Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

Goldeneye Reloaded

I just got done playing this (after playing the Nintendo 64 version, as well) and I really like what I've played. The re-imagining of the level (dam) was really cool from the beginning, but lost touch half-way through. It was pretty fun, though.
Anyone else play it yet?

The Wii version didn't seem bad when it came out about this time last year...I'd probably actually go buy it on PS3 if it were cheaper. (I'm a royal tight-wad.)

So this is a remake of a re-imagining of a 1997 game which was based on a movie which came out a couple of years earlier?

I hadn't heard of new games, but as far as things go, I never liked the original game in the first place. Awkward controls, boring level design, and impossible-to-see low resolution for split-screen multiplayer. :|

chungy said:

I hadn't heard of new games, but as far as things go, I never liked the original game in the first place. Awkward controls, boring level design, and impossible-to-see low resolution for split-screen multiplayer. :|

I think the biggest attraction for this game was it's unique mission objectives, despite it's lackluster level design. First person shooters just didn't have the player trying to achieve multiple objectives to make progress.

The splitscreen was fun at the time, but it didn't age well. The controls are clunky, the engine puts artificial limitations on where you can move (removed in Perfect Dark) and the resolution is just sad.

The level design is really still better than most games from 1997. It worked well for singleplayer, whereas only a few of them were fun in multiplayer.

I've never tried the new one. I have, however, tried Goldeneye: Source. It's ok. I'd rather play Doom.

Mr. T said:

GE's level design was amazing, are you dudes on crack?!?

Arguably, maybe some of the outdoors levels. The indoors maps were linear as fuck.

I kind of liked the remake but was also kind of disappointed with what it was lacking compaired to the first, I kind of missed running over people with the tank to hear their bloody screams, the dual weilding, the larger arsonal of weapons, freely usable mines (not to mention the proximity kind), no actual weapon limit, the secret bonus levels and the non-CoD style multiplayer, to tell you the truth I even liked Goldeneye 2 Rogue Agent much more than it. :P

The thing that made the game version of Goldeneye so great was that it tried less to be so linear movie like other than every other movie based game and expanded on it instead, so the main problem with the remake is that it tries to be more like the movie and less like the original game.

Technician said:

Arguably, maybe some of the outdoors levels. The indoors maps were linear as fuck.

Not really. The levels are open, there are multiple routes, rooms that are just there for looks, secret pathways, etc.

This thread has inspired me to grab an emulator and... I mean, get my N64 out of the attic and play some old school Goldeneye.

Mr. T said:

Not really. The levels are open, there are multiple routes, rooms that are just there for looks, secret pathways, etc.

you're right. Facility was such a fun one that it feels like a MAP01 if made into a deathmatch level. Which is just what my friend tim did back in highschool. it played just as we expected : like a map01. I still have ot to this day and only play it with friends.

It's funny what we put up with back in the day. I remember when Goldeneye's multiplayer was all the rage, and you were restricted to this tiny little square with less than 200 vertical pixels to work with, and on a 4:3 TV, no less. It was absurdly low resolution, but you could still see what you were doing. Compare that to modern splitscreen, where with four players you have more than 500 vertical pixels to work with.

The cool thing about GoldenEye's levels (or lame if you don't like them, I suppose) is that a lot of them were based directly on blueprints of the movie sets themselves. The level designers modeled the sets to the best ability of the game engine and tied the sets together with new areas. Facility and Archives are great examples of this. It's really cool watching the movie and seeing how closely the game matches it. The guys who modeled the levels didn't really plan any gameplay either; they just made some cool looking, believable architecture and different guys went in an added all of the props, enemies, and other things to make the actual gameplay.

I played the Wii version and it was alright for what it was. The level design was pretty bad compared to the original, especially Facility and Bunker, which had been two of my favorites. I think the COD engine/gameplay actually lent itself pretty well to GoldenEye; as much as the "everything modern sucks" segment of the GE community would like to deny it, the original pretty much had the same style of gameplay. It's just gotten a bit more refined over the years. I don't have much interest in playing it again with slightly better quality graphics, although I'd love to do that with the original.

Edit: Although to be honest, I couldn't care less about graphics, I'd play a port of GE to a modern platform if the only thing it changed was the crosshair moving around the screen while aiming. I played GE and Perfect Dark like that for years, and the first two TimeSplitters games, but after taking a pretty long break from them all it's just irritating how much artificial difficulty it adds to the game.

It's actually a left over from an earlier stage in development, when the game was a rail shooter rather than giving you full control over your movement. They kept the rail shooter concept for aiming, so you have limited control over your movement, but can aim around the screen without turning. It's an interesting concept, but really adds nothing but frustration compared to pretty much every other FPS.

Haha, when I first saw this game as I was passing the Xbox section at Wal-Mart, I thought that perhaps some strange legal magic had finally brought the XBLA update of the original Goldeneye to completion and release. I should have guessed it was just the Wii remake being pushed out to the other platforms.

Serious Sam 3 has four-way splitscreen; it's available only on PC... but yeah, splitscreen basically died (the big companies seem to view splitscreen players as freeloaders).

Bucket said:

Fixed.

Now, I'm generally out of the loop when it comes to modern games, but are you telling me that no games do splitscreen anymore?

I don't know if NONE of them do, but the general feeling seems to be that it's better to sell four copies of a game than have four people play one copy.

Bucket said:

I don't know if NONE of them do, but the general feeling seems to be that it's better to sell four copies of a game than have four people play one copy.

No, not really. A large portion of console gamers are college students who enjoy gathering around a TV to play split screen. You drop that, you drop a huge portion of that audience. Also if you've ever played any of the Halo series online you'd see that a lot of the matches tend to have several groups playing splitscreen together

I saw the original Wii version of the game in action and wasn't impressed. I prefer Goldeneye: Source, which I played religiously in late 2009-early 2010 and still try to play with bros as much as possible today.

yellowmadness54 said:

But COD has splitscreen. Just saying.

The funny thing about that, though, is that splitscreen players are limited to a paltry selection of game modes (none of the Hardcore modes, to my knowledge, and in Black Ops none of the "betting" modes like Sticks & Stones are there either if I remember correctly) and only the default equipment presets.

WildWeasel said:

The funny thing about that, though, is that splitscreen players are limited to a paltry selection of game modes (none of the Hardcore modes, to my knowledge, and in Black Ops none of the "betting" modes like Sticks & Stones are there either if I remember correctly) and only the default equipment presets.

Wait what? You can create custom loadouts for splitscreen in black ops. I only play TDM games with my friends but apparently it is possible to play wager matches in splitscreen, but you have to play regular online matches first