Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

Submerge said:

I DO know that I bought the shareware disk the first time I ever saw the game, It was mesmerizing......

You were ripped off! Shareware is free :)

i have finished a older 486 system and finally got win3.11 installed onto. damn it brings back the old memories of dooming it up in my mom's basement. only it lacks a sound card. Anyway it is doom at it original best, buggy yet fun. also i forgot how basic win3.11 is, i remeber it being so cool and have many features. now i find it bland but it is fun to kick back and play with a "classic" system, even better with the old classic games. also i have a mouse from the soviet union?

also i have a mouse from the soviet union?

Oh my god, I would kill for one of those things. They're so incredibly funny.

I'm too young to die. It was on SNES doom (my first doom) and I was like 7.

Ultra Violence with godmode and lightamp.

Heh. Ditto.

By the time I first played Doom, I had already seen my dad and several of my frinds play it, so I knew what I was getting into.

I played nightmare the first few days, when I couldn't get past e1m3 I switched to UV and played through ep1 on that skill. To this day I haven't completed e1m3 nightmare with keyboard only.

By the time I first played Doom, I had already seen my dad and several of my frinds play it

Now that just doesn't sound right.......

Hurt Me Plenty was the way I went. It's also what I play most megawads with for the first time so I can get better acquanted with the level design before I take on the full challenge, but I kinda suck anyway. I still play keyboard only.

Based on the results of this poll, I think we all agree that "Hey, Not Too Rough" is a completely pointless skill level, as it's just "I'm Too Young To Die" without the double ammo.

I played Doom the first time at my older brother's flat. He started the game for me (I was too paralyzed in awe to do anything like that myself, heh) on I'm too young to die, but after playing for about a minute I felt that there wasn't enough opposition so I switched to Hurt me Plenty, yay!

Based on the results of this poll, I think we all agree that "Hey, Not Too Rough" is a completely pointless skill level, as it's just "I'm Too Young To Die" without the double ammo.

And without 50% damage reduction

i chose "i'm too young to die" and after i'm done with doom shareware,i switched to "hurt me planty"

like dr_st said. "hey,not too rough" seems to be pointless.later id made quake with 4 skill levels:easy,normal,hard and nightmare.

By the time I first played Doom, I had already seen my dad and several of my frinds play it

Now that just doesn't sound right.......

WHAT?

He wouldn't let me play!

First time I tried Doom, I was 11, so I probably tried either skill 1 or 2. More than likely it was #1. I can't remember now.

When I first installed shareware Doom (ver. 1.0) on our old 486, something went haywire in the computer that day and my dad blamed it on Doom. I was 11 at the time too so I have no idea what actually happened. I had to wait a whole year with only Wolfenstein, Lethal Tender and some catacomb games to suffice my 3D FPS craze before he let me reinstall it.

Then one time he noticed that I was using version 1.666 and threatened to get rid of it, but my addiction brought forth such a heated argument that I got to keep it. 7 years later I'm glad I did! Before music became a part of my life, Doom was what got me through the hard times. If I was pissed off from something earlier in the day, I'd just take it out on some imps and demons. And then there was my first time playing Doom while high... That's one I'll never forget!

Back in October 94, I was in 2nd grade and got a new computer. With the computer came a shareware pack that included Doom. My parents forbid me to play it but on that New Years' a friend of my parents asked what it was about, so naturally my parents were like "Yeah play it!"

Since I had no idea what I was doing, I just pressed enter a bunch of times, landing on the default setting (Hurt Me Plenty), so that's what I played. I did make it to E1M7 before dying, though. Actually, I got surrounded by imps and was taken down to 4% health and quit before dying cause I was so scared (hey, I was eight, cut me some slack). Not too bad for a first attempt, though.

Ultra Violence with godmode and lightamp.

ditto, minus liteamp and with idfa cos I couldn't get enough of teh plasma gun (don't like it now)

I don't know, I couldn't read back then so I it took me long enough to figure out how to get the game started.

What was the first version of Doom you ever, I mean ever, played?

Doom 1 shareware, just like 99.99% of the rest of the planet.

Interesting topic, though.

No idea. It was the first time I used a computer so how would I know what version it was :P

In order : Doom Registered, Doom Shareware for Linux, Heretic, Doom 2, Hexen, Ultimate Doom.