Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

No more S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

(Cross-posted from a different site...)

I own the whole series thus far, but I've only played Shadow of Chernobyl. I haven't finished the game, it's obvious it wasn't exactly complete (you have to kill an NPC because the car he says he'll take you to doesn't exist,) and it can get rather buggy at times (I once got mauled by pseudo-dogs so hard that I flew over the entire map all stretched out, and then fell through the ground,) but what I saw was an interesting take on the FPS genre. If this news is true, it's sad to hear that its developers went under. At least I'll have the remaining two games to look forward to whenever I finish Shadow.

I can only speak for myself when I say Clear Sky was a bigger bugfest. Even after installing the official patch and an unofficial patch I wasn't able to complete it due to bugs, CtD's and I couldn't find any help from anyone on how to fix them.

That kind of stopped me from playing the other two titles (which I have), but after reading they're not as bad as Clear Sky, I'll have to try them out with mods. It's safe to say though that I won't be touching Clear Sky again unless I can get help with evading/squashing the bugs and errors still present after the latest, official patch and the latest unofficial patch.

Still, it's sad to see these guys go under like this. I really liked the harsh, foreboding, threatening atmosphere of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and it was one of the few game series that I could really get immersed in.

The Green Herring said:

(Cross-posted from a different site...)

I own the whole series thus far, but I've only played Shadow of Chernobyl. I haven't finished the game, it's obvious it wasn't exactly complete (you have to kill an NPC because the car he says he'll take you to doesn't exist,) and it can get rather buggy at times (I once got mauled by pseudo-dogs so hard that I flew over the entire map all stretched out, and then fell through the ground,) but what I saw was an interesting take on the FPS genre. If this news is true, it's sad to hear that its developers went under. At least I'll have the remaining two games to look forward to whenever I finish Shadow.

You need to play it again, with http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009
It really stays true to the original, but fixes bugs and updates assets.
Actually play all 3 with complete :-)

I finished the first 2, and have yet to get stuck into the 3rd. Love the series. Especially when the Monolith are met in the first game, really felt you were fighting against some serious nutjobs, which of course you were.

The company also did Codename Outbreak, an earlier game which has some of the elements of the STALKER in it, and co-op
http://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=codename+outbreak

Damn shame. Just finished vanilla CoP, doing it again with Complete. The Stalker games were unique, why must every modern fps be like cod to succeed?

If these were good games, it's probably for the best if they were to end on a high note. So many franchises get driven into the ground.

Technician said:

If these were good games, it's probably for the best if they were to end on a high note. So many franchises get driven into the ground.

Not Stalker. If anything it got better with each new release

You need to play it again, with http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

You haven't lived until you've tried the AMK mod for SoC. The changes it makes to the AI almost seem to live up to what GSC originally wanted them to be. There's like a sort of twitter system built into your PDA where the NPCs will share information about what's going on in the zone, such as mutants they've spotted (although unfortunately while useful when they mention they've spotted something big like a chimera or pseudogiant in an area, it usually just ends with them reporting that they saw a mutant dog), signs of oncoming emissions (emissions occur randomly like in Call of Pripyat, forcing you to take cover), etc. They also loot any stashes they come across which usually means you have to hide gear you're stashing away.

This is a real shame.

I was optimistic about Stalker 2 and imagined all kinds of things that would improve on what was lacking in the existing "trilogy", without compromising what makes them such great games. Even if it's spirit lives on in the form of 4A Games, Metro 2033 failed to capture a certain something about the Stalker series and I don't expect them to produce anything anywhere near as compelling in the future.

Craigs said:

Not Stalker. If anything it got better with each new release

Except CS and CoP didn't have enough underground lab levels. I know, they're set in different locations so you'd expect the locations in the game to be accordingly different, but the claustrophobic lab levels in SoC provided such a wonderful contrast to the eerie and bleak outdoor environments.

DoomUK said:

Except CS and CoP didn't have enough underground lab levels. I know, they're set in different locations so you'd expect the locations in the game to be accordingly different, but the claustrophobic lab levels in SoC provided such a wonderful contrast to the eerie and bleak outdoor environments.

I actually wasn't too fond of the underground lab segments in SoC, especially the first one where poltergeists were constantly throwing shit at you unless you hunted down each and every single one of them. I'll give them credit though, they did really put you on edge.

I couldn't get any of the STALKER games running without crashing every few minutes so I gave up. I still have one of them somewhere but I can't remember where. :/

Enjay said:

I couldn't get any of the STALKER games running without crashing every few minutes so I gave up. I still have one of them somewhere but I can't remember where. :/

You probably just need patches.

Ahhh this is not good news at all. The first Stalker was pretty damned cool and I really liked the Russian vibe... the neat locations and crazy and sometimes creepy monsters. Too bad I never finished and had a brain fade that lost all my saves. Ffffffuuuuuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

I also have Call of Pripyat, which I bought for $9 and have as of yet to play it beyond the first part.

Dammit this blows. :/

Nems said:

I can only speak for myself when I say Clear Sky was a bigger bugfest. Even after installing the official patch and an unofficial patch I wasn't able to complete it due to bugs, CtD's and I couldn't find any help from anyone on how to fix them.

I found it to be relatively stable on the latest patches. I can't remember any crashes, just a few things going insane from time to time. If the latest patches aren't enough, there is the Sky Reclamation Project mod of community bugfixes.

http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr3&thm_page=&thm_id=5089&page=all&sort=ASC&sec_id=16
Big topic on the GSC forums; linking partially to share some speculation and to share some posted sources on the matter.

Russian forums are strangely quiet; with only two tiny threads that I could find even mentioning it.
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gsc-game.com%2Frussian%2Findex.php%3Ft%3Dcommunity%26s%3Dforums%26s_game_type%3Dxr%26thm_page%3D1%26thm_id%3D13683%26sec_id%3D5

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gsc-game.com%2Frussian%2Findex.php%3Ft%3Dcommunity%26s%3Dforums%26s_game_type%3Dgs

Considering the Russian forums are the ones GSC members actually care about, interact with, and listen to (except social media manager Joe Mullin who will occasionally pop in to the English forums and say something), it's a bit odd that everything is so quiet on the matter.

However, there is some conflicting information, though still nothing official in terms of confirmation, be it yes or no:

Ya-stalker.ru said:

What is needed for a successful game? Of course, a unique, first of all PR. Creators of " STALKER 2 "was first published news of the alleged closure of GSC website Ukranews , then Twitter , thus making the game stalker GSC and the company most discussed in the network. In the GSC office moved Na'vi, so that seems to be true, but here is what GSC have built a new office space that no one has said. It can be assumed that the authors were looking for, thus the reason to merge kontserpt arts, because if they flowed into the network, it would have been much more (view they can be in the gallery ), moreover no one answered the phone and all that was written was from 3 hands, taking no part in the process of creating the game. I would like to emphasize that THQ is unlikely to give up GSC play for such sales, and the film, which is now removed, the series ... in the end of the book. The result is a unique free PR, and some intended for advanced users, which really about student talk. We look forward to the official announcement, see what he says Sergei. The more so that none of the GSC is nothing official about the fate of " STALKER 2 "is not mentioned.

The official twitter account has stated that an official statement will be prepared for Monday.

This is sad news. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is a favorite of mine.

Craigs said:

You haven't lived until you've tried the AMK mod for SoC.

I gotta check this out. Thanks for linking it!

Xeros612 said:

I found it to be relatively stable on the latest patches. I can't remember any crashes, just a few things going insane from time to time. If the latest patches aren't enough, there is the Sky Reclamation Project mod of community bugfixes.

http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr3&thm_page=&thm_id=5089&page=all&sort=ASC&sec_id=16
Big topic on the GSC forums; linking partially to share some speculation and to share some posted sources on the matter.

Russian forums are strangely quiet; with only two tiny threads that I could find even mentioning it.
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gsc-game.com%2Frussian%2Findex.php%3Ft%3Dcommunity%26s%3Dforums%26s_game_type%3Dxr%26thm_page%3D1%26thm_id%3D13683%26sec_id%3D5

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gsc-game.com%2Frussian%2Findex.php%3Ft%3Dcommunity%26s%3Dforums%26s_game_type%3Dgs

Considering the Russian forums are the ones GSC members actually care about, interact with, and listen to (except social media manager Joe Mullin who will occasionally pop in to the English forums and say something), it's a bit odd that everything is so quiet on the matter.

However, there is some conflicting information, though still nothing official in terms of confirmation, be it yes or no:

The official twitter account has stated that an official statement will be prepared for Monday.

There's been a lot of weird shit surrounding the shutdown of GSC. I read a few topics on /v/ claiming it had something to do with the Ukranian mafia (but then again, it's fucking /v/)

I played SoC and right now I'm playing CS... and I'm sad thinking I'll never see Stalker 2...

I'm actually kind of pissed at GSC now. On Saturday they claimed that they would make an official statement today regarding their shutdown and the cancellation of Stalker. What was their official statement? Something they could have just said on Saturday

We will do our best to continue. However, at this moment, nothing is certain.

No explanation or anything. No elaboration of their plans to try to continue. Just "we may or may not have actually cancelled STALKER 2". You know, kind of what we knew already.

Although I loved the stalker series chances are any proper sequal will most likely end up being console based, and if they do end up selling the rights to continue making any new stalker games to some other company they will probably do the same, so I wouldn't care if they stopped making any new games.

Xeros612 said:

That was the unofficial patch that I used (technically what I used was Clear Sky Complete, which claims to have the Sky Reclamation Project bundled with it). I'll have to try it again using just the Sky Reclamation Project mod rather than dealing with Clear Sky Complete. I dunno if that'll make any difference, though.

Excellent news! I am a huge fan of the series. It's a game that really immerses me every time I play, more than Fallout 3/NV ever did.