Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LigH

Custom texture requests?

It was probably buried under a heap of screenshots in the other thread, so here a separate offer:

Does anyone need custom textures in the original format (no hi-res true-color pack, but original palette images)?

Just tell me in detail:

• Dimensions (width:height)
  • required tileability (horiz. / vert.)
  • preferred PLAYPAL color index ranges (or generic color descriptions)
  • the expected look { like texture XYZ in ABC.WAD | like on this photo | verbose description ... }
No promises. No guarantee. But maybe just what you need?

Here are some first samples to explain what I mean.

I'm currently working on a space map...I was wondering if you had any space sky textures...I'm not sure on the details of the sky texture though.

I agree, those are really nice! Since you offered, I was wondering if you could make me a set of classic-looking textures. I am working on a mapset called Unholy Nights, not sure if you saw the thread. Anyway some specifics I have right now are:

-A METAL2 variant with a voltage sign where the four metal plates meet(so midway between the bottom and top). I believe there is a patch for the voltage sign in DOOM or DOOM2.wad, so it shouldn't be too hard.

-A new brownish/black TEKWALL type texture. You know, with a bunch of circuits and tech. Preferably 128x128.

I'll probably think of more later but that's it for now, also, can I use some of your sample textures? They really are nice. Oh, and you'll get full credit in my wad if I am allowed to use them :)

@ MasterofJKD:

Skies are not so trivial, I believe they only cover each 90 degree of the sky, so they will repeat 4 times, and repetitive constellations are not very credible... I'll try and see.
__

@ Olympus:

My textures will be Public Domain (except for possible exclusive orders). So go ahead, use them.

I'll be away during the next days, then I may have a few more days available.

LigH said:

@ MasterofJKD:

Skies are not so trivial, I believe they only cover each 90 degree of the sky, so they will repeat 4 times, and repetitive constellations are not very credible... I'll try and see.
__

@ Olympus:

My textures will be Public Domain (except for possible exclusive orders). So go ahead, use them.

I'll be away during the next days, then I may have a few more days available.

You can make a 1024-wide sky that wraps around completely without repeating, even in vanilla Doom2.exe, as long as you separate it into four 256x128 patches. This is how some of Final Doom's skies are done.

You can also do a 512-wide sky in the same way.

I just wanted to point out LigH that those bricks will cause problems with heights and alignments because the number of vertical bricks is 10 which makes each brick 25.6mp (approx). The texture won't conform well to the usual units used in Doom, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 - usual brick is 16 mp in height. I would suggest making the bricks either 32mp in height with 8 vertical bricks or 16mp either way the texture might have to be scaled as well, Because even at 16mp in height those bricks will be fairly large.

@ Pottus:

Certainly a valid point. Updated; but I have some limits, optimizing both horizontal and vertical values may not work easily.

Metal wall — slight variations of brushed-metal walls; probably useful for (not so very) hidden doors?

Can be blended against each other to make transitions; can add dirt, rust, bullet holes...

Hell yeah. I have a few ideas.

First of all, I would love to have a few more textures in the same vein as W102_1/2! More randomly spaced rips, more blood on everything, more recognizable organs hanging out, maybe shadows of faces or hands pushing out behind the skin. Just gnarly shit. More like W103_1/2 would be cool too. (btw, are the left and right edges of those textures incomplete?)

Next, can you do a few more large marble faces? (MWALL4_1, etc) None of the three current faces are monsters in the game, but it would be cool to have a spider mastermind marble face for one.

As for other faces, how about:
*Grim reaper looking "face" where all you can see is the hood and the eyes, maybe a scythe in the background.
*Evil wizard
*Wolf faces in various stages of decay, maybe one with skin, one without skin, and one just a skeleton.
*Human skull? It might look cool but maybe it doesn't fit the theme of a gnarly monster.

It would also be sick to have MWALL4_1 that is just the goat face, including the rest of the horns, on marble, without the pentagram.

Anyway, pick the ones you like the best :)

Finally, lowest priority, but it would be cool to have more marble smaller face textures, such as WALL30_3. Maybe a goat or wolf face? Or a human skull with a pike through it?

What is the license for your textures?

Cheers!!

I'm rather a technician than an artist, so probably not much from me related to W102/W103 and different wolf skull stages.

MWALL and WALL30 based patches should be possible if I can make a basic marble wall without any specials on it, and adapt from this base.

I have a really interesting suggestion for you that I have not really seen in Doom yet. When working on 45 Degree angles linedef length usually ends up being 45, 68, 91, 136, 181, 226 which of course requires more alignment work. I don't know how long this would take you but could try to re-work the original Doom2 textures to these dimensions.

@ MasterofJKD:

STARSKY 1..4 as additional variant
__

@ foul_owl:

MARBLE - big ones for now.

Sources:

• Les Edwards - The Changeling Skull
  • "Prowling Wolf" door poster
  • wolfskull1 ("Wolfie's Tricks & Treats" Tripod website)
  • arkive.org / Paal Hermansen
  • eScienceNews - Thylacine by Marie attard

Damn, those are sweet! Thanks!!

Two things: 1. They should look more a bit more "pixelarty", if that makes sense.
2. They need to look more embossed or carved into the wall, take a look at MWALL5_1 for what I mean.

For the Spider Mastermind, I was thinking the whole tile would be just a closeup of its face and brain, like an MWALL5_1.

Also, these would suit your texturing style more:
How about some various marble textures? Maybe different colors in the way you have done for metal and rock and such. Maybe some tiles of different colors and sizes, like DEM1_6 or DEM1_5? Maybe some more like WALL48_1 or MWALL1_1.

I have been making some marble textures myself, which I will post here for folks to use at some point. (When I have something I am happy with!)

You said are a technician rather than an artist, what did you mean by that?

Also, seconded Pottus's idea.

I can use existing images to blend them against each other with different filters. Also I can create some abstract textures. But I can't paint new content manually.

1.: If I can find a set of filters which make it look like what you mean, I can use it. But I won't draw an image pixel-by-pixel.

2.: Same here. If I don't have a 3D model, I can't make an embossed look out of a 2D picture. I am no magician, I can only use what I have.

3.: The Mastermind doesn't provide a good sprite to get a closeup from. It may be hard to cut the brain from the spider with a credible and satisfying result.

Well all your stuff looks really good. You should try painting new content!

Hmm, I wonder if we could find a high res 3d model of a wolf somewhere (but it would have to be GPLd) and use that

Good point about the Spider mastermind. Maybe just a SUPER close up of just the face, that would be sufficiently terrifying lol. Could be good for a path leading up to a roof with like five of em . Maybe scale the sprites with hqx if needed.

Do you do programming at all?

Updated marble faces - more "carving-in", a little more embossing, a little more pixel noise. And a Spider Mastermind closeup.

I am "graduated computer scientist", so yes, I can do some programming. Just not in C++.

Do you think you have textures and flats for kitchen utilities, such as fridges/freezers, sinks, ovens, and stove tops (the last one would obviously be a flat/floor texture)?

There is a kitchen somewhere in my map, as you probably figured out.

I find it slightly annoying to first discover if someone means (regarding the XWE categories) a sprite, a patch, or a texture (being a logical area made of one or several patches)... took me a few minutes to find GRAYBIG (with A, not E) being a texture composed of the patches 2× WALL00_1 (being 1/2 of the texture) and WALL00_2 (being the separate stain on it).

I have no clue about texturing techniques and how much mappers may be forced to use textures or not; if you can use patches directly to texture walls, simply use WALL00_1. If you have to use textures, adapt one from GRAYBIG which does not add the stain onto the doubled wall.

Technician said:

Is there any chance I can get GREYBIG without the water stain? Or is there one available?

only if you promise to release what you make with it

peach freak said:

Do you think you have textures and flats for kitchen utilities, such as fridges/freezers, sinks, ovens, and stove tops (the last one would obviously be a flat/floor texture)?

There is a kitchen somewhere in my map, as you probably figured out.

There are a few of them.

It is loosely based on my own kitchen. Or what it may have been "optimally". Note the "CERAN field"...
__

Since I noticed how small the player is, I believe I should shrink my wall textures. Especially the brick wall samples. They are indeed best made as 128².

I'll be honest, I didn't think that many of these textures would look right in game. So I just picked a handful at random and stuck them on the walls of a square room. I was pleasantly surprised. In the right situation, I now think that they could work quite well.

http://i.imgur.com/JQYWy.png

Screenshot in GZDoom, resized to avoid breaking the forum.

Well, the more exactly you tell me how they should look, the better I will know if and how I could make some you may find useful...

The left and right ones were in fact planned as floors. Especially the right one is part of a set for effects with different height levels, maybe even temporal floor texture changes ("blood tides" across floors ... what a challenge, map effect makers!), or distances to blood sources.

GZDoom has the "advantage" of OpenGL features like truecolor rendering, antialiasing, bilinear texture filtering, etc.; the appearance in "vanilla" renderers will be different, that will be the challenge. Especially regarding the color changes due to raycasting (darkening in the distance, which also shifts color hues often).

LigH said:

Updated marble faces - more "carving-in", a little more embossing, a little more pixel noise. And a Spider Mastermind closeup.

I am "graduated computer scientist", so yes, I can do some programming. Just not in C++.

Have you written any programs to procedurally generate textures at all? That might be cool.

Also, I thought of some more ideas.

1. Marble of different colors, same way you did the brick of different colors

2. Doors of different widths, specifically 48, 80, 96, and 112. See SPCDOOR2 for example. It would also be cool to have doors that look similar to SPCDOOR2 but are a bit different.

3. Marble doors. Not sure how to show that a slab of marble is a door, but I think this is needed.

Those kitchen textures look great!