Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

If you were in charge of Doom 2's boss

So a lot of us thought the Icon of Sin was cheap. What would you have implemented in its place, taking into account the limitations of the engine at the time?

It's too late for me to seriously think about this, but I probably would have gone with something similar to Doom 64's boss, but with some sort of demon cube throwing ability.

Some über-demon which was more powerful than the cybie or mastermind. Keep it simple.

inb4 someone says "Well technically that's what the icon of sin was, duh". You know damn well what I mean.

DoomUK said:

Some über-demon which was more powerful than the cybie or mastermind. Keep it simple.

inb4 someone says "Well technically that's what the icon of sin was, duh". You know damn well what I mean.

I would have done the same and make it throw fire balls as powerful as bfg blasts.

skaman86 said:

still the best!
[yt]E86yF9-8k7Y[/yt]

Funny and well done - king of the humorous end bosses.

DoomUK said:

Doomsfall said:

I would have done the same and make it throw fire balls as powerful as bfg blasts.

It's an interesting dilemma; the final boss needs to do something differently, attack differently and/or require the player do something differently, to everything that has come before it, while still fitting in the game world.

Doom1 pulled the fast high damage projectile with splash damage (Cyber Demon) and rapid fire hitscan attack (Spider Demon). Both good for Doom1's world and cast; they were powerful attacks grounded in Doom1's world yet no other bad guy had attacks quite like them.

Because of this and also because Cyber and Spider appear in Doom2 as normal foes and Doom2's new cast are a bit more creative in their attacks, simply making the final boss of Doom2 a 'double health and double damage Cyber Demon or Spider Demon like guy;, as you guys are suggesting, would probably not have been a worthy or entertaining final boss.

Obviously, it can be a part of the whole final boss though...

Fuck all yall

I think the Icon of Sin was an awesome boss for Doom 2. Icon of Sin is a sick name for it too. It's fucking huge, the imagery foreshadowing it's existence was shown all throughout the doom games, It's the first monster in the game where it can only be damaged by shooting at a weak point, and it characterized a much better "source" for the demonic invasion than a giant robot spider with a rapidfire shotgun did.

I think the only thing I would have done differently was the lift you have to ride up and time rocket launches perfectly. I honestly didn't even know there was a way to kill the Icon of sin the first 3 or so years playing Doom. I didn't understand the purpose of the level.

I probably would have dumbed it down a little by making the Icon of Sin have a bunch of limbs, that when shot would expose it's brain temporarily, and all you'd have to do was get at the right height to kill it (preferably not by riding a lift)

I would have changed it so that the Icon of Sin was an actual creature that flew around, and had that one weak point. But you had to activate something so that it would be stunned first. And of course I would keep the fact that it spawned stuff. Maybe could have made it so that it would spawn monsters faster depending on how much damage it had taken too.

DoomHero85 said:

I would have changed it so that the Icon of Sin was an actual creature that flew around, and had that one weak point. But you had to activate something so that it would be stunned first.

GoatLord said:

taking into account the limitations of the engine at the time

40oz said:

I think the Icon of Sin was an awesome boss for Doom 2.

Agreed. It isn't tattooed on my leg for nothing.

Something in line of Plutonia 2, made it with midtextures and a plataform, and require direct combat (firing at his brain with any weapon from any place of the level), plus, allowing the Icon of Sin to have his own projectile attacks AND the summoning cubes.

I'd like to mention that I don't necessarily find the Icon of Sin lame. I find it a bit lame that limitations prevented it from being much more than a giant texture, but it's still fucking cool looking and evil.

Giant flying archvile with revenants and cyberdemons as arms. Though he wouldn't have the usual archvile flame bomb attack, instead he just fires a zillion homing missiles. He also spawns monsters around him or is able to mass resurrect the monsters that were placed in the map. On december 10th he would also have an extra secret attack, which shoots Romero's heads that act like lost souls, and also tell backwards that you have to kill them or the main demon to win the game!

The icon of sin is just a large static texture of a demon face, it doesn't seem threatening at all. I like the idea of spawning monsters but they could have made the boss move around and have other attacks as well as firing off demons, something like D'Sparil in Heretic.

Lucifer is the father of lies, yes?

I would have had the Icon of Sin take of form of Commander Keen, forcing Doomguy to kill his great nephew in order to destroy the Hell portal and save Earth.

A floating boss would represent a change from the previous Doom bosses or a two part boss where you "kill" it grounded then have to kill it again flying. I'm not sure about attacks, maybe a BFG projectile.

...Or a sector based boss that spawns monsters like the Icon of Sin and is killed by a (less cheesy) trigger, but with "guardians" like additional boss monsters to keep the player busy.

40oz said:

I probably would have dumbed it down a little by making the Icon of Sin have a bunch of limbs, that when shot would expose it's brain temporarily, and all you'd have to do was get at the right height to kill it (preferably not by riding a lift)

Typical modern game or typical console boss. See Doom 3.

purist said:

...Or a sector based boss that spawns monsters like the Icon of Sin and is killed by a (less cheesy) trigger, but with "guardians" like additional boss monsters to keep the player busy.

Megawads.

40oz said:

I think the Icon of Sin was an awesome boss for Doom 2. Icon of Sin is a sick name for it too. It's fucking huge, the imagery foreshadowing it's existence was shown all throughout the doom games, It's the first monster in the game where it can only be damaged by shooting at a weak point, and it characterized a much better "source" for the demonic invasion than a giant robot spider with a rapidfire shotgun did....

It's cool to see some praise for the Icon of Sin on these boards. I think the Icon of Sin works as a boss because, while fighting it, the player is up against the constant pressure of spawned monsters attacking him from all sides. A boss fight should be like a test for all that the player's learned so far, and this is the player's chance to prove he can handle Doom 2's bestiary. Also, the fact that you're forced to wait before you can damage the boss is brilliant - the anticipation gets pretty intense. The only thing that's really wrong with it is that the lift doesn't line up with the hole in the Icon's brain so there's this lame "timing puzzle" element.

printz said:

Typical modern game or typical console boss. See Doom 3.

Right, because Doom 3 came out before Doom 2.

Creaphis said:

Right, because Doom 3 came out before Doom 2.

Actually, read what I quoted. He was talking about the kind of boss that reveals its weak spot when its limbs are temporarily maimed. It happens several times in Doom 3, in its expansions and in derived games, and it also happens in arcade action (often console) games. Often such bosses are dumb as fuck, and I generally don't enjoy bosses that when wounded they become even more vulnerable, acting like targets. It makes them look like they're knocked out, and it's not as satisfying to destroy them that way, even if they can still shoot back.

I've always like the Icon of Sin, so I'd just go with that. I also like how it's been tied back into the original game. Doom2's awesome though.

fraggle said:

Plutonia 2's take on it is still the most impressive I've seen so far.

Agreed, i really liked Zen Dynamic's take on it as well.

The boss itself is cool but I would like a more varied/detailed map with the monster being more pronounced. Until recently I never realized it was supposed to be a giant head and not just a wall texture. The concept is great but IMO the execution could have been done a lot better.

I don't think so. When I first played MAP30 I found it very difficult, so having a whole long level before it would've really pissed me off. And anyways, the whole 29 (or 31) levels of build up are enough. :P

Anyways, I think the IOS is a cool boss and I always anticipate what new twist a megawad brings to it.

As Doom 2s boss, IoS is wonderful. Think back to the first time you played Doom 2 and the pants shitting awe you found yourself in when the final boss takes up an entire freakin wall!

As a final boss for 90% of all mods concerning, it is much less amusing.

I would have made him actually be John Romero. And his power is simply making you his bitch. I'm not sure how that would translate to the game mechanics though.