Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

Doom The Way id Did: v1.1 Released!

today was a good day, because i got to kill a bunch of hellspawn. the people who worked on DTWiD made today a good day.

With talk of a version 1.1, I just thought I would point out that the invulnerability secret (sector 94) in e3m4 seems to be impossible to trigger.

I'm not 100% positive, but I think that one's been reported and taken care of in the internal working copy. Thanks for your report, though! If you run into any other issues, don't hesitate to post :)

There's two rocket launchers on e2m7. id levels never had more than one of a weapon (at least on skill 4) in the first three episodes, although they sometimes had two of the same weapon on one level in episode 4.

As many others in this thread, i have to say i had a lot of fun playing through this wad. I liked the alpha a lot, and the final version is even better. This is really the wad type for me, because the themes and styles i enjoy most in doom are those of the original games.

Episode 1, as expected, isn't very memorable after only one playthrough, but that is probably due to it's theme being less exciting than the later ones. The boss level, of course, stands out, although i still think i liked that one old e1m8 candidate that never made it into any version of the wad a bit more... the one that had a remix of e1m8's music, you went through some tight corridors, than got teleported to a more hellified version, than went through a big computer hall and fought like four barons in a burning star shaped room.
Yeah.
The other level that i remember is e1m4, but that is because i spent a lot of time in it hunting all the secrets, mistakingly thinking i was in e1m3 for some reason. When i realised my mistake i had to make a pistol-start detour into e1m9, which was also pretty good.

Episode 2 had many good moments, and overall just starting from e2m1 to the very end of the wad i was regularly surprised by many simple, yet awesome design ideas here and there, ranging from a room to a concept of the whole level.
I liked the slightly different direction that ep2 took, even though one could argue it wasn't TOO doomish.

Spoiler

What with the overgrown first levels (it felt like a deliberate design, unlike the original's random vines here and there), the insane asylum level, and all the implied mining going on.

With this direction it kinda felt like ep2 had more thought put into it than any episode from the original, the levels were more specific etc.etc. Not generic enough in other words. :D But i only see this now, and it isn't a bad thing anyway.
Though i kinda miss that one level from the alpha that had all those fake secret doors that opened and only had walls behind them. And the e2m2 from the alpha, the cooling towers. I guess the alpha is good to have around alongside the final release for some of it's levels too. Too bad there are repeats between them, but what can you do.

Episode three too felt well-realised, i especially liked e3m2 and e3m7, though i was a bit annoyed about having to play e3m4 and e3m6 AGAIN, because i had enough of both of them (i think i played through them when they were released separately and in the alpha for a second time. And both were slightly annoying by themselves already).

Overall even if i don't remember ALL the levels distinctly like i do the originals, that will certainly change if (when, rather) i play through this again. Though there was enough memorable stuff as it is, and on the whole the wad was very fun. The only criticism i can even think of that i share with other people (i think like one person said this in the thread) is that there are perhaps too many overly dark areas. But then again, maybe there aren't many more than in the original and i'm just used to brighter levels. It didn't hinder my enjoyment of the wad anyways.

P.S. I should be in the credits :D, i still remember a post in the development thread by hellbent where he said that he was inspired by some thread i had made and he kinda rejuvenated the project after that. That thread was probably dumb, but who knows, maybe without it this project would not have been rejuvenated at that point and would fade into oblivion? =0

DTWID seems to borrow from doom3's story, if we consider the lunatic asylum and the other maps called excavation site or teleport facility.

ep.1 is pure tech base, with that candelabra in e1m7 hinting to hell taking over reality, ep.2 is already a mix of both, with vines and blood all over concrete and steel, and ep.3 classic hell in fire and brimstone.

there were more secrets than in the original game, a bit too many for my taste, like 10 in e1m3 or 8 in some ep.2 map (especially as i like finding them all) and cleverly hidden. some maps felt rather big for what was possible on a 386/486 computer.

Pirx said:

there were more secrets than in the original game, a bit too many for my taste, like 10 in e1m3 or 8 in some ep.2 map (especially as i like finding them all) and cleverly hidden.

A bunch of Doom's original maps had a ton of secrets, actually, so some of ours are the same way. I just did a quick check and found that Doom's original e1m5 had 9 secrets. e1m3 had 7. e2m4, e2m5, and e3m5 had 10 each. e2m2 had 12. :P

esselfortium said:

e2m2 had 12. :P

E4M3 had 22 :D

Cell said:

I always thought that was interesting. I assume it was intentional to do that so that one secret would be worth more than the others.

Marcaek said:

nice try :P

I know that technically there were 3 + 2 false + 17 additional secrets :D

[EDIT]I've just scored 1024 forum posts!!!![/EDIT]

Cell said:

I always find it funny playing that level on ZDoom.

*run up stairs*
dingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingding

Razen said:

I always find it funny playing that level on ZDoom.

*run up stairs*
dingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingding

That is! Or the multisecret sector columns on Plutonia MAP15 :D

That is! Or the multisecret sector columns on Plutonia MAP15 :D

Haha yeah. I still have yet to finish Plutonia though :( maybe someday

Anyway, I played through the first 2 episodes, and I absolutely love it so far. The level design is familiar yet at the same time unique.

Most of episode 2 really (really) impressed me. There was something about the levels that I find is missing in most modern maps, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just the roughness of everything .. I'd love to see more maps like this in the future. Maybe D2TWID?

Razen said:

Maybe it's just the roughness of everything .. I'd love to see more maps like this in the future. Maybe D2TWID?

UDTWID! :D
Just kidding. If the authors of DTWID say that we should follow the chronology, D2 follows eleven months later, and UD does seventeen months later from now.

...And then of course...

FDTWiD

The only downside being that iD didn't do either Plutonia or Evilution.

But then again, we would be talking about how iD would have done them if iD had actually done them.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Fucking 5 star release.

By the way:

Just played through this over the last 2 weeks. First of all, the project definitely lives up to its name. I've seen a lot of "classic" maps that intend to imitate the original design elements, but none have ever so meticulously analyzed every last element of the game. It's obvious that very intense and thorough research was put into recreating the look, the play and the feel of the original maps.

Honestly, it made for a somewhat odd experience. The flow of the game was so familiar, I constantly had the feeling I'd "been here before" despite never having seen the maps until now. It was a bit like one of those paranoia/thriller movies, where somebody randomly knows a bunch of skills they've never practiced or is able to correctly navigate a place they've never been, just based on what "comes naturally" or "feels right." (Then they find out they were a secret experiment all along!)

Overall, I thought everything was quite well done. Layouts are both true to the classics and good in their own right. Gameplay was challenging but not frustrating or impossible. Secrets were mostly great, and I liked that I could discover nearly all of them using the same "logic" as I did in id's maps.

It really is as if the original id team existed in an alternate time line and created a totally different game using the exact same design concepts and skills. Now when people ask for inspiration for classic maps, I'll tell them two places to look: the original maps, and these maps.

--------------------

Now, for one slight problem I found. In E3M5, there's a secret that became impossible to get. In the outdoor area with the blue skull key, there's a ledge with a rocket launcher on it (sector 223). This is accesses by walking into the cacodemon firepit (sector 82) that opens up when I go to press the switch to raise the ledge leading to the blue key. The line leading into the cage (line 553) is a W1 teleport to the ledge. The problem is that I picked up the blue key first, causing a number of monsters to teleport into the area. A demon ended up using that W1 teleport to get onto the rocket launcher ledge, rendering the secret inaccessible. I understand it was meant to be accessed only once, as the door that teleports you up to the ledge closes once you jump off the ledge, but I'd suggest making line 553 a WR teleport anyway, because something like this is bound to happen again.

Lüt said:

Honestly, it made for a somewhat odd experience. The flow of the game was so familiar, I constantly had the feeling I'd "been here before" despite never having seen the maps until now.

These two sentences are a proof to me, personally, that we succeeded!
And comig from Lüt? Woot-woot.

Also, I just wanted to say, after MONTHS of procrastinating, pretending I still have time to kill that one last dragon in Skyrim, to run that one last instance in WoW, to watch that one last Starcraft 2 tournament... I have finished my Master Degree Paper! This means that I am no longer occupied by anything apart from my job, which in turns means...

When do we start to work on D2TWID?

a thing i just had in my mind: i`ll keep posting the dtwid alpha gameplay on my youtube channel, also if the final product is released?

And, why (almost) everbody hates my e3m2?

My channel for knowledge: http:/www.youtube.com/wakuwalt7

Well, I've released slightly updated versions of my maps in another thread, except for E3M3. I'd appreciate some non-project related feedback on these if anyone feels like it.

I just played through it (E3M2) again and enjoyed it. A few people have expressed their dislike for it recently, but that hardly translates to "(almost) everybody."

Personally, I find it enjoyably Sandyish. It's not the prettiest map, but it's nice n' open and provides for the episode some much-needed contrast to the previous two episodes in terms of openness. My two cents at least.

walter confalonieri said:

And, why (almost) everbody hates my e3m2?

I wouldn't try to modify the map if I didn't love it.
IIRC nobody on the team disliked the map and I think it's one of the most authentic entries in E3. More authentic than my e3m1 and e3m7, to be frank.

[i]walter confalonieri said:[/i
And, why (almost) everbody hates my e3m2?[/B]

I don't hate it, but I'd like it a lot more if the starting area didn't have the 4 indented start doors so similar to the original e3m3. The e3m4 walkway in the beginning of e3m4 looks a lot like the walkway near the beginning of your e3m2. If you got rid of the gstone walls, that might lower the resemblance. Although I'm not sure these are the kinds of changes that will be made for subsequent versions.