Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

front page color broken?

Deathmatcher said:

Is it me or has the front page color been broken for days now? It's been all white for days... Couldn't find any other topic on that.

Same here, using Firefox.

Sodaholic said:

Strange... I'm not getting anything like that at all. What browser do you use, and what version?

Firefox 8.0

I just checked IE (which I never use) and it's not broken there.

What might be the problem? Something on the programming side or on my side? I didn't change anything lately, I think...

*edit* to clarify: The background color of the news is white, so I cannot read the news unless I select the text with the mouse. Everything else seems fine.

You could try messing with the display options. The link is underneath the Doom Info/Community/Feedback panel.

Yes, the add is messed up for me as well.
Also, I am now posting from my work PC. Completely different system, FF version is 3.6.24 here - and the color is f***ed up here as well!
IE works for me on my work PC as well, though...
Maybe one of the site coders might want to look into this?

*edit*
It's the add! I just installed addBlock Plus and its gone. When I don't block Doomworld, there is an ugly add appearing in the upper left: Some centrify.com offering me a "windows audit", "flights to stockholm" and "stay at grand hotel". Its right on top of the random Doom picture and the background color of the news is white.

I have no idea if the admins have control over that but it's really nasty if you don't have an add blocker installed...

*edit* Here is what it looks like:

Cannot confirm, even after disabling AdBlock and NoScript. Perhaps it's a regional or cycled ad?

Firefox version 8.0.

It's caused by some of the javascript that the doubleclick ads include on the page. The script uses document.write to add some new elements to the HTML, including a <body> element with an attribute style="background-color: transparent". Even though it's crazy for a script to be adding a second <body> element half-way through the page, browsers do their best to handle it, and the net result is the transparent background gets applied to the page.

The same thing is happening on other Telefragged sites, e.g. http://www.atomicgamer.com/ so I don't think it's likely to be anything Doomworld has done or can solve. Likely somebody at telefragged screwed up one of their php ad templates, and the script was meant to be included in an iframe, but is instead being included in the main page.

Jonathan said:

It's caused by some of the javascript that the doubleclick ads include on the page.

That would explain why I don't see it, doubleclick is blocked in my hosts list - along with a lot of other crap.

It works fine on Internet Explorer 9. Clearly you guys are using the wrong browsers. I can't imagine why anyone would go through the effort of opening IE9 to download an inferior browser and use that instead.

Ads on Doomworld have been an unmitigated, unbroken string of bullshit since the day they first appeared.

Quasar said:

Ads on Doomworld have been an unmitigated, unbroken string of bullshit since the day they first appeared.

And that's why I use adblock. Anyone who doesn't really should be.

I'm using Opera; the front page is looking normal. Some other sites have done this to me in the past but clearing cookies fixed them.

Try adding http://partner.googleadservices.com/gampad/google_service.js to your blocked content list and clear the browser cache.