Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom-Dew

Playing WADs 101

First and foremost, I apologize for making my first thread a newbie question. I’m sure this question has been asked so many times but I cannot find the answer.

I have the full version of Doom, Doom II, Final Doom. I’ve seen a lot of great WADS out there, however not all of them can be played through Doom II. WADS like Scythe, Sunder, etc. The "Z Malloc error" comes up.

That’s when I found out that WADS can be played by downloading ZDoom and then Freedoom (in order to retrieve the Doom 2 wad file) so the WADS can be all in the same spot as the ZDoom folder. As I open the Zdoom file so they can open the WAD file, the WADS are converted into the Freedom WAD texture and style and not in the original DOOM style. So I must be doing something wrong or making it more complicated than it should be.

So what’s the real key to playing WADS via Doom with ease?

You don't need Freedoom if you have Doom 1 or 2. Freedoom is as the name implies, a free IWAD for Doom.

Instead of dumping the Freedoom IWAD into your ZDoom folder, you could always copy over DOOM2.WAD and/or DOOM.WAD (from whichever directories you've installed Doom into) there instead.

More cleanly, you could just edit the [IWADSearch.Directories] section of your ZDoom's .ini file so that you don't have to duplicate any files.

Mithran Denizen: You're absolutely right! And it worked. Thank you very much :). How do I get the option of choosing what level to play when I hit ECS and hit New Game?

xvertigox: Thanks for the visual. I will definitely keep that into consideration as well.

there is no obvious menu option. you can

a) drop down console with ~ key and type "map map09" but replace 09 with whatever number
b) or start new game on desired difficulty and then type idclev09 and it will warp you.

zdl is also a really nifty and easy to use program and i recommend it, unless you are fine with drag and drop always.

and don't hesitate to ask questions or apologize for doing so, i think we are all happy to help. especially considering i have been posting similar helpmehelpme threads on a few other forums lately :p

Awesome stuff!! I can't emphasize enough how grateful I am to have registered and got all my questions answered. Thanks everyone :).

Tango said:

b) or start new game on desired difficulty and then type idclev09 and it will warp you.

[/B]

you don't actually have to type "idclev" into the zdoom console, you can also just type "map map09" or "changemap map09"

Uuhhhhh... Tango pointed that out.

Tango said:

there is no obvious menu option. you can

a) drop down console with ~ key and type "map map09" but replace 09 with whatever number