Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Eternity intended to have dialogues?

I vaguely remember seeing some old change logs (probably during the Gamma release) talking about some dialog system. Sure enough, I've now searched for "dialog" in the source code, and found a pair of files called D_DIALOG, with the year 2001 commented in them, whose descriptions weare talking about "Dialog Scripting System (DSS) Interpreter". Intriguing.

Is the system (secretly) accessible to the user? How complex is it in relation to the Strife dialog?

printz said:

I vaguely remember seeing some old change logs (probably during the Gamma release) talking about some dialog system. Sure enough, I've now searched for "dialog" in the source code, and found a pair of files called D_DIALOG, with the year 2001 commented in them, whose descriptions weare talking about "Dialog Scripting System (DSS) Interpreter". Intriguing.

Is the system (secretly) accessible to the user? How complex is it in relation to the Strife dialog?

Yes. This was the Eternity TC dialogue system.

It isn't anything like Strife's. You can't make choices or input, you only get to listen to whatever the character has to say. It was developed entirely independently and with absolutely no knowledge that Strife even existed at the time.

It required a special program to compile the scripts. It has not been maintained (the d_dialog module, that is) and therefore does not work at all any more. It was controlled by FraggleScript, and, on the drawing board at least, could execute callbacks into scripts for special effects during the dialog.