Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JavaGuy

'Nother idea

The pistol shouldn't suck as much as it does, but things should be bit different. Rather than a type of enemy have so many hit points and a shot do so much damage, it should be like this: The pistol takes a lot of shots to kill a zombie, because they're already dead, but a shotgun takes it out in one blast. Imps are still more powerful, but it only takes a few shots to kill them since they're living flesh and blood. When you shoot either of them, they get knocked back for a second and can't attack. Therefore, these enemies are only a problem when in groups.

I wasn't thinking of Resident Evil, but come to think of it, they did do a good job with the whole thing.

That makes sense. I like the idea. You can't just cap a zombie twice and expect it to die. But an Imp is different. It should take about 3-4 shots to kill an Imp.
Naturally, the Shotgun should take a Zombie down, while blowing it to pieces. Same for the Imp.

Naturally, the Shotgun should take a Zombie down, while blowing it to pieces.

Monsters being gibbed by non-explosive weapons is just a slight bit gay.

The Doom pistol doesn't really suck that much - RTCW's Lüger is far worse.
Hm, and personally, I don't like the idea because I don't view the former humans as zombies - only as resurrected human bodies instilled with a demon's soul.
They simply look too much like regular humans to be zombies imho.

But I agree on some of what you said. It'd be nice if they improved on the pistol (giving it a slightly faster firing rate perhaps) and I might as well have mentioned in another thread that akimbo pistols would be nice too if its done right.

Originally posted by FlatHead
Monsters being gibbed by non-explosive weapons is just a slight bit gay.

Not if you out the gun in the monsters' mouth :D

<BANG> *gibs fly everywhere*

i just hope they include more than one BORING hand gun like in previous doom games. it would be cool if they include different hand guns of different calibers each one wiht special function. like they could include a 50 cal hand gun wich would take a zombie down wiht one shot on the head.

Personally, I think one type of pistol is good enough as long as the pistol has its uses in the game.
I mean, the pistol ain't particularly the most used weapon in Doom, so why would the developers waste time and resources on making several pistols when they could make so many other cool weapons?

I like the pistol in HL. Even if it isn't always useful, you don't really get tired of it (er... I don't anyways). The pistol in HALO is also nice, I just don't like the way it looks.

The pistol in Half-Life was actually useful after you got the bigger guns. I used it for killing Headcrabs and Barnacles, and you could actually use it underwater. If you ever test it (say against Barnacles) you'll find the pistol is round-for-round more powerful than the MP5, even tho they use the same ammo.

The Doom 3 pistol has to be useful after you start picking up biger guns. one thought I had was to give pistol headshots a bigger damage multiplier than other weapon headshots.

I don't mind if the pistol is useless when you use only one, but once you find a second, you should be able to go all akimbo with them, meaning that you get a decent weapon out of it which is more or less as effective as an accurate machinegun at close range (accurate machineguns don't exist - the recoil always throws the aim off the target unless you fire in short bursts).

But generally I agree, the pistol should have more uses.
RtCW's Lüger is even more useless than the pistol in Wolf3d, which is annoying as Hell and even the silencer doesn't add much to it as you could just as easily use the sten to kill silently.
However, the dual colts are damn effective against troops at close to medium range, especially because you don't need to fire in bursts like you have to with the submachineguns - just a shame that you don't use them that often because of the ammo balance in that game :-(

[edit]Oh yeah, and the pistol should use its own unique ammo type and not share ammo with the chain gun. That way you can always use the dual pistols whenever you're low on everything else[/edit]

Yeah. It actually doesn't make sense to give them the same ammo. I'd think the chaingun ammo would be a lot bigger anyways. I suppose this isn't always the case, but it usually is.