, which is the highest power in its own right.

The goal of all the living is that every soul is perfectly happy, and that nature must be in perfect balance. We must work together to achieve this. So I say, good luck.

Maybe nothing exists but us, and we don’t exist to anything else.

It’s true that anything you want can happen, but it’s hard to believe anything 100%. Even then, everyone has to believe it can happen too. Or do they?

Would it be easier to will something to happen as long as you don’t know it can’t be done?

I can understand why people enjoy things. People eat sugary foods and fat because it used to be they needed it to survive the world. We like to be nice to each other because it gets us along in the world.
But what’s music for? Why does it inspire us, and why do we enjoy it? It’s just one more mystery in the world?

The big bang theory? Total Bullshit.

What’s that will to think about questions like this when my mind knows I’d live a whole lot easier in life NOT thinking about them?

Geez, it's like you guys are under the impression that everything one says or does has to make sense :p

That reminds me, you can add "Maybe doing something just for the simple sake of doing it is the right way to go about things." to that list.

Originally posted by JavaGuy

Vertex

What is that will to live? Why do our bodies evolve into different things just to survive, and why have we passed basic instinct? For that matter, I really think some animals have passed basic instinct.

Uhh, do you have any idea of Darwin's theory of evolution? The main postulate of the said theory is that "why" is a very stupid question.

Katie says there is no god. So how do we explain existence itself? Maybe there is no god but existence itself, which is the highest power in its own right.

You don't really need to explain existance. Why there has to be an answer to every question? Anyway, read Brief History of Time.

The goal of all the living is that every soul is perfectly happy, and that nature must be in perfect balance. We must work together to achieve this. So I say, good luck.

That's a pretty shallow goal. First part of it can be achieved by basic lobotomy. Second part you'll ignore after you're lobotomized (although i have no idea what you're talking about)

Maybe. Duh.

It’s true that anything you want can happen, but it’s hard to believe anything 100%. Even then, everyone has to believe it can happen too. Or do they?

No, they don't. If we are to believe modern physics, there're quite a few things that can't happen. And there's just too much stuff we don't know about. And there're the applications of the Russel's Paradox, of course.

Would it be easier to will something to happen as long as you don’t know it can’t be done?

I find it quite easy to "will something to happen" under any circumstances. Not that it's of any help :)

I can understand why people enjoy things. People eat sugary foods and fat because it used to be they needed it to survive the world. We like to be nice to each other because it gets us along in the world.

But what’s music for? Why does it inspire us, and why do we enjoy it? It’s just one more mystery in the world?

This is probably the only good question in your rant. I don't know. From pure scientific point of view, it is possible that music interacts with the brain on low level somehow - kinda the way drugs do, but gentler.

Go. Read. Brief. History. Of. Time. Now.

What’s that will to think about questions like this when my mind knows I’d live a whole lot easier in life NOT thinking about them?

Pure stupidity. Don't worry about it.

Thanks for your oppinions! Would anyone else like to step up to the plate?

ME ME ME ME!

I think a better question would be "Does it matters?". From our point of view, the interactions between these theorical subparticles don't really affect us. We'll take advantage of every new subparticle we can find. If there are more beyond that, I don't give a shit.

In order for a lifeform to work it should AT LEAST desire to live. Evolution, Sexual activities, and the Pleasure/Pain interactions with the world are just tools to fuel this basic principle.
Still, it's a great question. Why us? Simple : Because we're the only ones that can ask that question in this world. ;)
I believe some animals have surpassed basic instinct too, but they're probably a big leap behind creativity, the reactor who makes us ask this very same question.

What's out of this Universe might be able to change us but we surely can't change it. I always saw divinities as some n-dimensional creature using his/her/it imagination. I believe we're Gods of infinite, simpler universes too.

Ah, good question. It's easy to answer what the body wants : pleasure, peace, fun, power. But the soul? What is it really? Our mind is so dependant of our body and it's interaction with the Universe that makes me wonder if there really is a soul inside us. Sounds kinda sad, but we're just systems responding to a data input.
Everything the Human does is for self-pleasure. You might ask "then why all these great characters of our History did this stuff?". Why does Mr X. helped that poor lady who had nothing to eat? Simple : to sleep at night. To be consterful with himself. It would be nice if all of us had this very same necessity.

Existence is relative. What doesn't affect us could very well not exist. Existence is defined by each one of us.

I do believe you can make anything you want. Problem is, you need to fully believe you can. Sounds kinda Matrix-ish but fuels my desire to believe magic is real. That there is stuff out there as beatiful as that.

Huh?

I don't know, maybe our brain evolved in some way to take advantage of music. It triggers something. Anyway I love it and accept it as we used to do as kids.

Lament's right, read A Brief History of Time.

Lemme quote Flathead's sig...no wait he changed it. Lemme find it.

Maybe this world is another planet's Hell.
-Aldous Huxley

Always ask questions. It's what makes us human. Even if the questions can't be answered, they're there to be asked.

I have a friend who is clever as shit, no bull, he's doing NatSci at Cambridge.

Anyhow, he programmed an AI with the same goals that we humans have: seek out all knowlege, learn everything to be learned.

It terminated itself after 3 days, when it realised it couldn't solve it's problem with any apllicable solution, due to the task being impossible given the restarints of its design and component lifetime.

Depressing? No. It makes me appreciate taht we humans are still pretty awesome things. We go on trying, undeterred. I find it amazing that we are not depressed most of the time (adolescent Doomworlders called dan etc. not included :)

Always ask questions. It's what makes us human

Yep...I can just see you in the car with mom and dad "Are we nearly there yet? Are we nearly there yet?" :)

That's the dark side of human nature. This intellect gives us the capacity to do wonderful things, but it can also make a man very, very depressed.

Originally posted by pritch
Depressing? No. It makes me appreciate taht we humans are still pretty awesome things. We go on trying, undeterred. I find it amazing that we are not depressed most of the time (adolescent Doomworlders called dan etc. not included :)

I was going to say something about humanity's tendency to use its knowledge to destroy things with, but I figured I wouldn't say it because it'd ruin your mood....ah ooops, I just did.. O_O

That characteristic might also be looked at a blind idiocy.

I find it amazing that we are not depressed most of the time (adolescent Doomworlders called dan etc. not included :)

Depression isn't alweys caused by events in ones life. It can be caused simply due to a chemical imbalance the person was born with.

Originally posted by orion

Depression isn't alweys caused by events in ones life. It can be caused simply due to a chemical imbalance the person was born with.

A very positivistic way of putting it. Another cause could be a general unwillingness to deal with life's shit.

(all the posts disagreeing with JavaGuy)

[sarcasm]Yeah...true genius there guys.[/sarcasm]

(JavaGuy's title post)

Thank the Maker, in whatever shape or form it may be, that I'm not the only one in the world to think they way I do.

Deep down, I think it comes to this: We have a need to know how everything works so when the time comes we aren't left with no idea about what's in front of us. I spend a lot of my day speculating everything about the universe I can since I've got a lot of time on my hands. When you make realizations simply such as the reality of the space you're moving in compared to your own reality, you start thinking about all sorts of things, and find that nothing is simple at all. That's just my oppinion, but if you don't like it, you can piss off.

Well, not really. I just enjoy saying "piss off".

I have a friend who is clever as shit, no bull, he's doing NatSci at Cambridge.

Anyhow, he programmed an AI with the same goals that we humans have: seek out all knowlege, learn everything to be learned.

It terminated itself after 3 days, when it realised it couldn't solve it's problem with any apllicable solution, due to the task being impossible given the restarints of its design and component lifetime.

I don't believe it. Unless the self-termination was hard-coded in from the start.

Machines can't "realize" anything. They can follow a built-in instruction based on a series of logical conditions, but they cannot make and weigh moral choices. A program would have to be designed to terminate anyway; if it doesn't, it gets caught in a infinite loop and (hopefully) bluescreens before it eats all of the system's resources.

Computers are dumb. They can't even handle decimals or large numbers in the way humans can. They're incapable of actual thought; they are limited to a series of yes/no answers based on existing data, and if relevant data isn't available, they can do nothing. You say computers are smarter now? Anything can appear smart if it follows a billion dumb instructions every second.

Deep down, I think it comes to this: We have a need to know how everything works so when the time comes we aren't left with no idea about what's in front of us.

what do you think religion is for? People feel uneasy about themselves if they don't know answere's to their existance, that's why they made up God.

I believe in god because of personal experience, but I don't think he's here to help me every step of the way. After all, I am human, and I can do a few things myself.

I believe in god because of personal experience, but I don't think he's here to help me every step of the way. After all, I am human, and I can do a few things myself.

Same here, all of it.

Same here, all of it.

I could have sworn I caught you saying you're athiest one time.

Originally posted by orion
what do you think religion is for? People feel uneasy about themselves if they don't know answere's to their existance, that's why they made up God.

Yeah...too bad people don't know how to deal with anxiety and then make up some bullshit excuse....yeah, sign of true character alright</sarcasm>

My Theory:

Everyone is depressed, its just that some are lucky enough not to be affected by it very often.