Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
T-Rex

Plutonia design credits?

Now that most of us know who designed which level for Final Doom's Evilution, some of us are still in search of discovering which of the Casalis designed the levels of Plutonia. This was brought up in a post lost months ago, but I still feel some of us need to know.

According to Dario Casali, he designed 16 maps for Plutonia, while his brother Milo did 16 too, and one way to tell who designed the maps was to distinguish the style of the design and gameplay. As far as I know, working together, Dario designed Maps 18, 31, and 32 for Evilution, and Map 24 for Memento Mori while Milo designed Map 28 for Evilution, Maps 23, and 30 for Memento Mori. So, from delving deep into this, I found that Dario's style was a linear progression, intricate yet not too detailed architecture, with some complicated situations and tight packages of monsters, whereas Milo's style was non-linear, usually has a large arena, architecture was again not too complex being blockish and/or round akin to Tom Hall's level design, and high abundance of tough monsters coupled with difficult fights and/or full-on slaughters. Somehow, I'm getting the feeling that Milo's architecture and gameplay is what may have influenced Yonatan Donner. So, here is my assumption of who of the two Casalis designed which map.

Map01: Congo (Milo)
Map02: Well of Souls (Dario)
Map03: Aztec (Milo)
Map04: Caged (Dario)
Map05: Ghost Town (Milo)
Map06: Baron's Lair (Dario)
Map07: Caughtyard (Dario)
Map08: Realm (Dario)
Map09: Abattoire (Milo) - a reboot of a standalone map called Butcher.wad
Map10: Onslaught (Dario)
Map11: Hunted (Dario)
Map12: Speed (Milo)
Map13: The Crypt (Dario)
Map14: Genesis (Dario)
Map15: The Twilight (Milo)
Map16: The Omen (Milo)
Map17: Compound (Dario)
Map18: Neurosphere (Milo)
Map19: Nme (Milo)
Map20: The Death Domain (Dario)
Map21: Slayer (Milo)
Map22: Impossible Mission (Dario)
Map23: Tombstone (Milo)
Map24: The Final Frontier (Milo or Dario?)
Map25: The Temple of Darkness (Dario)
Map26: Bunker (Dario)
Map27: Anti-Christ (Milo)
Map28: The Sewers (Milo)
Map29: Odyssey of Noises (Milo)
Map30: The Gateway to Hell (Milo)
Map31: Cyberden (Dario)
Map32: Go 2 It (Milo)

This is the reason for the post, this confusing bit through trying to guess. See, I noticed that Map24 followed a similar level progression Map24 of Memento Mori did, so I'm assuming that it was by Dario, because according to some, he designed a map that was similar to The Living End for Plutonia, but then, I noticed the architecture looked so much like Map27, which I assume is Milo's, so I'm now thinking it could be him instead, I could be wrong. One thing for sure, Dario himself stated that he and Milo did 16 maps each to make the full 32 level megawad, but trying to figure out the design credits gave me a different result. I probably got the credit for one of the maps wrong. It could have been Map32 because it may have been Dario's revision of his earlier standalone slaughtermap The Punisher, but then again it was revealed somewhere that Milo did Map32. I hope someone could help me out with this.

It's also interesting to note that from what I read in Doom Wiki, Dario and Milo made eight maps altogether for Evilution, and from that, four of the eight maps were rejected, resulting them to be revised for Plutonia.

Edited due to misnaming one of the maps and being further confused.

OK, when I first saw this I thought this is something official. You can imagine my disappointment when I read this is your speculation. Your assumptions go very, very far. That linearity bit - should I be convinced? I would be personally very surprised if MAP23 and MAP26 were not created by the same person... OTOH MAP20 by Dario - I was almost sure of that, the similarities between Hatred and The Death Domain are striking.

Still, nice detective work.

It'd be cool if someone was able to get into contact with one of them and ask.

T-Rex said:

It could have been Map32 because it may have been Dario's revision of his earlier standalone slaughtermap The Punisher, but then again it was revealed somewhere that Milo did Map32. I hope someone could help me out with this.

It was in his interview for the 5 years of Doom feature. Milo's Map32 came first, then Dario borrowed the idea and did his own version.

vdgg said:

OK, when I first saw this I thought this is something official. You can imagine my disappointment when I read this is your speculation. Your assumptions go very, very far. That linearity bit - should I be convinced? I would be personally very surprised if MAP23 and MAP26 were not created by the same person... OTOH MAP20 by Dario - I was almost sure of that, the similarities between Hatred and The Death Domain are striking.

Still, nice detective work.

For most part, Dario's levels are somewhat linear, but yeah, Map26 was non-linear. Still, it had the similar architecture in Evilution's Map32 while Map23 of Plutonia had different architecture from Map26, so I'm guessing that Milo did that level.

Ryback said:

It was in his interview for the 5 years of Doom feature. Milo's Map32 came first, then Dario borrowed the idea and did his own version.

Ok, thanks for telling me which version of redesigning Doom 2's Map01 came first. I knew it was Milo's all along.