Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

Who was the first person here to play doom?

Depends on when you start to consider it Doom. But I would say John Carmack, since he probably was the first to test the engine.

Though they would probably have played the shareware before they paid for E2 and E3. There are probably some members who downloaded the shareware the day it was released (or at least tried to). moonspell snagged it pretty early, for instance.

I don't know the exact date but I played the shareware a few days after it came out.

I bow before superior Doomers. I actually can't remember when I first played it. I attribute this to being young. I remember playing it on SNES, I remember playing it on 32X, I just don't remember which was first or when this was. Probably '94-'95 so I'm way behind. I didn't actually own the game myself until I got into computers a little in the late 90s.

I might have played it on the PC before '95 as I vaguely recall a Wolf3D type game using that Doom shotty, so for years I always thought Wolf3D also had a shotgun.

Grazza said:

Though they would probably have played the shareware before they paid for E2 and E3. There are probably some members who downloaded the shareware the day it was released (or at least tried to). moonspell snagged it pretty early, for instance.

That is an awesome story, wow!

I can remember playing the shareware in late December 1993. Dad had been a fan of ID's work and had gotten the shareware for himself, but one day, the 27th I think it was, I crawled up to his computer <I was only 3. :p > and managed to boot Doom. <I'd already been using them for a year, actually. I've always been with computers.> Dad came in and saw how much fun I was having, so I've always had it since. It was the first FPS I had ever played, and it's still the most important one to me.

Face23785 said:

I bow before superior Doomers. I actually can't remember when I first played it. I attribute this to being young.

I bow before superior Doomers, too. I actually can't remember when I first played it, too. I attribute this to being an old forgetful fart.
:-)

First half of '94 I guess, Anyway I had to close the curtains, because it was too bright outside. So it was not during dark winter...

40oz said:

I don't know the exact date but I played the shareware a few days after it came out.

What was it like in the womb?

I don't remember exactly, but it was certainly on the week or month the first shareware was released.

I was a big fan of Wolfenstein 3D and was very excited about the upcoming game !

PRIMEVAL said:

I might have played it on the PC before '95 as I vaguely recall a Wolf3D type game using that Doom shotty, so for years I always thought Wolf3D also had a shotgun.

Operation Body Count?

My brother played the shareware pretty soon after release, and I was only four years old and watching over his shoulder like I usually did when he played games. I thought the zombies were clowns originally due to their green hair and weird death noises. Creepy.

40oz said:

Yes, me too. I had no way to get it via a download but a magazine featured it on a cover disk very quickly and I played it the day that the magazine hit the shelves. In fact, I played it round at a friend's house because he got the magazine from his local newsagent before I could (possibly even the day before the magazine was supposed to be on the shelf, I'm not sure). He called me up and said "I got it" and I was round there like a shot. I remember the first time I stepped in to E1M1 very clearly. It was definitely December '93 but, like I said, I don't know the exact date.

Use3D said:

What was it like in the womb?

I was three.

I have fond memories of my dad getting disks in the mail from Apogee Software (who of course eventually became 3D Realms) and id Software. I wasn't allowed to play Wolfenstein 3D but for some reason it was okay for me to watch my dad go at it. Within a year I was Dooming and I remember being almost shocked at how much more advanced the engine and graphics were compared to Wolf. I also remember, before actually witnessing Wolfenstein, thinking that it was some kind of platformer where you played a Starfox-esque character. I was eight.

yellowmadness54 said:

Woah, magazines came with shareware disks?

That's how I got my first plays of a number of games including Doom, Duke Nukem, Keen...

yellowmadness54 said:

My old Commodore magazines came with entire programs written in raw hexadecimal for you to input line by line.

40oz said:

I was three.

Didn't dispute that, just with that remarkable memory I figured you'd recall the birth canal and such.

yellowmadness54 said:

Yep - most of my magazine shareware disks are for the Amiga though I still have a few PC coverdisks, unfortunately Doom isn't amongst them.

(850x1125 - 350k)