Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MasterofJKD

Ready to put my first map on the web

it's my first map, I've been working on it for a few weeks off and on, just needed some helping posting it to the web, what site do you guys usually use? Also I would like my map to be critiqued by people on these forums, I would like some feedback on it, whether actually playing the map or analyzing the map on doombuilder, it is zdoom udmf format. Its map09 in doom2.wad, would like feedback on the things that you did like, and on things that you didn't find good or interesting.

oh man sorry about that I guess I'll have to take a look at it in doombuilder2 also maybe you could help me out by opening it up as well and taking a look at where I went wrong.

neat. really not bad at all for a first effort. as far as basic structures/room layouts go, you seem to already have a pretty good understanding of how to make interesting rooms with height variation etc etc. the layout was pretty solid, though it wasn't exactly clear to me at times where to go/what a switch did, but you can still figure it out by process of elimination.

visually it could benefit from some more consistency i think. there were some textures that seemed a little out of place, but that all depends on how you integrate them. the tan brick arches in the outside area would fit better if they were used more elsewhere, though alternatively you could remove them entirely. some of the texture alignment was off (it looked like some of the doors were misaligned by a pixel or two?) but that's an easy fix.

the only other major thing is that, minus the colored lighting, i didn't really see anything that actually *needed* zdoom. in fact i'd forgotten you said it was a zdoom map until i saw the colored red lighting. it may as well be a vanilla map without the colored lighting.

not bad at all for a first effort!

well I used the zdoom feature for the walk over line ambushes, so that the chaingunners would teleport in. I thought I needed to script to make that happen plus I used the deep water effect in the room with the bridge, theres a rocket launcher there and its also a "secret" room also did you guys find the secret room with the backpack in it? its right past the deep water effect.

MasterofJKD said:

oh man sorry about that I guess I'll have to take a look at it in doombuilder2 also maybe you could help me out by opening it up as well and taking a look at where I went wrong.

Don't be sorry. I played in GZDoom (could be why I saw a HOM?) in DB2 the HOM does not exist. I'll try ZDoom.

Du Mhan Yhu said:

Don't be sorry. I played in GZDoom (could be why I saw a HOM?) in DB2 the HOM does not exist. I'll try ZDoom.

It didn't happen in Skulltag Software renderer, so I guess it's just a quirk in the GZDoom.

Anyways, I managed to beat this level and surprisingly it's really good for a first map. The biggest problem is the lack of details and texture misalignments. Also I don't understand why did I have to die on the pentagram to proceed to the next level. You could've just made it so that when you enter the pentagram you go to the next level instead of making you wait until it kills you.

Anyways, keep up the good work!

MasterofJKD said:

well I used the zdoom feature for the walk over line ambushes, so that the chaingunners would teleport in. I thought I needed to script to make that happen plus I used the deep water effect in the room with the bridge, theres a rocket launcher there and its also a "secret" room also did you guys find the secret room with the backpack in it? its right past the deep water effect.

i found the backpack, yeah, and missed the rocket somehow. didn't even consider deep water.

aside from deep water and colored lighting though (both of which have minimal impact both visually and in terms of gameplay), everything else can be done in vanilla. take the ssg ambush for instance. in vanilla, make a square around the ssg thing and assign each linedef the action W1 Floor Lower to Lowest Floor. somewhere off the map, the chaingunners sit on a raised platform just big enough to fit them, and the W1 lines around the ssg are tagged to these platforms. then once the platform lowers, the chaingunners walk over a teleport line.

this may sound a little confusing on paper but if you look at some examples it should be pretty obvious.
in this map if you look at it in db, you can see all the monster teleport closets off the map. each raised platform has its own tag, and the lower sector is joined with one of the major sectors in the map so that the monsters are guaranteed to be active.

or, for another method that functions similarly, look at vanguard map02. off the map monsters are standing in front of a teleport line but can't use it because the line is raised up. once the platform gets lowered, monsters can walk over the teleport line.

also, while it may seem like a lot to take in right now, you should definitely check out this little guide sometime. the pictures in the thread no longer work, but reading all the tips posted will surely help anyway.

TomoAlien said:

Also I don't understand why did I have to die on the pentagram to proceed to the next level. You could've just made it so that when you enter the pentagram you go to the next level instead of making you wait until it kills you.

Anyways, keep up the good work!

I wanted the player to take damage, so that in the next level I could make you start off in a kind of prison setting and then you'd have to fight ur way out so it would make more sense but it was my first map and I didn't want to continue the wad if the map wasn't any good.
Also I wanted to map in udmf so in future mapping I'd be more familiar with the engine, then I could get to the really creative stuff I have in my head, that I simply cannot do for lack of knowledge...but they will happen. I wanted to start off with udmf format so that my knowledge of the format would slowly unfold gradually as I learned more.