Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Rainbow Bacon

The best one room speedmap

Even HMP is pretty out there on the insanity scale. Most of the health being frontloaded makes the final two cybies and archies an exercise of luck for anyone who hasn't got godlike movement skills.

On HNTR it was okay.

Escaped the final fight on UV through a combination of luck and a blind spot behind the black pillar to the left of the last switch. You stick there, they can't see you and aren't awake yet. Then when you move forward a bit, the archviles, who are now on the ground, get caught up in the crossfire, so all you have to worry about is running by the single cyb by the exit. Didn't do it exactly legit, since I was save/reloading, but it is possible with a bunch of luck.

As for actually killing the cybers ... there is no way in that small of a room. Between the archviles retargeting you because of splash or stray buckshot, revived monsters getting in the way, and the cyb's splash damage, I was lucky to get around them. Only took like 2 tries after I got there though. I think I had maybe 10 deaths at most. Would be made actually doable with an extra megasphere and bfg instead of plasma. Maybe.

I hated those black pillars though. They section off like 1/3 of the map from the rest, so running circles around the revenants and escaping the hell knights before them can be rough. Getting in the revenant's faces actually is the best idea, because of their faulty attack distance code, and at one point I actually got stuck with a mancubus in one of the rev alcoves. I barely got out, with like 10 hp. Brutal.

I tried it a whole bunch of times on UV and kept dying in the manc/revnant trap and now I hear about cybers + archviles D:

I used a bit of save/loading to reach the final fight in ZDoom on UV, but concluded that killing everything wasn't worth the effort after a few deaths. Fact is, it only takes one cyber to step in between the black pillar and a wall to block your circle strafing path round, which pretty much is an instant death right there. Killing the AVs was easy enough with the rocket launcher and a quick bit of strafing, but that space with three cyberdemons is far too much like hard work to be fun (for me). Fortunately I could just run to the exit when the cybers were in the main room.

I think I'll try making one myself now, as I've seen this sort of thing before I quite liked it. Well... that and it's a quick, easy project.

Here we go:

phobus.servegame.com/doom/ph_quik6.zip

Took me 3 hours of actual working time, with an additional 2 hours spent doing domestic stuff in that timeframe. Should be limit removing, as it worked in prboom+ for me. Has a MAPINFO for ports that support it and one or two other additions. Is also much easier than DoomHero85's map :P

Hmm... that's not meant to be possible. I'll fix that!

EDIT: Right, fixed I think - same link as before :)

So far liking Phobus's the most, although does that qualify as a single room. How literally do you mean room?

In Deathroom, I kept on thinking to myself what a sacrament it is to have such a diverse group of monster's lined up in such an orderly matter. And than I died on the part where a swarm of muncs and reverent swarm at you from every swarming direction. Overall a pleasurable experience though from beginning to end.

@Phml: Just played yours in ZDoom - all works nicely, although the lone cyberdemon on that lowering floor for some long was no threat at all! Your map was much bigger than I was expecting too! Possibly the most brown submission we'll see ;)

@Phml: Cool map, but it's not really what i had in mind. One room means, one single little area that different fights take place in. Fun map though. Fuck that snipey chaingunner at the beginning.

although the lone cyberdemon on that lowering floor for some long was no threat at all!

I'm guessing there's different clipping code or something like that. In PrBoom+, that cybie shows up for a second or two then falls down behind as the floor lowers.

The way you lived through a cybie rocket with 8hp and killed the second one with your very last rocket was too cool. Also liked the way you looked at... Everything, right after loading in. Just picture that marine going "what the hell". :)

So, probably not a good idea to submit this one to CC5, huh?

Here is one of mine for you. It isn't exactly a speed map per say, but I made it relatively quick by my standard (roughly 8 non-consecutive hours), which I don't usually do. Also, I think everyone would agree it tips the "1-room entry" scales a tad bit (*snicker*).

Also, I played a Phml map and was psyched out by it...