Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

No troll, it's just a fact. I don't know/care why it is, Windows prboom-plus runs way jerkier than Linux prboom-plus does.

I did doombench:

1920x1200x8bit = 90.3 frames per second
800x600x8bit = 264.9 frames per second
640x480x8bit = 408.1 frames per second

1920x1200x32bit = 87.1 frames per second
800x600x32bit = 268.7 frames per second
640x480x32bit = 434.2 frames per second

Super Jamie said:

I did doombench:

1920x1200x8bit = 90.3 frames per second
800x600x8bit = 264.9 frames per second
640x480x8bit = 408.1 frames per second

1920x1200x32bit = 87.1 frames per second
800x600x32bit = 268.7 frames per second
640x480x32bit = 434.2 frames per second

Heh, you have no improvement for 8 bit modes at all.

Pentium DualCore @ 2.5GHz

1600x1200x32 = 58 fps
1600x1200x8 = 138 fps

640x480x32 = 492 fps
640x480x8 = 850 fps

Super Jamie said:

No troll, it's just a fact. I don't know/care why it is, Windows prboom-plus runs way jerkier than Linux prboom-plus does.

As you can see above, I have 2x fps on Windows with much slower CPU. Pentium Dual Core @ 2.5GHz should be about 1.5x slower than i5-2500K @ 3.3Ghz

I guess the difference stems from how efficiently the video drivers/libraries can convert 8-bit indexed graphics to native direct color displays, if 8-bit fullscreen exclusive modes aren't used.

When using direct color (non-indexed) modes, does prBoom+ handle the 8-bit-to-direct-color conversion within its own code, instead of delegating to video drivers/libraries? If so, it just might be that on some platforms it performs slightly better or slightly worse.

For kicks, I once tried to get Mocha Doom to do its own indexed-to-truecolor rendering at the end of each frame using hand-written Java code, without using the BufferedImage.TYPE_INDEXED 8-bit image format (which presumably uses native hardware acceleration when available). The performance was about 80% of using 8-bit images (all in windowed modes, with the desktop remaining at 32-bit). I guess the difference would be much greater with a fullscreen mode, but I still have to implement those ;-)

On the bright side, there is virtually no speed difference between indexed-on-a-direct-color canvas and direct HiColor/TrueColor rendering.

Maes said:

When using direct color (non-indexed) modes, does prBoom+ handle the 8-bit-to-direct-color conversion within its own code, instead of delegating to video drivers/libraries? If so, it just might be that on some platforms it performs slightly better or slightly worse

prboom has bilinear filtering, so it can't just delegate

entryway said:

prboom has bilinear filtering, so it can't just delegate

Even if you disable it completely?

Maes said:

Even if you disable it completely?

What is sense to use 32bit mode without filtering if 8bit is the same, but 2x faster?

entryway said:

What is sense to use 32bit mode without filtering if 8bit is the same, but 2x-3x faster?

Lack of native support for any kind of 8-bit/indexed display modes, for example (e.g. Android platform does not have a native 8-bit display mode, nor library facilities to perform any required conversions).

Depending on the platform, you may have no alternatives, and even no speed difference, depending on how it's implemented.

Maes said:

Lack of native support for any kind of 8-bit/indexed display modes, for example (e.g. Android platform does not have a native 8-bit display mode, nor library facilities to perform any required conversions).

SDL will 'fix' it. (see benchmarks by Super Jamie)

P.S. SDL 1.3 ALWAYS uses 32bit mode (see SDL/SDL_compat.c)

Super Jamie said:

Using what hardware? I'm on i5-2500K (3.3Ghz) w/ HD6870 but I recall Windows software mode always performs like crap compared to Linux.

Athlon II X4 630. It's very anemic compared to your i5, but as entryway mentioned, it's quite the opposite situation, due to SDL 1.3.

emh sorry for the silly question, but was the prboom launcher (the popup which allowed u to chose which wad to start and which iwad to use tob e clear) removed in 2.5.1.4? or which file did i miss or ruin in the copy process? a special setting I've selected that forces the game to always start under doom2.wad only maybe?

ps: yea like I said it's a silly question I guess.
wanted to update the version since im in a quit time, and restarting with something slight different wont matter much

you should be able to go into prboom-plus.cfg

go here
# Prboom-plus launcher settings
launcher_enable 0 <<<<<

Set that 0 to a 1 then save.

Searcher said:

you should be able to go into prboom-plus.cfg

go here
# Prboom-plus launcher settings
launcher_enable 0 <<<<<

Set that 0 to a 1 then save.

worked, thanks a lot!

btw there was a guide to use the new recording-feature somewhere on the forum, and I can't find it any longer.. anyone knows where it was on the forum?

I wish the coloured hud numbers for health and armor had an orange level because I'm too used to the whole idea of 25% red, 50% orange, 75% yellow & 100% green, it feels weird that green takes a whole 50% along with 25% for yellow and 25% for red.

It is possible to fix DSSECRET position in the sound table? I want to replace the dogs sounds with something else, but because of this:

SOUNDS.H
sfx_skeatk,
  sfx_radio,

//e6y
  sfx_secret, <===============

#ifdef DOGS
  /* killough 11/98: dog sounds */
  sfx_dgsit,
  sfx_dgatk,
  sfx_dgact,
i can't replace it properly: in Prboom-Plus the sound #109 refers to DSSECRET but in MBF and Eternity there is DSDGSIT sound.

How do I get OPL emulation working under 64-bit Linux?

I have installed madplayer and dumb (32- and 64-bit versions) but still get no sound. Do I need to install mad/dumb devel packages and recompile?

Super Jamie said:

How do I get OPL emulation working under 64-bit Linux?

I have installed madplayer and dumb (32- and 64-bit versions) but still get no sound. Do I need to install mad/dumb devel packages and recompile?

If you're compiling from source, you need to run configure again (and then recompile) after getting the libs+dev packages.

That being said, if OPL is what you want, you shouldn't need madplayer or dumb for that.

What happens when you try to select midi player OPL?

Well, don't I look silly. It used to freeze on "Exp_RegisterSongEx" on Fedora 14 but I just updated to F16 and now it works fine with no additonal libs required. Thanks!

Is there a setting that disables archviles from resurrecting enemies when the space is already taken up by either the player or another enemy? Causing the monsters to get stuck into eachother.

DeathevokatioN said:

Is there a setting that disables archviles from resurrecting enemies when the space is already taken up by either the player or another enemy? Causing the monsters to get stuck into eachother.

The option "Archviles resurrect invincible ghosts" controls both what it says and what you describe; it is forced to YES if playing with compatibility less than Boom, else if compatibility level is below MBF (mostly Boom), it's forced to NO, otherwise your setting is honored. It can be configured in Options -> Setup -> Doom Compatibility.

I'm having an issue with PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 test, or perhaps I should say, since PrBoom+ 2.5.1.2. When I record a demo in PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 test, it ends up in the PrBoom+ 2.5.1.2 folder. I've tried an old PrBoom+ 2.5.1.2 test install as well, and it ends up in the normal PrBoom+ 2.5.1.2 folder.

Unrelated, but that new health bar feature is pretty neat. It certainly makes getting a sense for how much damage you're doing more userfriendly.

Phml said:

When I record a demo in PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 test, it ends up in the PrBoom+ 2.5.1.2 folder.

Incorrect «Start in:» folder in shortcut's properties or wrong current directory in .bat?

Yes. Thank you. I knew it had to be something dumb, but well, I'm dumb when it comes to that stuff.

It's simpler just to overwrite the old exe with the new one, keeping your cfg files and the same file locations.

tempun said:

"Archviles resurrect invincible ghosts"

Talking of that, it would make sense to rename this option to "Archviles resurrect ghosts", as it's misinformation as it stands.

Having a minor problem with GlBoom+ 2.5.1.2 and UAC Ultra: in Map11, the borders used for the sky show up, like this. In GlBoom+ 2.5.0.8, the sky is rendered as you'd expect and no borders are shown. I made sure my graphic settings in the .cfg file were identical between 2.5.0.8 and 2.5.1.2, but I haven't checked 2.5.0.9, 2.5.1.0 or 2.5.1.1.

tempun said:

The option "Archviles resurrect invincible ghosts" controls both what it says and what you describe; it is forced to YES if playing with compatibility less than Boom, else if compatibility level is below MBF (mostly Boom), it's forced to NO, otherwise your setting is honored. It can be configured in Options -> Setup -> Doom Compatibility.

Thanks! :)

I wan't to record a demo with the -recordfromto -skipsec function, but the batch file with the -recordfromto parameter won't start when I launch it. My screen just blinks and I can see the dialog window flashing by and that's about it. glboom+ won't even start.

This is what I typed the first time and it did indeed record a demo:

glboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file startanarena1402.wad -warp 1 -skill 4 -record demo

In a new .bat file that doesn't work, I typed:

glboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file startanarena1402.wad -recordfromto demo nydemo -skipsec 900

I know I forgot the -complevel parameter, but I've tried implementing that aswell with the same result.

Help please :)

Another question concerning TAS:
Is it possible to add a backwards frame advance feature and/or savestates? Would be cool to make prboom-plus remember the state at which you joined the game (or at which you pressed some hotkey), and be able to rewind back to that spot quickly without having engine to recalculate everything up to that point.

I noticed 2.5.1.4.test, tried out the health bar over monster feature. That's actually pretty cool. Reminds me of Borderlands, except that also had numbers that went with it.

However I discovered an issue: I cannot change resolution from the menu.

If I force it to 1920x1080 by the config, that will work, and I will be able to change resolutions. But if I put it back on 640x480, it gets stuck there.

Also, Fluidsynth appears to do exactly the same thing as OPL2.