Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

Rick Perry vs The Internets

Rick Perry's 2012 Presidential campaign probably died this week. Why, you ask? Well, let's find out. See if you can sit through the whole thing.

Transcript for those that can't stand it:
I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a Christian, but you don't need to
 be in the pew every Sunday to know there's something wrong in this 
country when gays can serve openly in the military but our kids can't
 openly celebrate Christmas or pray in school. 
As President, I'll end Obama's war on religion. And I'll fight against
 liberal attacks on our religious heritage. 
Faith made America strong. It can make her strong again. 
I'm Rick Perry and I approve this message.
3,003 likes, 125,899 dislikes.

It got up to 69 comments before the people controlling the channel disabled comments. Boy, what would I do to see those.

The saddest part is that he's proud to say this. I'd love to see who this appeals to, and ask them if they have a full set of teeth.

I already reported the video. I doubt anything will happen.

EDIT: Check out his facebook wall!

I never understood the whole anti-gay thing. It just doesn't add up. People's ethnicity, religion, and race are totally taboo subjects, but what they do in the privacy of their own homes is perfectly okay to denigrate? I don't get it.

What's even more perplexing is why these guys would think that anyone in THIS day and age would vote for them after they express these views. I mean, dude, have you looked at the television lately? Gay is everywhere, and it's very trendy. Everybody has a gay friend or family member now. What dumbass campaign advisor is there who goes, "Hey man, I know how we'll get those independent voters, let's say something nasty about gays!" Jesus.

Vordakk said:

I never understood the whole anti-gay thing. It just doesn't add up. People's ethnicity, religion, and race are totally taboo subjects, but what they do in the privacy of their own homes is perfectly okay to denigrate? I don't get it.

What's even more perplexing is why these guys would think that anyone in THIS day and age would vote for them after they express these views. I mean, dude, have you looked at the television lately? Gay is everywhere, and it's very trendy. Everybody has a gay friend or family member now. What dumbass campaign advisor is there who goes, "Hey man, I know how we'll get those independent voters, let's say something nasty about gays!" Jesus.

He's not even getting those votes. A friend of mine on facebook that is also a minister brought this video to my attention, with the text "Never before have I seen such prideful, un-christianlike behavior."

And he's right. Actually, I think jesus said it best when talking about gays,

Jesus said:

Vordakk said:

I can't comprehend how they have enough time to give a fuck. Seriously, a man is humping another man behind a closed doors. Who gives a damn.

EDIT: After watching the video again, I can't fathom how he thought this was a good idea. This guy scares the shit out of me. At first I thought his prayer rally was just a stunt, but I'm seeing this guy as a real religious nut-job more so than ever.

Vordakk said:

People's ethnicity, religion, and race are totally taboo subjects

What if they are muslim gay niggers of middle-eastern descent? Would they still be approved by the GNAA?

Csonicgo said:

Rick Perry's 2012 Presidential campaign probably died this week.

That video sounds like an appeal to the religious right (the people who got Bush Jnr. over the line in two elections), if Perry can win their support he'd have to be considered the front-runner for nomination.

Obama says:

I am deeply concerned by the violence and discrimination targeting LGBT persons around the world -- whether it is passing laws that criminalize LGBT status, beating citizens simply for joining peaceful LGBT pride celebrations, or killing men, women, and children for their perceived sexual orientation.

Rick Perry responds:

This administration’s war on traditional American values must stop.

A very obvious misrepresentation of his opponent's position to stir up fear and appeal to the religious right.

Regardless, it's rather a foolish move on the part of Perry, considering the polls last year that showed 77% of Americans supported ending of DADT.

Technician said:

EDIT: After watching the video again, I can't fathom how he thought this was a good idea. This guy scares the shit out of me. At first I thought his prayer rally was just a stunt, but I'm seeing this guy as a real religious nut-job more so than ever.

For years and years politicians have specifically targeted seniors citizens with there campaign platforms. Something tells me this was aimed at an older age group. An ad like this would have done wonders back in the 60's and I'm pretty sure there are a lot of seniors that agree with this kind of trash. Unfortunately for Perry and those like him the target audience for this type of shit is shrinking every day and those of us who have grown up in the 80's, 90's and 00's are going to see right through people like Perry. I bet if you polled seniors and younger generations on who agrees with Perry and who does not there would be massive difference between the two groups. This also can be said for Newt and his war mongering buddies wanting to go after Iran.

I never watch the Ed Show on MSNBC. But, something tells me I'm going to become a regular viewer after seeing what they did to Perry.

Actually the Bible does have quite a bit to say about how Christians should regard homosexuals, outside of the raging old-covenant Leviticus declaration that they should be stoned to death, anyway:

• "Love thy neighbor as thyself"
  • "Judge not lest ye be judged"
  • "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
But this isn't about Christianity, it's about politics, and using a scapegoat is the oldest power play in the book. Ancient kings and warlords rode to power on promises to destroy the perceived enemies of their peoples. You think this tactic has expired after working for tens of thousands of years? I myself witnessed record election turnout in Oklahoma when George Bush the Second made vague (and ultimately undelivered) promises to get an anti-gay amendment added to the Constitution. OK Senator Inhofe wins every one of his AT&T, Devon Energy, and OGE-funded terms in congress by implying that his Democratic opponents are pro-homosexual "agenda".

Of course the best Bible verse for any Republican in government is always:

It is easier for a rich man to pass through the eye of a needle than to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

It's also true that children can't openly celebrate Christmas. Just the other day, I saw a kid shot by the police for wearing a Santa hat. It all happened in my fever dreams.

Yeah, seriously. The term "mall santa" is part of our everyday language this time of year, I don't think anyone can complain about not being able to openly celebrate Christmas. This also applies to the midwest, where my high school would put a Christmas tree on display in the lobby around this time of year.

Hard to image how Perry and his brethren would act supposing they actually had to face some sort of crisis in this country pertaining to Christianity. Kind of frightening to imagine, really.

Quasar said:

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

... doesn't exist in the earliest manuscripts of John. Though I doubt you'll get any of those Republicans who believe in the infallibility of the Bible to accept that.

Let's not forget that Perry's "International House of Prayer" is the sister organization to The Call and helped organize that event. The Call promoted a bill in Uganda's (with Lou Engel even flying over there) that calls for the hanging of gays and lesbians. So apparently, hanging gays is a traditional American value.

It shames me so greatly that Rick Perry is from Texas, my homeland. I mean, I'm not the type who gets all caught up in local pride, but it's still fucking embarrassing. The fact that homophobia and religious bias could be thought of as a marketing tool is disgsuting. I'm not a fan of liberals, but I don't think a liberal presidental candiate would say, be stupid enough to creat an ad campaign based on Atheism and throwing money away at other countries before fixing our own problems.

Unfortunately, it's people like this Perry guy who are increasingly making many people in the rest of the world - rightly or wrongly - regard America as a strange, fundamentalist, extremist and dangerous country.

Considering this video seems to be talking to people who are afraid of gays and think that Christmas isn't celebrated in public anymore, it's obviously marketed to shut-ins. Or at least old people, as someone suggested before.

kristus said:

Prick Error

Ahahaha, that pretty much seemed like a cross between the Rick Perry video and the Ron Paul one (let's cut the budgets to everything, that will solve all our problems!)

Enjay said:

Unfortunately, it's people like this Perry guy who are increasingly making many people in the rest of the world - rightly or wrongly - regard America as a strange, fundamentalist, extremist and dangerous country.

Shit, it's making people in this country start to feel like we're living in a land half-populated by strange, fundamentalist, extremist and dangerous people. The fact that this guy was, at any point, considered a serious option for candidacy is equal parts comedic and disturbing, from my point of view. He's lost 3 times now:

1) The "Live Free or Die!/Syrup!" speech he gave.
2) "Oops."
3) This video.

We got one unbearable moron out of the raise with Caine. Why won't this man just disappear, damn it?!

Danarchy said:

Considering this video seems to be talking to people who are afraid of gays and think that Christmas isn't celebrated in public anymore, it's obviously marketed to shut-ins. Or at least old people, as someone suggested before.

You'd be surprised how many people believe shit like this. The American religious right is genuinely that disconnected from reality. They have their own universe based on assuming their regressive beliefs are really God's word, shitty alternate "Christian" music that sound like a 5th grader's love letter to Jesus, and even their own "pop culture" that's about 5 years behind mainstream pop culture.

I've seen this plastered all over the internet and villified... but I kind of don't quite see the problem myself? I must be interpreting it some other way to everybody else.

As I see it, he's saying people should be left to their own thing (shagging other men or worshipping the sky in the expectency that it'll make you a better person) on an equal footing. Admitadly the video does come across quite pro-religion, and his own self-approval is a very odd addition :\

Phobus: He's implicating gays are wrong (he outright says as much in other talks), and pretends that Christians/Christmas is being oppressed (it isn't). The platform the ad is built upon is lies.

Phobus said:

I've seen this plastered all over the internet and villified... but I kind of don't quite see the problem myself? I must be interpreting it some other way to everybody else.

As I see it, he's saying people should be left to their own thing (shagging other men or worshipping the sky in the expectency that it'll make you a better person) on an equal footing. Admitadly the video does come across quite pro-religion, and his own self-approval is a very odd addition :\

Jesus Christ... we found his target audience.