Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

The first wad you ever played.

Any of you remember what was the first wad you ever played?

I remember mine was the first map on the maximum doom cd. All I remember about that map today is you start in a long dark hall facing a wall slightly to your right and there are candelabras going down the hall. I think the texture on the floor was FLAT10. And there was a large cavernous chamber somewhere.

Memento Mori. I wanted to play Doom and not expect what was coming at me. It felt like a whim at the time, something that would pass rather quickly.

Heh.

Probably Doom1.wad and E1M1. If you mean a pwad, then I don't really know, but it was probably something that my friend made.

I can't say whether it was Scythe, Artifact or something else from the top 100 Doom WADs list. I just remember the other one having a dark room with candles/torches around the place in a dark room and not knowing where to go (and no, it wasn't Doomsday of UAC).

It was from a PC Gamer CD, but I have no recollection of the name of the map. I do remember the start area, it was an awkward trapezoidal hallway with BSTONE1 everywhere and one of the PANEL textures at the end. It was terrible, but I was in awe of the fact that you could load custom maps. There were two maps on the CD, and I played them both several times. When I found Demon Gate at a computer show, it was on.

A mod that turned Demons (and Spectres) into Penguins, as I remember it, although by that time my DOOM.WAD already had been altered to have Demons shouting "I'll swallow your soul!" (which I heard as "Oh no ya don't!") so I may be forgetting something else. First new map I played was quite possibly Doom in Tibet, YAKWORLD or Hoover Dam, but I was so young at the time that I'd be hard pressed to remember properly. I know I'd played a PWAD or two (and even got my hands on DEU) before getting Hank Leukart's Hackers Guide to Doom, so I'd played some maps (and made some oddly shaped rooms packed full of things) before playing UAC_DEAD, There's No Place Like Home and whatever else came on that CD.

Something for ultimate doom. I was messing around with my dad's ultimate doom cd a couple years ago, tried out a couple things with doomsday. I think it was either UAC dead or crusades. I didn't get doom2 for a good while, but once I got it, there was no turning back. Payed 20$ for it off the id site instead of through steam for like 5$, hahah. Definitely been worth it.

YAKWORLD, I think. Actually, it could have been one of any number of WADs off the "Doom 1 & 2 Collection". I can hardly remember any more than a few of them.

I had a CD called Doomsday full of PWADs and I played a PWAD on that which was based in a Doom 2 city map.

The first crafted Megawad I had played was one called World or WOW and it was fun -- I was then introduced to Hell Revealed as my second.

The first ever pwad I think was the South Park Doom, which only replaced sprites and sounds. It was pretty sweet then. At least... so it seemed.

As for a real pwad - Memento Mori.

I have no idea, just something from 94-95. Some of the earliest I played were uac_dead, crater, subway21. But I don't think they were the very first...

First PWAD i've played was the Simpsons Doom patch (the original for Doom/Ultimate Doom, not the Doom II re-edition with "groovy" textures), but the first PWAD with levels i've played was Pinochestein 3D.

Chex Quest followed by Zpack and Action Doom 2. The former wad disappointed me quite a bit and I never managed to finish off the other two because my current pc can't handle their later maps.

Birdbrain said:

Chex Quest

I would've said Chex Quest instead of Doom 2 Xtreme in my post, but I personally don't think this really counts as a PWAD because it's a different game compared to Doom.

I don't know... maybe it's just me. :|

The earliest I can remember by name was alcatraz.wad. When I got into playing PWADs I was more interested in maps based on real places. I got them off one of those shovelware CDs and alphabetically it makes sense this was one of the first.

I don't have a clue what it was like though. The earliest PWAD that I can actually remember what it was like was one set on a wooden ship. There were monsters but I think it was DM as I don't remember it having an exit. That map tricked me into thinking floor over floor was possible in (vanilla) Doom due to it having an upper and lower deck, though they were actually accessed via a teleporter.

The first PWADs I downloaded were 10 Sectors, Fava Beans, CHRetro and Scythe. All thanks to references in the 10 years of Doom article. I can't remember in what order but I was blown away by them all - especially Scythe, which I still believe is pretty close to the blueprint of the perfect megawad. I have fond memories of co-oping CHRetro and my brothers arguing over whose turn it was.

My first PWAD was The Hoover Dam. I remember being blown away by the idea that you could make your own levels for a game, and then put them on the internet (which was fairly new at the time) for all to play. I then played the rest of the author's wads, including such titles as The Bleeding Tower of Pisa, a map taking place in a hotel, and several others.

I then began searching for levels wherever I could. Dad even bought me a CD of levels called Doom I/II Collection. My memory was that most of the levels I played were awful, though. I still remember one level that was just E1M1 with a different start point and a Cyberdemon thrown in. Even back then, as a young kid still entranced by the magic of new levels, I could tell that that one sucked.