Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rakohus

wad author problems

I haev problems with wad author recent. I start it and it tells me to pick a game and i dont have a game. i thought i can make doom with it??

NO NO NO. First of all, you MUST have an IWAD from any game of Doom (shareware/registered, Doom2, Ultimate Doom, or Final Doom), and then and only then will you be able to make Doom levels. So, if you don't have any version of Doom at all, then you can download the shareware IWAD from here at DoomWorld. Go to the Main Page, then click on the Shareware link. You'll find it.

M..MM...MUST...RESIST...NOT...NO..NOT..THE...S..S..SHOTGUN..

/me congratulates you
Now don't you feel better about yourself, for not killing the newbie?

Thank u for telling me doomboy. .i just wanna thank infirity for sending me the doom game. thank you infirity!!!

now im having problems making a levator. i start out in a room and everythin is like mirrors and stuff. can someone helop me me make a do levator!!

Thank u for telling me doomboy. .i just wanna thank infirity for sending me the doom game. thank you infirity!!!

now im having problems making a levator. i start out in a room and everythin is like mirrors and stuff. can someone helop me me make a do levator!!

OK, if I decode the strange language you are speaking, I THINK you're saying that you're having problems making an elevator. Everything looks like mirrors, BTW, because you haven't placed any textures on the walls yet. I'm not sure how to make any elevators, never having created any Doom levels myself. Here's what you do:
Go back to the Main Page, and click on the Editing Tutorials link. You'll find some help there.
Then, afterwards, find a typing class, and learn how to type where people can read what you're writing.:)

Or I could type perfectly neat with no spelling errors and piss you off next post where i type like an idiot again. but thank u for letting me no where i can get tuts !!!

Uh....tuts?
Heh.
Hey, maybe you could try typing perfectly neat and with no spelling errors for the rest of the time you're here and piss us all off continuously. :)

hey you ralphis shut up i know who you are and i will hurt you because you suck

NO NO NO. First of all, you MUST have an IWAD from any game of Doom (shareware/registered, Doom2, Ultimate Doom, or Final Doom), and then and only then will you be able to make Doom levels. So, if you don't have any version of Doom at all, then you can download the shareware IWAD from here at DoomWorld. Go to the Main Page, then click on the Shareware link. You'll find it.

You can't make pwads for the shareware version. You need registered Doom 1 or a copy of Doom 2.

Thanks fraggle`, I was waiting for someone to say that.

You're using WadAuthor and you're getting the hall of mirrors effect? Something is seriously wrong because WadAuthor, by default, makes every wall with the STARTAN3 texture.

Now then, making an elevator is kinda tricky. What kind of elevator do you want? One that goes down for you as you approach it or a switch activated one? For simplicity's sake, I'll give a quick description on making a switch activated one.

Start with an empty map in WadAuthor. Right click and make a rectangular sector. Drag the edges around so it's somewhat big, you don't need it to be so big you have to scroll around but you do want some space in it.

Right click and add a new thing. You want to add a PLAYER START. Choose start from the left menu and player1 from the list below it. Now Doom knows were to put our guy when you start the level.

Right click and create a new rectangular sector. Right click inside it and choose to flip the linedefs. You will want them facing outwards. Double click it (THE WHOLE SMALL BOX, not just one wall or the big box) and set it's height to 64. Now then, since the floor is higher than the other floors the walls will need below textures.

So double click it again, go to the texturing part. You'll notice that all three texture boxes are empty. That's good. Setting a middle texture here will make a fake wall all the way around your sector but the bottom will still be messed up. So don't put one there. Instead, put a texture on the bottom... SUPPORT3 would be a good choice.

Now, with that done, make another box just like it. Same height and everything, in fact, you can copy and paste it if you want.

Mentally decide which one of the two will be your lift. Right click in it and assign that sector a tag. WadAuthor will say it doesn't have one, so click okay to create one for it.

It's tag is '1'.

Now, double click on a single linedef of the other box. Change it's below texture from SUPPORT3 to SW1GRAY. There's a big list of things to do on the left. These are classes, choose 'lift'. Now there's another list below it and you want SR: Lift (Fast).

Switch activated, Repeatable, fast.

W1: Lift (Turbo) would be walk-activated, can only be done once, and really fast. That's really not what we want.

Okay, so you have SR: Lift (Fast) selected but there's just one more little thing to do. Way down there in the lower right is a drop down box that says SECTOR TAG. Put one there. We're telling the Doom engine to make this linedef a switch, and the effect of that switch is to activate a lift. The sector with tag 1 will be our lift.

Save and play the fucker.

Now play some normal Doom levels and marvel at the effort put into them.

In the future, ask questions like this in the editing forum, that's why it's there!

hey you ralphis shut up i know who you are and i will hurt you because you suck

Hahahaha... haha... ha....

Rest assured i'm not ralphis' best friend here but i'm going to back him up on this one...

1. Ralphis is right. Either get your act together FAST or leave, it'll save you a lot of frustration.

2. That was a horrible flame. Even by cacodemonleader status.

thank you DeadNail it worked! i want to thank you so much

and laim you shut up because you will get hurt just like ralphis!!

The one time I'm nice to someone and they fuck up my nick. Figures.

Hey, rakohus, always spell people's nicknames the way they prefer, like NiGHTMARE. Caps usually matters. Mine is easy, just don't use the fucking shift key.

WadAuthor is the least cryptic Doom editor out there. You can get a lot done with it. Practice the hell out of it. When making sectors of different amounts of light (or height) next to each other make sure you join the nodes. Use the error checker a lot too, if you start getting sector incomplete errors then hit undo until it's gone... those things will really fuck up your day.

WadAuthor is the least cryptic Doom editor out there.

Hardly (look up "cryptic"). Just because what WA does is a subset of DeePsea comands, doesn't imply what you write. Docs are roughly comparable, DeePsea just has to cover more territory - including prefabs (only they are interactive) - so if anything, it's less cryptic:)

The real problem for beginners is not the editor anyway - it's understanding what a level is all about. A quick review of the typical newbie questions posted makes that very clear.

Then once one learns whatever editor they choose (a fair amount of work), a natural resistance to change sets in:) So that's how we get DEU and Waded purists who have their own set of "reasoning" on all this.

WadAuthor is the least cryptic Doom editor out there.

Hardly (look up "cryptic"). Just because what WA does is a subset of DeePsea comands, doesn't imply what you write. Docs are roughly comparable, DeePsea just has to cover more territory - including prefabs (only they are interactive) - so if anything, it's less cryptic:)

The real problem for beginners is not the editor anyway - it's understanding what a level is all about. A quick review of the typical newbie questions posted makes that very clear.

Then once one learns whatever editor they choose (a fair amount of work), a natural resistance to change sets in:) So that's how we get DEU and Waded purists who have their own set of "reasoning" on all this.

I don't get how anyone could possibly consider DeePsea, WA, DEU (and derivatives... DETH, ZETH, etc.) "not cryptic".

WadEd is badly written.

EdMap is decent, though memory-limited (like WadEd)... and has some nicely useful features that nothing else does (editing in an almost-3D mode).

DCK is good. Texture limits and such, however, annoy me.

I just wish Ben Morris would release the source to DCK so that we could finally make a Windows-compatible version.

When making sectors of different amounts of light (or height) next to each other make sure you join the nodes.

Um...Hey deadnail, just how do you do that? I've never been able to get the hang of joining nodes. =)

and laim you shut up because you will get hurt just like ralphis!!

Yup, that sounds like old cacodemon leader to me, minus of course the plural pronouns (No offense, cac. I'm not trying to insult you here).

Mind that my above post, at least the first part of it, was friendly advice. And I offer you more: If you have to flame, don't do it with idle threats.

Now I think I'll try a little "deadnail" here. The name is Liam. Capital L_i_a_m. Thank you.

Just because what WA does is a subset of DeePsea comands, doesn't imply what you write.

Look up "opinion". Look up "biased". Maybe I don't like your editor because it's a crashy bastard compared to similar programs that are years older.

Maybe its just because I can run any combination of programs on my computer imaginable but when DeepSea is thrown in the mix it all turns sour.

I don't get how anyone could possibly consider DeePsea, WA, DEU (and derivatives... DETH, ZETH, etc.) "not cryptic".

Every program, regardless of its purpose, is cryptic in the sense that if you don't know how to do things you won't know how to have the program do things for you.

Um...Hey deadnail, just how do you do that? I've never been able to get the hang of joining nodes. =)

Oh it's easy. First, press alt+f4 until your computer shuts down. Now get yourself an industrial bolt driver and join your CPU and Monitor together. Don't worry about the sparks. That's how I joined mine. Try it.

Not joining nodes is a common mistake.

Mind that my above post, at least the first part of it, was friendly advice. And I offer you more: If you have to flame, don't do it with idle threats.

Some people can't take friendly advice without attempting to be condescending or otherwise penile in nature (many cases in point I could state).

I didn't see any flaming. No all caps with the word fuck forty times or many direct insinuations of incest or bestiality.

A mean post is not a flame, its just a mean post. Flames usually have no basis in the conversation, which is about Doom editing.

I just see some children being pissy for no reason.

I could be a dick for your silly signature but its actually a little humorous. =)

Yeah, ur right about the flaming. I suppose my advice could go for mean posts as well. And whose sig were you referring to?