Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VinceDSS

Final DOOM demos [-complevel 4]

Hell yeah, that was disgustingly good, Vile. How much time did this map take you? It seems less frustrating than MAP24 but I can't that precisely.

Yes, demo pack is all done now. Anyone feels like writing a text file for it? :D

1ntru said:

Hell yeah, that was disgustingly good, Vile. How much time did this map take you? It seems less frustrating than MAP24 but I can't that precisely.

Yes, demo pack is all done now. Anyone feels like writing a text file for it? :D

It took a few hours of trying before I was even within a second of Radek's time and it took several hours more to get that run. It was one of those runs where no matter how far ahead I felt, the final time told me otherwise. I feel like doing some more casual stuff after one of those grinders.

Beautiful, I loved the 1 bullet left at the end. After spending over six hours on this without even equaling the record, I must say I'm glad to see this done. So what's next guys? :P

NoobBait said:

Beautiful, I loved the 1 bullet left at the end. After spending over six hours on this without even equaling the record, I must say I'm glad to see this done. So what's next guys? :P

You know, some Plutonia records shouldn't be astoundingly hard to beat :)

Vile said:

TNT map01 UV Max in 0:45
Recorded in Prboom-Plus 2.5.1.1 -complevel 4

I used complevel 4; not sure what it does, but the thread said to do so. I recorded using doom2 as the main wad and adding tnt.wad as a pwad when starting prboom. I hope that was correct/acceptable.

crazy speed.

from the text file:

It seems simple, but a lot of subtle details need to go right to get a good time.

don't you just hate it when a single berserk punch kills a demon, and then an imp needs 3 punches and fights back all the time?

Pirx said:

don't you just hate it when a single berserk punch kills a demon, and then an imp needs 3 punches and fights back all the time?

this is what made me stop trying, heh. my blood boils when an imp survives a berserk punch AND the hit pushes him outside of your reach, so your next swing misses while he fireballs you. argh!

Yes, I do agree on that since berzerk damage is really swingy. I stuck to berzerk-punching the two imps by the blue armor and the three imps outside, as well as whatever was in my way en route. If I fell too far behind because the berzerk damage didn't come through, then I usually just start over to save a bit of time in the session. It would be fine in a movie to do it for fun if there's a ton of demons in the way but optimizing down to seconds in a map01 max like that is not where I want to rely on the fist too much.

I may have less patience for demo-recording nowadays, but given some of the stuff I have done over the years, I am still not above torturing myself if necessary. :P

1ntru said:

Anyone feels like writing a text file for it? :D

if no1 minds, I'd like to take it in charge
I'll follow the teamplate used for other demopacks, so if anyone among ancalagon, rizera, j4rio, vile, memfis, noobBait, would like (and please, i'd welcome you to do so) to add a few lines as comment for the wad, the runs, his demo( s) and other aspects, let me know/send the txt by PM.

ps: in some of the demopack txt files, there were also some lines for each map, in case you feel like spending some extra minutes for it ;o

Post here the template you chose so I'll fill up my parts.

Also considering that every demo is already at dsda, it would make some sense to actually "re-notify" them (they all show up again next update) or I doubt anybody would notice.

sending now memfis, j4rio, rizera, kyle, vile, ancalagon the teamplate and the unfinished txt. please check your PMs

-------------
oh btw!

TNT.wad | evilution
map13 uv-max 04:20*

like written in the txt, this was scored 20 days ago, but I haven't played at all since then. So, for now, wont replay the level. Especially cus now the demoset is completed, thanks again vile! :p

edit: edited the txt

ev13-420.zip

Plutonia map31 UV Pacifist in 2:32

It's a random act of... non-violence. Just something I felt like trying again.

pp31-232.zip

1ntru said:

You know, some Plutonia records shouldn't be astoundingly hard to beat :)

I'm noticing that myself. I'm going to start looking at my old records.

Vile said:

Plutonia map31 UV Pacifist in 2:32

It's a random act of... non-violence. Just something I felt like trying again.

i watched that one 3 times. getting away after the mancubi and cybers trapped you was pretty miraculous.

Plutonia Map 28 UV Max in 5:58
Old demo, recorded this before Christmas. Didn't take me too long to get the 6 minute mark, beating j4rio's time was possible on many occasions if not for my stupidity at screwing up the final part :( Will probably improve this at a later date unless someone improves the record time

pl-28-558.zip

wow pretty nice run, and geez, 95% of plutonia maps looks totally new to me. Still dont know why I had never really played anything from final doom.

PLUTONIA.wad | the plutonia experiment
map12 uv-max 04:21*

awesome map, even if pretty tough to run
I guess it's just me being plain bad :)

happy new year!

pl12-421.zip

Plutonia map32 UV Max in 3:06

I did try to get this below 3 minutes but I'm burned out on this map for now. Enjoy anyway!

pl32-306.zip

Amazing stuff! Glad to see you back! Does that mean we're going to see a new 30nm? :p

I was wondering if any of you guys were going to record on vanilla to get credited in compet-n? Because that's a pity not to have 'official' records imo.

Wonderful demo.

Regarding the two-shotting of the cybers: I'm sure you're not imagining the difference in the likelihood of killing the blue-key cyber in two shots. It starts right on the boundary between two blocks of the blockamp, whereas the red-key cybers are in the middle (or close to the middle) of blocks, and therefore start off ideally placed to be two-shotted. You should be able to increase your chances with the blue-key cyber by coaxing it to the side of the corridor - I imagine you have been instinctively doing that, by dint of experience, and of course it is hard to control its movements with much precision.

(explanation)

I would be recording in vanilla doom if I was able. I tried running it on Dosbox but the mouse sensitivity is strange, like it has a ton of acceleration. I didn't feel like fighting with it so I just wanted to do some demos in PrBoom for fun. I probably wouldn't do a new 30nm since I would want to be able to record it in vanilla, but something like a random max here and there doesn't bug me.

Vile said:

I would be recording in vanilla doom if I was able. I tried running it on Dosbox but the mouse sensitivity is strange, like it has a ton of acceleration. I didn't feel like fighting with it so I just wanted to do some demos in PrBoom for fun. I probably wouldn't do a new 30nm since I would want to be able to record it in vanilla, but something like a random max here and there doesn't bug me.

I use markc_windows7_mousefix and then "Enhance pointer precision" turned off. It's not even funny what name they use for the mouse acceleration.

Vile said:

Don't use dosbox in any case. At least that's what my experience with it made me conclude. It's screwy and laggy and mouse 'feeling' isn't even close to what playing the game on Win98 feels like.
Or maybe my computer isn't powerful enough. Or maybe I can't configure sh** ^^

Anyway, the best advice I can give you is to find an old and dusty computer with Windows 98 that can be used for this. I bought one for 30€ (maybe a bit more?) and I'm glad I did! With a CRT screen, it's a real pleasure to play in that 320 resolution ;)

I can try messing with it again but I probably won't go as far as finding a Windows 98 machine. At that point it would feel like more work than fun to me, one of the reasons I stopped recording. I knew going into these recordings that they wouldn't be Compet-N demos but that doesn't concern me as much nowadays. I'm just happy to play with sound again (a lot of demos from later Compet-N entries were recorded on Win2K without sound, not as much fun lol).

I actually have that markc mouse fix but I'll see if I can get it to work this time.

I don't mind that you used prboom and I don't think the previous pl32 max record holder minds either. It's good to see you old guys playing again and having fun. :)

concerning the tnt demopack, just rizera's (and ive to finish mine too actually) txt is missing ;o
and the e-mails of a few authors, check again your inbox

Oh, silly me! I'm so slothful and I always forget/procrastinate things. I've now sent all mine. Really happy with what we managed to accomplish (((:

Vile said:

Sounds like my issue with starting a map, as I just spin in a random direction sometimes and I won't even *touch* the mouse.