Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eargosedown

Duke Nukem Forever on sale -- $5

It's for sale today only 75% (Down to $5) on steam, for anyone interested.

Now the question is--is the game actually WORTH the five bucks?

In before flood of "LOL GAME IS SHIT" posts.

It was worth the $10 it was on sale for earlier this year. It's worth the $5 it's going for now. Don't go in expecting Duke Nukem 3D 2, and it's a half-decent shooter with a few good jokes and a few terrible ones, and a fair bit of fun if you can get past Halo 2 "health" system and the mishmash of 15 years of different shooters' design philosophy.

A score of 54 from MetaCritic tells me... no.

Your mileage may vary however.

eargosedown said:

is the game actually WORTH the five bucks?

If you literally had no other games you wanted to play or nothing else to do, and you were so terminally bored you were considering getting a gun and shooting yourself, then maybe yeah.

Its true that 5 bucks is not so much money that you will seriously regret paying 5 bucks for the game, but just because something doesn't cost much that doesn't automatically mean that its actually worth playing.

I would never watch "The hottie and the naughty" by Paris Hilton for example even if I could find a copy of it for only 1 buck. I consider Duke Nukem Forever to be just like that. Granted that I payed for it while it was brand new at full price because I gave in to temptation and wanted to play the game people had been talking about for more then a decade so perhaps my loathing of this game has something to do with that, but even if so I would not play it even if its only 5 bucks because the fact that it now only costs 5 bucks does not magically make it worth playing.

A cheap shitfest or an expensive shitfest, its still a shitfest. And shitfests should be avoided.

I'm currently in the Steam store and it's buggy as shit right now, perhaps due to tons of people simultaneously shopping. Gonna buy Duke Nukem Forever as well as Portal 2 for $7.50!!!(which ends in like 3 hours)

@Havok
MetaCritic also gave a very simple puzzle game with an autotuned robot voice spewing forced memes 90+ and the most simplified, consolized Elder Scrolls game ever a higher rating than Morrowind. I wouldn't give Metacritic too much credit to be honest. Oh, and those scores you're mentioning are only averages of the "professional" reviewers, so there's that as well. And it certainly ain't the case that games that are even more repetitive/derivative and broken are often rated lower than this. (Dead Island - remember how THAT was on launch? How about Call of Rehash? Any shittily ported Ubisoft game?)

You could certainly do worse with $5 or the equivalent than a half-decent shooter.

I'm saving my 5 bucks for the Steam version of that new Sonic CD remake. Fuck DNF, no way you'd get me to play such a terrible game.

Seriously, the game may be worth the $5, but there's many, many more games out there that are a hell of a lot better for $5. I mean, I couldn't get myself through the first few levels, so I'm glad I didn't waste even $5 on the game.

I noticed that. I'd be all over it if it weren't for the fact that I'm unemployed.

Sure, it will be worth $5...as a magazine bundle, and then most of the price would go to the paper, which at least can always be used to wipe your ass with (read this with the Duke's voice for extra awesome or something).

What I'm more curious about is whether the new DLC pack is actually any good. If it was developed after the game's reacquisition, it might actually be decent considering it's not a rushjob of hacking things together like the original finished product was. But I'm not taking chances at the moment. :P

If wikipedia is to be trusted, the current reviews seem rather all over the place with the DLC, with maybe slight positive bias. I don't really have much faith in it myself, though. But who knows

Bitterly humorous comment continuing thread's trend of expressing disappointment regarding stated, idiotic game.

I bet most of us bitter, grumpy misers haven't even played the demo, yet post bitter remarks here just to sound cool or something.

I guess I'm a sucker for low-brow humor. When I fired the game up and Duke was getting a BJ from the Olsen twins(or at least a thinly-veiled reference to them), I knew I had spent my $5 well.

Vordakk said:

I guess I'm a sucker for low-brow humor. When I fired the game up and Duke was getting a BJ from the Olsen twins(or at least a thinly-veiled reference to them), I knew I had spent my $5 well.

You'll probably be feeling differently once you get to the hive

Craigs said:

You'll probably be feeling differently once you get to the hive

Damn. You're probably right though. I've heard some bad things about that level.

I commend them for trying to break boundaries with the hive mission, but it is painfully obvious that they had no idea how to make a tasteless scene like that funny.

Then again, the bound women in 3D had me scratching my head as to why they put them in there other than to blow up. The 64 port actually made them a game mechanic.

Yeah, I saw DNF for $10 at Target yesterday. I took a photo with my phone to savor the humor - A once badass icon of gaming, degraded and forgotten to ludicrous levels. Shows how much the wait was *worth*, eh?

Technician said:

I commend them for trying to break boundaries with the hive mission, but it is painfully obvious that they had no idea how to make a tasteless scene like that funny.

What boundaries are there to break? What humor can be extracted from bullshit like that? In Duke3D, it was creepy as shit and showed you that the aliens were scumbags. In DNF, it's made for and appreciated only by creepy manchildren.

Xeros612 said:

@Havok
MetaCritic also gave...the most simplified, consolized Elder Scrolls game ever a higher rating than Morrowind.

Oh man, you Morrowind fanboys are all the same. "WAH NO SPEARS WAH FAST TRAVEL WAH I SHOULD BE ABLE TO BREAK THE GAME EASILY". Move on, ffs.

InsanityBringer said:

If wikipedia is to be trusted, the current reviews seem rather all over the place with the DLC, with maybe slight positive bias. I don't really have much faith in it myself, though. But who knows

It was really good. TDWCM had more consistent art design, better combat pacing, improved dialogue and voice acting, and plenty of throwbacks to the first two games. One of the beginning sequences has Duke going down an elevator to the techno city below - everything from the colors to the elevator design felt very Duke 2-ish. Later in the game, you fight alongside another character (a familar NPC that doesn't feel like a pointless stand-in this time around) and with the pumping music and neat level design, almost recaptures some Duke3D moments. Everything about the expansion felt more polished and the level design in particular was much improved.

Overall, I wish they would've taken this approach to the original DNF, while [vanilla DNF] still a blast to play, it had dull moments of design frustration. This expansion actually has a coherent plot and level progression. Of course, it's always interesting to see Proton again (he even communicates through monitors, like he did in the original).

Duke's attitude is definitely more honed in this game (hint: not immature), it doesn't seem like the dialogue is a decade old either. There's plenty of good fights, humorous writing, and welcoming pacing additions. If you didn't like the original game, you might want to give the expansion a chance. I got it for Xbox Live and it's a blast, even though the PC version allows extras like FOV modification, etc. Decent game length too. The only gripes were the 360 load times, but that was already expected.

eargosedown said:

It's for sale today only 75% (Down to $5) on steam, for anyone interested.

Joseph A. Bank is also offering an amazing "buy one get two absolutely free" deal. Any other special offers people want to plug on behalf of any companies?

Grazza said:

Joseph A. Bank is also offering an amazing "buy one get two absolutely free" deal. Any other special offers people want to plug on behalf of any companies?

I keep seeing that ad and wish I could afford that shit. I'd wear suits every day if I had the money and it were socially acceptable.