Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shadow1013

Visplane error in vanilla-ized map

So I've been attempting to rework e1m1 of FreeDOOM into a vanilla map so I can make a pure vanilla episode at first, but around the courtyard error I keep getting a visplane error, if anyone could be of assistance I would appreciate it very much

megaupload.com/?d=QL9LKAQU

If you're unsure what the error means, read up on it here.

As for the map, if you got rid of the two rows of light sectors that would probably do the trick.

No I do know what the error means, I was just wondering what the best action for lowering the visplane count, and you think that will be enough? thank you I'll try it now

shadow1013 said:

No I do know what the error means, I was just wondering what the best action for lowering the visplane count, and you think that will be enough? thank you I'll try it now

Grab a copy of ChocoRenderLimits for testing. It allows you to view the visplane count and the visplanes themselves.

The easiest way of minimizing visplanes is to limit the number of unique sector properties (flats, light level and effects) visible from any given area. There's more to it than that; even a single sector may be split into multiple visplanes, but it should be your first step. Here's more detailed info on how they're drawn:

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_rendering_engine#Drawing_floors_and_ceilings

'height', 'picnum' and 'lightlevel' are the deciding factors for "planefusion" unless it's a skyplane.

Pretty sure that soon Maes will detect the thread and be dropping tech bombs ^^

Agree with Khorus - drop the lights and maybe kill off the H. Though generally the map is slightly too open with a hair too much differing elevation in terrain.

I dropped the whole landing strip outside the building and I've had no more visplane errors, but I'm wondering if maybe I should just close the whole area and make it sorta like the entry room of the real e1m1

btw, would anyone like to make a set of vanilla e1 style maps for freedoom? The only restrictions I ask is that they're not that big and they're techbase, they don't look like the original episode, and that they only use the resources from the resources available in the shareware IWAD

Well, the shareware restriction only to the first episode, to maps outside of that all resources from the iwad can be used. The reason is is I want to make a shareware (completely useless but for completion) version that only has resources from the original shareware target.

I already have:
E1M1
E1M2
E1M4

E2M8

Well I loaded my map in Yadex with the v1.9 DOOM1.WAD, and it wasn't pretty. Just about every sector has some stuff from E2/3 (not just textures, but also flats and things). I guess it wasn't something I considered at all when making the map. Also, Yadex doesn't differentiate between resources being shareware or not, unless you invoke it like "yadex -iwad1 doom1.wad e1m3.wad" and then it won't let you save changes anyway (because before Freedoom, you were expected to have a registered IWAD to build PWADs, or even be able to run them).

So anyway, it would be a lot less trouble to convert Freedoom's E1M3, which is 95% vanilla compatible already. I think the only part that needs changing is the switch that triggers the bridge sections one at a time, using some kind of Boom action. Oh, and there needs to be a key placed for the door to the secret level E1M9.

Ehhh :/ I would prefer converting another map, as I'd have to remove the whole scrolling thing in the first area and I personally feel the map is rather ugly. But yeah, I converted the maps using DB2 running on the shareware IWAD, and then testing on choco-doom with a change so i could load pwads on the shareware to test.

I saw the map and played through it, and I like it, I see a couple textures that aren't E1 (really just COMPWERD, though you'd think that'd be E1 also..), but that's easily fixed, and the addition of a secret exit would be easy to fix, I'm thinking making a slime pool near a wall or something and after you solve a puzzle it drops down to reveal the passage to the exit. Thank you for this one :)