Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

Any way to determine my DooM 2 version?

Just wondering, as some things are old from what I can tell; Sergeant in the red switch room of underhalls has silver bars over his normal switch compared to it getting removed in later versions, backpack in Gauntlet, and the ending area for Inmost Dens ISN'T all intricate and fancy, it's just the two switches.

I spent money for this game (7$) off of Ebay, so I really don't know if it's a pirated version or not. I say this because some textures are HOM, no texture at all (can see skybox through it) and some monsters placed into each other (e.g. Pinkies stuck together in Map 31).

Thanks for the help.

How many bytes is your Doom2.wad? (i.e. the precise number of bytes, which will be more than 14 million - not the number of kB)

From the description, it sounds like 1.666, but the exact number of bytes will enable us to say if it is a modified/patched version.

No, I haven't, I need to read or tutorial or something similiar if I want to use the disk operating system.

Thank you very much for the help Vulture, but it's comepletely unsupported by my system as it's 64 bit only. Again, thanks.

Platinum Shell said:

Thank you very much for the help Vulture, but it's comepletely unsupported by my system as it's 64 bit only. Again, thanks.

What kind of weird system do you have that is "64-bit only"?

tempun said:

On 64-bit Windows, most DOS programs will not execute - Windows just spits out a generic "does not run on this version of Windows" error message when any attempt is made. So either an alternative program (like the above mentioned JIwadPatcher) or a shell environment (like DOSBox, or VirtualBox with a 32-bit Windows or FreeDOS installed) will be needed to patch.

Platinum Shell said:

No, I haven't, I need to read or tutorial or something similiar if I want to use the disk operating system.

I don't know how familiar you are with DOS, so I'll make no assumptions and just detail how from within DOSBox I installed 1.666 from CD and patched it to 1.9 on my Win 7 Home Premium (64bit) powered laptop.

• Install DOSBox
  • Create a home directory that DOSBox can mount as its C-Drive. (mine's called DosGames and is in C:)
  • Open the DOSBox options (DOSBox-0.74\Options\DOSBox 0.74 Options in the Program Menu) so we can make a few changes
Add the following lines to the end of the config file (autoexec section) to automatically mount the DosGames directory and make it the current directory...
mount C c:\DosGames
C:
You might like to increase the value of memsize from it's default of 16 to 32 or higher, as it might speed up patching a bit. Save and close.
  • Insert your Doom2 CD and check the drive letter in Windows Explorer (I'll assume it's D:)
  • Run DOSBox and (assuming you're presented with a C:\> prompt) type mount D D:\ -t cdrom to mount your physical drive D:\ as a virtual D-drive
  • Switch to D-drive (type D: and hit Enter) and run the installer - which is usually named INSTALL.BAT
  • Select drive C: and the default DOOM2 directory for installation - it actually installs to the virtual C-drive in the DosGames directory. Running the game is optional, close DOSBox when finished.
  • At this point you might like to create a zip archive of Doom2, in case of mishaps with one of the following steps
  • In Windows Explorer - copy/paste doom2p16.zip to the C:\DosGames\DOOM2 directory and unzip the patch.zip it contains
  • Run DOSBox, change to the DOOM2 directory (type cd\doom2 and Enter), run PATCH.EXE and wait - it's slow but will get there. Close DOSBox when done
  • In Windows Explorer - delete every file called PATCH, copy/paste d2_19pat.zip to C:\DosGames\DOOM2 and (once again) unzip the patch.zip it contains
  • Run DOSBox, change directory to C:\DOOM2>, run PATCH.EXE and go make some coffee while waiting
  • Once the update's complete, you can close DOSBox and delete any file in the DOOM2 directory that's older than your backup zip file
  • Congratulations - you now have Doom2 v1.9
DOSBox doesn't seem to acknowledge changes made by Windows Explorer to it's virtual C-drive so has to be quit and re-run a couple more times than I'd consider necessary.

If any of this is as clear as mud to you, let me know.

tempun said:

Try installing Doom2 v1.666 on Windows 7 (64bit) and it'll suggest you contact the software vendor for a "64-bit Windows compatible version".

GreyGhost said:

• Congratulations - you now have Doom2 v1.9[/list]

• Assuming he didn't get the pirated v1.666 version. Speaking of which, I always wondered exactly where/how it differed from the non-pirated.

Maes said:

Assuming he didn't get the pirated v1.666 version. Speaking of which, I always wondered exactly where/how it differed from the non-pirated.

Files' timestamps IIRC.

tempun said:

Files' timestamps IIRC.

Well yeah...I mean in practice (different map layouts, extra lumps etc.)

Hmm...maybe it's about time I tried that lump-by-lump comparison utility I always "dreamed" about ;-)

The IWAD patcher had no problem running for me on Windows 7 64-bit here right out of the zip. It doesn't require the original EXE or anything, it just patches doom2.wad straight to 1.9 for source port use.

Maes said:

Well yeah...I mean in practice (different map layouts, extra lumps etc.)

IWAD is identical in "pirated" v1.666 and "non-pirated" v1.666, at least. The executables are different.

I can't thank you enough for all the help, guys.

But I checked my IWAD with LichSoftware and, to my knowledge, it didn't mark anything that was labeled "pirate" or "corrupt" it just marked 1.666.

GreyGhost, that walkthrough is extremely helpful. I greatly appreciate you posting that.

And vertigo, thank you to, I've sent you back a message as well.

Seriously guys, thank you for all the help. I really, really appreciate it. If I ever see a question that really leaves you guys stumped (which might be alot rarer than my questions, as I expect most of you to have around roughly twice as long of a DooM experience) I will try my best to answer them.

Again, thanks for all the help and time!