Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

CNET caught tacking malware/adware to downloads

Haven't downloaded from CNET recently enough to be affected and it looks like I won't be using them again.

They did this with just about everything they host. In a way, anything written for an older OS can't run the installers!

Technician said:

I don't think I've downloaded anything from CNET in the past decade.

Me neither, but this is pretty disgraceful for such an apparently popular site.

Many software download sites have this kind of crap. Most often, they have deceiving big "DOWNLOAD" buttons which redirect to some kind of malware/adware, rather than the intended download (which is instead hidden/buried to the point that it looks like random text).

Mr. Chris said:

You should be able to, since it's yours.

Do not see any options. Remove button or something.

What honestly baffles me to this day is why people on the internet feel that they need to add installers for stuff like random browser toolbars to their installers for programs that aren't even internet related in the least. Of course, there's always the "opt out" checkbox but that's never enabled by default.

Anyways, guess I'll be avoiding CNET's download service now. I never really used it for any serious purposes, but this is enough to ensure that I'll probably never use it again.

They add those things because they make a few cents from them. I can see why they do it.

What I don't understand is why users fall in love with those broken toolbars and then expect me to fix their browsers anyway.

Aliotroph? said:

What I don't understand is why users fall in love with those broken toolbars and then expect me to fix their browsers anyway.

For the same reason some people enjoy kaviar and branding/mutilation, I guess. There's a market for every vice/issue.

Wow, this is bullshit. I thought these people would be the last guys to pull something like this. Guess you can't trust any corporations.

I've used them a few times. But this is insane. What do they get out of doing that? Why would they do that?
Well, I'll get WMM from somewhere else when I need it.

Speaking of software downloads, where can I find a copy of Windows Media Player for Vista that I can install without needing to get my copy of Windows checked for being genuine? (Yeah, yeah, I know. I don't exactly have the money to buy new OSes, don't tell me what I'm doing is wrong.)

Sodaholic said:

Speaking of software downloads, where can I find a copy of Windows Media Player for Vista that I can install without needing to get my copy of Windows checked for being genuine? (Yeah, yeah, I know. I don't exactly have the money to buy new OSes, don't tell me what I'm doing is wrong.)

Why do you want Windows Media Player when there are so many superior third party media players available?

entryway said:

Do not see any options. Remove button or something.

You could e-mail them and ask for it to be removed, I'd be surprised if they "couldn't" do it.

I don't think I've downloaded anything from CNET in the past decade.

ditto

Technician said:

Why do you want Windows Media Player when there are so many superior third party media players available?

Because some VCD burning software I downloaded depends on it (lazy fucks probably didn't want to have an integrated solution), otherwise, I'd stay the hell away from WMP.

While on the subject of burning VCDs, what's the best software to use, since I didn't really want WMP on my computer to make them with anyway?

Sodaholic said:

I'm not going to tell you what you're doing is wrong; I'm going to tell you you're doing it wrong.

And if you do decide what you're doing is wrong you can get cheap OEM copies from real computer vendors pretty easily if you live in or near a proper city.

Even better solution: get a better burning tool. Get an open-source one. I had that seemed to work ok. If I think of the name of the thing I'll post it.

Shit happens. Meanwhile, I'll trust Windows 7 to protect me, and myself to avoid activating wrong triggers.