Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
whitedamp

Anyone need music?

Hi! I hope I´m posting in the right sub-forum.

I'm interested on doing original music for any nice project.

I have no knowledge on how to program WADs but I would love to write some tunes for a fun single player PWAD like Scythe. I aim for that kickass Doom 1 style, with thrash/industrial metal riffs on a blues structure. It´s written in MIDI, right?

I´ve done some songs for Unreal Tournament in the past, but got a bit frustrated as the maps were barely played by the community.

So can anyone help me (or can I help anyone)?

Most of the time people prefer MIDI, but there are some instances where OGG will be accepted. Welcome aboard, fellow musician. :)

If you think you can make 25 Bobby Prince-style tracks, perhaps DTWID could use ya. There isn't really enough time for you to make any tracks before the release date, but perhaps you could write some and we could add them to the WAD when the fourth episode is added.

Care to share any of your stuff?

PRIMEVAL said:

Most of the time people prefer MIDI, but there are some instances where OGG will be accepted. Welcome aboard, fellow musician. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome :)
I have a studio so I can record both versions, MIDI and OGG with real instruments.

Marnetmar said:

If you think you can make 25 Bobby Prince-style tracks, perhaps DTWID could use ya. There isn't really enough time for you to make any tracks before the release date, but perhaps you could write some and we could add them to the WAD when the fourth episode is added.

Care to share any of your stuff?

Sure! I will write something and post here as soon as I finish it. I believe this kind of music works better on smaller maps, otherwise it can get repetitive.

TNT 2 could use some extra MIDI tracks if you have the time. Send me a PM if you're interested.

The Newbie Megawad Project I'm running will eventually need music for its completion, but at the moment the project is in its infancy. If you want to take a look, the thread is in this very forum section.

http://min.us/mA84zia0q#1e

OK, wrote and recorded something really quick here. The idea is something raw and agressive. It´s just a preview so nevermind the sloppy playing, barely any edits and no arrangements. Did not wrote on a blues structure but it does loop.

Just don't do what I sometimes do and overstock yourself with music requests and then end up getting school / job eating up your time ;)

I will carefully look into all these projects and report back. Thanks!

I´m playing the DTWID beta right now and it´s great. I loved the concept as E1 is my favourite Doom episode ever. Fast levels that you can blast through in no time.

Sodaholic said:

Do you work in module tracker formats, and like to do orchestral/epic type sounds?

No, sorry. I´m more into writting the raw metal tracks. At least for now.

PRIMEVAL said:

Just don't do what I sometimes do and overstock yourself with music requests and then end up getting school / job eating up your time ;)

Yeah, I didn´t knew that so many projects needed music. I will try to make only one at a time. The problem isn´t even the ammount of work, but having to choose for which project each song should go.

I have a noob question: Do all the PWADs have to replace the original levels? I mean, is it impossible to make, for example, a WAD with only one episode with 10 original levels and new ending screens and interlude text?

If you think you can imitate Kevin Schilder's style for Heretic music tracks, you'd be welcome here. :)

whitedamp said:

I have a noob question: Do all the PWADs have to replace the original levels? I mean, is it impossible to make, for example, a WAD with only one episode with 10 original levels and new ending screens and interlude text?

It's possible, but only with advanced ports.

Gez said:
It's possible, but only with advanced ports. [/B]

Thanks, couldn´t find this info anywhere, as most WADs seem to replace the original levels. I would rather work on smaller WADs, like 8 levels or something, as I don´t want to write 32 songs. Hell, I don´t even know how you guys have the guts to make 32 levels! LOL

I could also go extreme on the cookie-cutter blues structure, modulating just one riff per song. It could work. Let´s see...

Often, mappers collaborate to make a 32 map megawad as a community effort. There's no reason why musicians can't do the same.

Hands off you bunch of scroungers... I hereby officially claim Whitedamp for Kildeth's newbie mapping project. Stay back everyone! That means you! GRRR!

I´ve finally checked all the WADs you guys are making.

DTWID: I liked everything about this project. Played the first chapter and it was a blast, although I feel that there were more enemies than I would expect from id maps. I would love to contribute following Bobby Prince style. How can I help? I post some MIDIs here and you check if it fits?

Newbie Megawad Project: It makes all the sense for me to join a noob project, but the project indeed is too new. Hit me up when you need!

Blasphemer: The medieval thematic wouldn´t fit.

Freedoom: Not what I expected. At first I thought it would be a chest of art/sound/music, to free mappers from the official WADs, but the more I´ve read about it, the more I got the impression that a huge chunk of effort was being destinated to making tons of cool maps instead of better graphics and sounds. If I make songs for other WADs, can I send some of them for the Freedoom dudes?

TNT 2: I´m not a huge fan of Evilution, but if things with other WADs don´t work out I will shoot you a message.

Progressive fiction: I don´t want to step into someone else's shoes, but if there´s really room I would gladly write something for you.

I'm sure PRIMEVAL will correct me if I've got the wrong end of the stick but he's just contributing music when he has time, I don't think he intends to do every map. Besides, magicsofa and Jimmy91 have already made original music so it's never going to be an exclusive affair.

If you haven't already I'd have a play with the beta and see if any of the maps (1-16, 19-23, 25, 27-29 & 31) fit your style. MAP20 and MAP31 both definitely need music but other authors may also be grateful for your talents. If you decide you want to be part of Team Progfic I'll ask for requests.

purist said:

MAP20 and MAP31 both definitely need music but other authors may also be grateful for your talents. If you decide you want to be part of Team Progfic I'll ask for requests.

OK, I played map 31. As it is a very advanced map, with lots of powerful enemies, I´ve tried to capture the "boss mood" writting something more epic, but still heavy. See what you think: http://min.us/lbubGBqNf2Vyz

ps: I only write MIDI thinking it as a partiture. I mean, just guides or to send it to samplers or synths, never as the final product to be listen. So it might sound like crap as I don´t really know which "MIDI instruments" sound best.

Marnetmar said:

What happened to Mr.Freeze's music?

Processingcontrol said:

What happened to Mr.Freeze's music?

It was scrapped since many of the players disliked it. I really feel bad for the guy, honestly. However, I still think that music is a possibility so I decided to ask whitedamp.

Whitedamp:

Sweet! Try your hand at one or two tracks and we'll see if we can use your stuff!

whitedamp said:

Freedoom: Not what I expected. At first I thought it would be a chest of art/sound/music, to free mappers from the official WADs, but the more I´ve read about it, the more I got the impression that a huge chunk of effort was being destinated to making tons of cool maps instead of better graphics and sounds. If I make songs for other WADs, can I send some of them for the Freedoom dudes?

Yeah, they'll be happy to get any contributions. The maps have been getting a lot of attention simply because more people know how to make those.

whitedamp said:

OK, I played map 31. As it is a very advanced map, with lots of powerful enemies, I´ve tried to capture the "boss mood" writting something more epic, but still heavy. See what you think: http://min.us/lbubGBqNf2Vyz

I quite like, though I must say it sounds a little jolly for Doom music. I will PM the link to TrueDude who is the author of MAP31 and check he's cool with it. If he is it's in the megawad.

PRIMEVAL has kindly done music for MAP20. So from the list I think there's only MAP21 needing music now. However, I seem to remember Olympus wanted music for his MAP23 and I'm sure other authors will be keen too. I can round up some requests if you like?

purist said:

I quite like, though I must say it sounds a little jolly for Doom music.

I see what you mean. Piano melodies don´t really fit that well. Actually melodies in general are not very Doom, but as the song gets really dull without it, I decided to keep it but making a few changes. I´ve "mixed" the MIDI following Bobby Prince´s choice of instruments and mixing, so check it it sounds better now: http://minus.com/muvB1dxZx#1

My main problem is that I write the riffs on the guitar, but when I pass it to MIDI it doesn´t sound so good anymore. For example, I recorded this riff idea: http://minus.com/myBkOgAuf#1

But when I´ve passed it to MIDI it became this: http://minus.com/mt5luKUUT#1

I´m not so sure if my Rammstein style of riffage can fit well anymore. I will try something more percussive/tribal later, use some of my brazilian blood ;P

V2 is even better. It's meaner, doomier and has a military vibe that suits the level being as it is an armoury. Nice work, I'll update the wad.