Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arttu98

How do you enjoy Doom?

I enjoy DooM when I play it with SkullTag with OpenGL, Brutal DooM, Hi-Res textures, DooM metal and PSX SFX.

That makes DooM a badass game!!!

How about you?

I enjoy grabbing a map set that isn't too difficult, a weapon mod that I haven't used in a while, and just taking it nice and slow. It's like sitting by the fire and curling up with a good book...except with more explosions.

arttu98 said:

I enjoy DooM when I play it with SkullTag with OpenGL, Brutal DooM, Hi-Res textures, DooM metal and PSX SFX.

How about you?

Ah, good. I had been wondering how to make "DooM" a badass game.

PrBoom+ pretty much. I'm just playing through old megawads at the moment. Map 23 of AV then maybe Sythe then HR/HR2. I used to use GZDoom with random mods but nowadays I prefer good, vanilla gameplay on difficult wads. I need to start playing more slaughter wads - if anyone wants to throw a recommendation or two my way feel free.

I enjoy DooM oldskool.

And I mean so oldskool, that it wasn't even released.

No, I'm not talking about the Alphas or the Betas. I mean DOOM: The Real Thing. That's how oldskool I mean, muthafuckah.

DOOM: The Real Thing

FOREWORD: This message was posted from gills@qucdn.queensu.ca on
Usenet in the group comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action on Monday,
November 15, 1993. He has a new idea: playing DOOM in REAL LIFE!

----------
Howdy,

Yes, like all you DOOM fans I have been eagerly awaiting the release
date for this landmark game. Although I was very disappointed in the
release date being bumped up from 3rd quarter '93 to Dec 10, I limited my
anger and frustration to strangling my neighbour's cat (didn't like it much
anyways.... ;) ).

But, NOW I'm forced to read all the great stuff about the Beta
release that some people have been lucky enough to get their hands on.
....well, not FORCED to read it, but I can't help absorbing every bit of
information I can possibly locate. :)

I can't handle the fact that some people have tried the game now,
and I haven't, so I thought I might pull out my brass knuckles and 12 gauge
pump shotgun and start up a *REAL* DOOM game. I figured that I, and 3 other
frustrated DOOM awaiters, could meet up at an abandoned warehouse or
something and have a rip snortin' Death Match of our own. We could throw
some shotgun shells and ammo boxes randomly around the place, along with
some first-aid kits (fine for light grazes from perhaps a .22 calibre round
but not much good for a 12 gauge belly wound :) ) - then we go at it !!!

Granted, there won't be any monsters in this place, like there are
in DOOM, but I do have a pretty ugly cousin I could trick into coming; and
with a quick dunk in some gray paint I'm convinced he could bear a passable
resemblance to a gargoyle <G>.

I took this sooooooo literally that I WENT and PLAYED DOOM THE REAL THING on a REAL MOUNTAIN with a REAL AIR RIFLE shooting at REAL BUGS and REAL COKE CANS. Yeah, niggaz.

I enjoy DooM with headphones on my ear with the volume up with a mouse and keyboard while sitting in my blue rocking chair with my pants unzipped and day old dishes scattered around the table and a cup filled with apple cores. Cause I don't stop.

A classic port and headphones.
Speakers, real ones - no mini multimedia shit, are cool when using the super shotgun... always a pleasure to feel the boom in your gut.

I enjoy by dreaming about it. Last night I dreamed that I was in level 07 Prison of TNT. I was going around the place, it was slightly bigger than it used to be, maybe it was some kind of remake.

I accidently went into that prison area without taking the invulnerability from the secret, so I noclipped out, as the door closed when I was just about to go through.

Then there was this another huge building that had 3D bridge and a 3D sloped bridge, which I then climbed and it really steep and slippery and I barely got up there. I thought it was a bit sloppy map design to make it so steep and slippery and that the 3D slope wasn't properly attached to the building.. there was a gap, which I actually used to pull myself completely up there. The top of the other 3D bridge was some brown ashwall texture, but elsewhere it was metal. Under the 3D bridge it was that stone texture. Kind of a screwed up remake.

It looked like it was in OpenGL.

I thought I would have dreams about Doom when I was reading about dreams about Doom on the end of that http://rome.ro/lee_killough/humor/doominsa.shtml

Jimi said:

It looked like it was in OpenGL.

So... your dreams project in OpenGL?

This thread. This thread... about people enjoying doom while they sleep, take a bath, go to the toilet or perfomr autoerotic asphyxiation; wether they use a mod whcih turns the gloves black or gay-pink, adds 2 more frames to Imps death scene or destroy doom experience with Brutal Doom, because it's nothing like Doom anymore. Is your computer white? Maybe it's gray? You like pankaces to your Doom or just coffee? Cereals? Yeah, some of the cereals look exactly like doom blood splats :O That is amazing. Take a picture of that and paste it to photobucket, next to the lady who found "Cheesus". Do you listen to Pantera while you play? Well you should, Romero listened to Pantera so it's the only proper music. Are you tall? I thought so. Only tall people play doom. At least my friend who lives next door is tall and he plays doom. Well he plays quake, but that's almost the same.

Oh. My. God.
I die a little inside everytime someone starts a thread like this.

It's a GAME.
I play it.
Was that the question?

Shouldn't it be on Yahoo! or Answers.com?

Heh, at least this dream was. Probably because I mostly play Doom in OpenGL and with models.. In this dream I don't know if the monsters were models or sprites, because all of them were just shadowy silhouettes in darkness.

I also enjoy playing it with nerfed Revenants and Mancubuses. So one day I changed Revenant missile damage from 10 to 4 and Mancubus missile damage from 8 to 6. And then I play for hours and never even take a hit from them. I started to wonder if I somehow also managed to make them more inaccurate, maybe I was just lucky.

I enjoy Doom with the Zdoom port, software rendering, highres.

Headphones, night, lights closed, I should consider changing the music to the PSX theme or some ambient music (my brother recently suggested music from The Goblin used in Italian thrillers) but usually I just turn the sound off because of the atmosphere.

I enjoy sometimes running some random WADs, with random WAD option in the archive (could get into some ugly 1994 maps sometimes). Or discovering some long forgotten or unknown hidden jewel. I enjoy some old stuff with changed graphics, changed sky, building some kind of imaginary scenery that is not too abstract.

p.s. Recently I enjoyed the PSX doom and PSX conversion of Doom. I keep a Gzdoom folder with it so that I play with this in the future.
p.p.s. Sometimes I enjoy looking around the place, the architecture, the design and dream about things I'd like to design in my maps.

ellmo said:

Oh. My. God.
I die a little inside everytime someone starts a thread like this.

And your attitude, is precisely why I would not like to map with you.

FYI guys this thread is neither about the quality of this thread or whether or not we want to map with ellmo

(or whether or not we want to map with 40oz for that matter)

arttu98 said:

How about you?

ellmo said:

negativity and stuff

Actually it's pretty normal to have dreams about video games and whatnot, if that's what you spend a lot of time doing. It implies you have an imaginative mind.

esselfortium said:

FYI guys this thread is neither about the quality of this thread or whether or not we want to map with ellmo (or whether or not we want to map with 40oz for that matter)

Yet all are better topics for discussion.

mostly gzdoom, because it plays pretty much every wad and has responsive controls and hi res / opengl. however i have other ports installed too. i used zdoom in software and hi res recently for a more nostalgic look for example.

ok, another topic that pops up every month...

40oz said:

And your attitude, is precisely why I would not like to map with you.

That doesn't rule out other kinds of close activities, does it?