Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sodaholic said:

does getting high count

Only if you smoke only on christmas, not everyday.

My christmas tradition is just to watch christmas episodes of T.V shows.

I've gone carolling once and had lots of fun. These days I prefer to stay in my chair and in the warmth of my home.

I love to sing but I've found that it embarrasses people when I suddenly start singing aloud in public. There's been acouple times where complete strangers would join in, though.

The wife sings like an angel. Literally! Sang at Carnegie Hall. I have to practically twist her arm anymore to get her to fire up those vocal chords. Her voice is so beautiful.

My favorite Christmas song:

Grain of Salt said:

Will you be singing carols at any point in the near future? Do you do anything festive at this time of year? Does it snow where you are? Do you ride on down the hillside in a buggy you have made? Have you seen anything to suggest that roasted chestnuts existed outside the realms of superstition? Could you ramble convincingly along these themes for a paragraph or so? Wouldn't you enjoy that more than arguing for hours without defining a single term?

N N yesno N what N N

A few years ago I started listening to the local easy listening station when they switched over to Christmas music for six weeks. For some odd reason I look forward to it, even though I feel a bit guilty for listening to it before Thanksgiving. Some of the music I find catchy, some I find corny, a few I find revolting (Do They Know It's Christmas, Paul McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime", Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer, The Christmas Shoes, Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You", Last Christmas). I feel for the employees of retailers who are forced to listen to an endless loop of Christmas music during work.

The one thing I hate about the holiday season is when the retailers start their advertising blitz. Why in the everloving hell does Costco put out their Christmas wares at the buttend of fucking August? There were still two hours left for Halloween when I turned on the TV, but the commercials were all about the mistletoe and snowflakes and themed as such. I remember one Lexus commercial where it shows a bratty kid getting a pony for Christmas, then the kid grows up to be this snotty lil bitch who gets a Lexus. You know what, fuck that smug entitled shrew! I find it real hard to keep the holiday spirit for long when I'm being reminded about it every goddamn minute of the day.

Okay, calm down. Be cool, listen to some Christmas music I like.

Ah, that's better.

Die Hard 1. I gotta watch that this holiday season since I had forgotten last year. Yeah, that's what passes for holiday traditions to me, half-baked rant included.

Fuck, how could I forget about December 10th on this website?!

Christmas is a love/hate holliday for me. It's nice to see family and such. I even look forward to all the old christmas cartoon movies. But I also can't stand all the religous overtones of the holliday. I have always had people try to drag me to some church and remind me that its jesus's bday. I don't wear a Mjolnir pendant or have runes branded on my right arm for show and people tend to take issues with these things this time of year. I just wish I could go one december with out some one trying to "save" me or treating me like some heretic.

The world doesn't need to listen to me singing in public. I also don't need to be singing about Jesus. That would be ludicrous. Come to think of if, how ever did we get away with that in school?

Christmas is too big of a thing in my family. Some years I get up to four of them. Makes for fun times, but also makes for craziness. Too many presents, too much food, too many people, etc.

I more or less try to ignore chisrrmsas completely, though my brother got ma a chocolate chalender.

This time of year, I don't exactly do festive things but I do try and spread a little joy. Last year, went with a friend dressed as Santa and an elf (I was the giant elf, my friend was Santa) and we just gave candy canes to old ladies and little children with pissed off fathers in stores around the strip mall.

I also get risky and say Merry Christmas and God Bless You to people.

I'm going to carry out the tradition that's been in my family for years.

Gather around the TV and watch A Christmas Story

N

This isn't really a festive household. The time off work is nice and it's good to see family, but the rest is just effort and annoyance. The singing in particular can go and die quietly somewhere. If we do bother with a christmas tree, it'll go up on christmas eve and stay up for about 5 days, heh.

Craigs said:

I'm going to carry out the tradition that's been in my family for years.

Gather around the TV and watch A Christmas Story

I was half expecting something along the lines of getting drunk and passing out.

I don't carol, but I do walk around singing the fuck out of some Christmas songs. In fact, I whistle christmas music all year round and it drives everyone crazy.

I used to carol with sister and a friend back in 1991-1994. We usually made upwards of $100 total from an entire morning of caroling, which we then split (it's customary to give a small sum to carolers over here). Since there are Xmas eve, New Year's even and Epiphany's eve carols, this was a good pocket money boost ;-)

PRIMEVAL said:

I was half expecting something along the lines of getting drunk and passing out.

Can I do both?

>Will you be singing carols at any point in the near future?
No.

>Do you do anything festive at this time of year?
I have to go to a church service with my work. My family will descend on my house on the 25th and we will do all of the stuff we normally do. I'd rather skip it but that's easier said than done.

>Does it snow where you are?
Often, yes. It did last year. It was snowing last night but it didn't really lie. It's snowing again right now - not much though.

>Do you ride on down the hillside in a buggy you have made?
I have done. I have also collided with a barbed wire fence at the bottom and done myself some serious damage.

>Have you seen anything to suggest that roasted chestnuts existed outside the realms of superstition?
Yes, I like roasted chestnuts. You can even do them in the microwave but taking the nut out of the covering is harder. Around this time of year they tend to close of some of the main shopping streets to traffic and stalls are set up - there is usually at least one chestnut vendor.

>Could you ramble convincingly along these themes for a paragraph or so?
I can ramble about almost anything for a paragraph or so. ;)

>Wouldn't you enjoy that more than arguing for hours without defining a single term?
Not sure. I guess so because I have posted in this thread but not the other one.

Enjay said:

I have to go to a church service with my work. I'd rather skip it but that's easier said than done.

The hell, you guys have state endorsed religion? I thought that England (and by extension Scotland) would've been more progressive than that.

England invented it's own brand of Christianity. Not terribly surprising.

>Will you be singing carols at any point in the near future?
I've always wanted to, but never really had the chance. I'll probably sing a few by myself, though.

>Do you do anything festive at this time of year?
Well I'll be baking a shit ton of cookies this year. It's all I can afford doing for people, and baking a lot of cookies is always the first sign of Xmas for me. Also, I'll probably watch Christmas Vacation, Muppets Christmas Carol, Muppets Family Christmas, and Home Alone, which are my favorite Xmas movies. Also, going out to look at lights on Xmas eve has always been a family tradition, and hopefully I'll be doing it with my mom this year and possibly even my sister (if she doesn't have to work for Xmas). Also, the annual Xmas party at my friend's house, possibly with Secret Santa stuff again this year.

>Does it snow where you are?
It used to only snow maybe 2-3 times a year, mostly in January. Thanks to global warming, though, the there have been blizzards and snowstorms all throughout the winter for the past 4-5 years. Last year, they started mid-November and lasted through mid-March, which is the longest period of snow I have EVER seen. We've only had one light snow so far this year, though, so hopefully no more damn blizzards.

>Do you ride on down the hillside in a buggy you have made?
You mean a sledge? Or a toboggan? I used to have a long-ass store-bought toboggan when I was a kid that could hold about 4 people on it at a time when I was a kid. Once we loaded it up with like 7 kids and went down a hill with a ramp at the end. We got a ton of speed from it, and our short flight was fairly epic. As for home-made stuff, I think we've used boards of wood and cardboard for that sort of thing.

>Have you seen anything to suggest that roasted chestnuts existed outside the realms of superstition?
I'm not even sure what a chestnut is. On the other hand, I had a bunch of walnuts last night, and when I was a kid we'd always have out a big bowl of walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, and Brazil nuts during the holidays. Not to mention satsumas and kiwis.

>Could you ramble convincingly along these themes for a paragraph or so?
Possibly.

>Wouldn't you enjoy that more than arguing for hours without defining a single term?
Yes!

I won't be singing any carols most likely. That isn't really my thing, but I'll be listening to Christmas, and Holiday music in general (my dad has the holiday version of Celtic Women playing in the other room right now).

We usually decorate the house and have a Christmas tree up with all the lights and other odd and ends. We have most of it up now in fact.

Yes, it snows, definitely. There's some flurries coming down now, but it isn't sticking. We've had snow as earlier as Halloween before, but it's probably been at least 10 years since that's happened. Usually the first snow fall starts around Thanksgiving, but it almost never becomes an issue until well into January (except a year ago yesterday we got pounded with a foot of snow).

I used to go sledding, but I haven't gone in a few years. My preference for warmth is greater. If it comes up this season, I may go though.

I have never seen a roasted chestnut in my life (as far as I know).

Eh, possibly. Depends on if I'm in the mood for it.

Yes, most definitely.

Sodaholic said:

The hell, you guys have state endorsed religion? I thought that England (and by extension Scotland) would've been more progressive than that.

I'm not sure whether it is state endorsed as such. Every year our school goes down to one of the local churches for a Christmas service - as do many of the other schools that I have worked in, but not all. It's something that our school has always done and I don't see it changing any time soon. However, I think the fact that we do it is a local arrangement thing rather than a national state thing.

On the flipside, I believe (but have never actually bothered to check) that the only technically compulsory subject in Scottish schools is religious education. However, that does not have to mean "Christian education" (which it did in the school I went to). Indeed, these days it is often styled as RMPS or religious, moral and philosophical studies where a variety of religions, moral standpoints and philosophical arguments can be covered. I'm not saying that it is popular with the kids, but they pretty much all do it.

Aliotroph? said:

I vote we conquer Britain and liberate the people! :p

If "we" are the US, looking around, there is plenty evidence to suggest that we may already be conquered by you guys. ;)

Nope. "We" starts with Canada. Maybe we could get France in on it. They're bit on separating church and state. If Canada has to go it alone it'll need to be a guerrilla campaign that starts with hockey and maple syrup. Beer is out because you guys already have more kinds.

Jimi said:

I more or less try to ignore chisrrmsas completely, though my brother got ma a chocolate chalender.

There for a sec I wasn't sure if you meant calendar or chandelier. :p

I have never done the Carol singing thing.

Aliotroph? said:

Nope. "We" starts with Canada...

Well, at least it will be a nice, polite campaign then. ;)

Bobnoxious, a band I'll be going to see in less than an hour, have a compilation of several Christmas carols and other holiday-related songs. So yes, in a way, I will be carolling along with them in the process of losing my voice and hearing tonight.

I am also a big fan of tobogganing, building snowmen, and spending Christmas Eve sharing a few drinks with my family in front of the fireplace.