Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Optimus

Good MegaWADs with small sized levels

Yesterday I was playing Revolution! by Thomas van der Velden. And also his previous WAD which was not as good but still fun. Another example I remeber is of course Scythe which I love playing again and again.

Sometimes it's nicer to play these ones and finish them in an evening than levels where each map needs half an hour to complete. I like smaller levels, small number of monsters, and sometimes with nice or funny architecture like this.

I'd like to know other good MegaWADs with small sized levels. They don't need to be 32 levels, they can be 20 or even 4.

So, are there any other suggestions?

I too am a huge fan of this sort of thing, so here's a few suggestions:

-Doom The Way id Did, which I playtested last night, will be a good one for this when it comes out. I did all 27 levels with 100% kills and secrets, with testing reports and various inspections in about 4 hours
-Mini Level Megawad by Will Vanrie was great and does this sort of thing very well
-Reverie by valkiriforce is a mixture of small maps a huge ones, so this should be a worth a look in for you
-The Rebirth by Vader struck me as a fantastic megawad and I don't remember any levels being particularly big, so this may be up your street
-Congestion 1024 and similar projects are a bit of a logical extreme for this
-If you're feeling oldschool Fava Beans is an E1 replacement from way-back-when that should be alright size-wise

And as a shameless plug if you're a ZDoom user, Scourge, Tiny Pack 1, my DAC 2009 submissions, The Mouth of Death and possibly Coils of the Twisted Tale may also be to your tastes ;) (DISCLAIMER: Quality varies)

BF_THUD!, by Chris Klie. Some maps are a little rough around the edges but most of them are nice, popcorn gaming.

end1.wad

Gez said:

Scimitar. 20 short levels.

Oh wow, forgot about Scimitar... 'tis been a while since I've played that one but I remember it being a cool bit of awesome. :)

Oh, the two Wraith Corp megawads are notorious for having short levels. Certainly moreso than Final Doom. I think Hell to Pay breaks that generalization more than Perdition's Gate, though.

lols, Xaser is putting end1 everywhere once a week or so... but it *doesn't* fit here, these maps are quite long except maybe e1m1 and e2m4; Some are VERY big, see e2m5.

I'd go for Shamus' works, relive or slugfest.

Wow, thanks!

Finished playing speed shit, nice one, a bit tough.
I remember Scimitar and Cleimos 2, they were great. Will play again.
I'll check the rest too.

vdgg said:

lols, Xaser is putting end1 everywhere once a week or so.

Hahaha, glad I'm not the only one who noticed. If he keeps this up I might end up getting off my lazy ass and seeing what the fuss is all about. :)

Going to second The Rebirth. And going to put The Darkening E1 forward as well, a warmly recommended and very lovable 11 levels with no filler.

kmxexii said:

Oh, the two Wraith Corp megawads are notorious for having short levels. Certainly moreso than Final Doom. I think Hell to Pay breaks that generalization more than Perdition's Gate, though.

Perdition's Gate is the one of the two Wraith Corp megawads that had short levels, so did Hell to Pay, but it has more large maps. Since Final Doom has been mentioned, Plutonia had more short maps compared to Evilution, with only a couple of large maps in the later section of the megawad.

Anyway, for more recommendations, I agree with Demonfear, the Scythe series, and Icarus. The Twilight Zone by Paul Corfiatis should be right up your alley too. 32 maps that can be beaten in less than 10 minutes, and a lot of then can be cleared fairly quickly. I'll also recommend The Raven Series by Tim Willits and Theresa Chasar.