Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Why isn't this game better known?

Its always bad when bad games get released, but its downright sad when good games get no attention.

And thus, I wanted to create a thread to point out about the existence of this underrated little gem that I stumbled across largely by chance:

http://stormfrontlinenation.com/en/home

Its basically a strategy game that can be most easily described as being a neat mix between the kind of strategy games that are released by paradox and the Total war series by CA, resulting in a game that is not too complex for casual players but also not to simplistic for more hardcore players either.

The game is a turn based strategy game that takes place on a map of Europe and North Africa in the year of 2012. The world has gone to shit and its your job to pick any of the 45 or so European/North Africa nations and steer it towards victory in the next great European war!

Just like in the total war series the game plays out in 2 parts, on a strategic map where you manage your nation and on a tactical battle map. Unlike the total war games however the tactical battles are also turn based (though the tactical battles technically use simultaneous turns) instead of playing in real time. Think of the tactical battles as being like warfare in Civilization 5 but with more realistic strategy involved.

Every nation technically gets access to the same units but there is lots of unit customization that largely makes up for it.

Trailer:

I am personally having lots of fun with this game, and I just wanted to point it out that it exists because I hate it when good games go by unnoticed.

I know that the game technically only holds a 6/10 score on metacritic but I think the reason for many of the low scores has more to do with the fact that the game is a bit too expensive for what its worth rather then it being bad (gamespot gave the game a solid 7/10 though). The game currently costs about 40 bucks on STEAM which I think is somewhat too much, but once it goes down to 30 bucks or less its easily worth it.

Do you enjoy strategy games? And if so will you be picking this one up at some point?

Discuss.

Grazza said:

Turn-based strategy game? Ugh. Boring!

Seriously, it sounds a little remiscent of Diplomacy.

Diplomacy (the video game, I haven't played the board game) was very bad.

Its nothing like that game.

Also, what's wrong with turn-based strategy games?

I never had any problem with Diplomacy, but if you don't have 2 or 3 days to play it in, you're better off doing something else (as far as my experiences go).

As far as the OP goes, the game sounds like something I might like, but I'm not gonna go out and buy it. Maybe later down the road.

Probably because the game sounds like a neo-Nazi sect.

Looks pretty cool, though.

Danarchy said:

Probably because the game sounds like a neo-Nazi sect.

That's also what I thought. It really depends on whether you separate that "Front" part from the "Storm". Initially I read it as "Stormfront line nation", and seeing how it involved Europe and Africa (WTF?) I imagined it would be some Odinistic eschatological "Mighty Whiteys vs Niggaz" all-out Ragnarok simulation.

In any case, there are plenty of "Awesome games/dusty diamonds/good games that were overlooked" articles around, and eventually someone rediscovers them.

I think that turn based strategy games may well be my least favourite type of game. :/

hardcore_gamer said:

But the name says STORM: Frontline nation.

The word Stormfront never appears. I don't get it why people read it that way.

The URL.

It probably has to do with the way the game was marketed. I haven't seen any tv ads, or posters or popups or recommendations from anyone about it. It's a big part of the company's job to have a marketing strategy to make a successful and profitable game than it is to just make a good game.

Holy shit, hexes are back. I need to show this to my friend who still plays Allied General.

Danarchy said:

The URL.

In which case people need reading comprehension lessons because "Stormfront: Line Nation" doesn't remotely make sense, if that's how they read the URL.

Well, it's word association. Seeing the phrase "storm front" in anything aside from weather reports sends up a red flag when I see it. It reminds me a bit of that "kidsexchange" sign.

AirRaid said:

Happens a lot in URLs. The one most commonly referred to it http://www.penisland.net/.

Even without misreading it as something gay, It made me think of an island full of pens. Ya know, the kind where you keep sheep in. Or is that New Zealand? Hmmm...

Xeros612 said:

In which case people need reading comprehension lessons because "Stormfront: Line Nation" doesn't remotely make sense, if that's how they read the URL.

Not really a question of reading comprehension. Upon seeing anything, before we have had time to identify or read the content in any detail, our brains seize upon anything vaguely recognizable and form an instant emotional reaction to it. This is a useful defence mechanism, as it might buy us an extra split second to respond to a threat. So it is inevitable that an url like this will get a negative reaction - we experience a reaction before we've consciously even seen the words, let alone read them.

Of course, in the case of words, you need to have some memory or experience to trigger a negative or positive reaction. If the US Census guy who had to choose an abbreviated name for a document about imports and exports had been a DW regular, he would probably have chosen a name other than impsex.pdf.

Edited by Grazza