Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Brutal Doom version 18a

@Sergeant_Mark_IV

Can you kindly explain how the shotgun reloading should work?
I have an idea on how to change it, but I want to know the original project.
John

whatever was altered about monster behavior near cliffs can screw up teleport closets. most of my monster teleport closets are monsters on a 32px platform who get lowered when they need to teleport. i don't know if it's just the imp/demon ability to jump now (which i also don't especially like) or that monsters aren't stopped by cliffs anymore, but whatever it is can break that.

i would also like to second getting rid of the screen flashing red when you aren't actively taking damage. it's sort of like how the game beeps nonstop in zelda when you're under three hearts or whatever. it seems unnecessary after the first few beeps/flashes, and it makes me think i'm taking damage the whole time.

all that aside, this is indeed some pretty neat work you've done here.

I love this mod! It's like I'm playing Doom for the first time again. I can't even imagine the game without it.

I do have one question: Is there any way to get the Skulltag railgun, or has it been cut out? I've seen it used in videos of previous versions.

Tango said:

whatever was altered about monster behavior near cliffs can screw up teleport closets. most of my monster teleport closets are monsters on a 32px platform who get lowered when they need to teleport. i don't know if it's just the imp/demon ability to jump now (which i also don't especially like) or that monsters aren't stopped by cliffs anymore, but whatever it is can break that.

The monsters can drop off of areas up to 32 units and climb up to 24 for most while the spectres have this set to 48 on both climbing and descending.

This is one thing I always edit back because it fucks with some PWADs and Oblige maps.

Edit: Demons have it on 32, spectres 48

Hello,
what about this?
When you use the alternate fire the minigun is mounted on a mini-stand and it starts to rotate. You cannot move, but your fire is more accurate.
John

I found another bug sergeant. If you manage to land on a marine who is tied down, and you kick him, he dissapears. Sound plays of him getting released, but he is no where to be seen.

Killamangiro91 said:

It's not working for some reason?
I'm using Gzdoom and dragging the .zip over it but it just loads normally.

Unpack the zip, then drag the unpacked file onto the .exe

Rambosee said:

Unpack the zip, then drag the unpacked file onto the .exe

Thanks, worked. But that's weird. All my other mods worked with just dropping the .zip

Rambosee said:

I found another bug sergeant. If you manage to land on a marine who is tied down, and you kick him, he dissapears. Sound plays of him getting released, but he is no where to be seen.

Thanks for reporting.

I hope its not too late for some more feedback about the mod:

I am REALLY enjoying it so far, but there is one big issue I have with it: Why did you have to beef up the cyberdemon and the spidermastermind so much? They were already difficult in the vanilla version, and now they are so overpowered that whenever I come across them I typically just cheat my way past them without shame or guilt because they are so powerful now that doing so doesn't even feel like cheating.

I mean the cyberdemon can now readjust his aim after his shot and fire more then just 3 rockets at a time making him WAY more dangerous then before, and the Spidermastermind's super-chaingun is now less of a machine gun and more of a auto-cannon that can tear you into shreds almost instantly after it targets you. Its a joke.

I do love the fact that the cyberdemon can now stomp shit to death (I saw an amusing sight where a cyberdemon stomped a hellknight to death causing it to explode) but I think the rest should be reverted back to the way it was before. Or at the very least, make them less overpowered.

Hello all,
I've experimented a bit about the shotgun and plasma reloading mechanism. Now it works like so.
1)The shotgun fires ShotgunAmmo
2)The shutgun contains a maximum if 6 ShotgunAmmo
3)Every time you load a ShotgunAmmo a Shell is removed from your inventory
4)The reloading process ends if:
- You have 6 ShotgunAmmo loaded
- Or, you have finished the Shell
- Or, you press Fire and fire the just inserted ShotgunAmmo

As to the plasma rifle:
1)Uses 1 PlasmaAmmo x shot
2)Contains a maximum of 30 PlasmaAmmo
3)If it contains less than 30 PlasmaAmmo, a PlasmaCell can be loaded, charging it to 30. If the original PlasmaAmmo was more than zero, it is wasted (is is contained in the old PlasmaCell, which is thrown away)
4)The original Cell gives you 1 PlasmaCell, and the CellPack 5 PlasmaCell

The HUD now display the ammo loaded in the weapon.

http://uploadingit.com/file/1vwj3p6h8dmmrlon/brutal.pk3

Is it worth to spend time going on with this?
Let me know.
John

hardcore_gamer said:

I hope its not too late for some more feedback about the mod:

I am REALLY enjoying it so far, but there is one big issue I have with it: Why did you have to beef up the cyberdemon and the spidermastermind so much? They were already difficult in the vanilla version, and now they are so overpowered that whenever I come across them I typically just cheat my way past them without shame or guilt because they are so powerful now that doing so doesn't even feel like cheating.

I mean the cyberdemon can now readjust his aim after his shot and fire more then just 3 rockets at a time making him WAY more dangerous then before, and the Spidermastermind's super-chaingun is now less of a machine gun and more of a auto-cannon that can tear you into shreds almost instantly after it targets you. Its a joke.

I do love the fact that the cyberdemon can now stomp shit to death (I saw an amusing sight where a cyberdemon stomped a hellknight to death causing it to explode) but I think the rest should be reverted back to the way it was before. Or at the very least, make them less overpowered.

Yeah, that's the only major problem I have with the new version as well. The changes made to the two enemies in previous versions were actually pretty creative (giving the Cyberdemon a grenade launcher and the Mastermind a BFG as alt fires) and added to the challenge without making them too powerful. Now? They're just ridiculous.

I did like the idea of using the Mancubus' cannon and the Revenant's missle launchers, even if they aren't very useful. It reminds me of the alien arm gun from Redneck Rampage. Also, I like that the rocket launcher and plasma gun can recognize when they have a full magazine and don't still reload when you push the button. Not much effect on gameplay, it just kind of bugged me. Overall, it's still good, it's still bloody, it's still Brutal.

- New fatality for Pain Elemental. Remade Mancubus fatality.
- Added a new animation for the Mancubus's death when killed by Minigun/Chainsaw made by Eriance.
- Awesome new realistic and nasty wall decals
- Better water effects
- Reverted the rifle sprite back to the original one, but with a few changes. Added new sound effect for it.
- Increased kick damage and range
- Reduced the damage of all Imp's attacks
- Increased damage in Demon's attacks
- Fixed a bug that could make blood decals spawn behind monsters near other monster that was shoot/gibbed.
- Added more counter-measures to prevent 3rd person camera of not initializing during a fatality.
- Fixed weird AI with Wolfenstein SS
- Increased the damage of Flame Cannon and Revenant Rockets.
- New "soft" death for Archvile when killed by low damage weapons
- Fixed a bug causing archviles deal no more than 15 damage per attack
- Better effects for the captured lost soul when you throw them
- New death animation for the player: Arm disembowment
- Fixed a bug that could allow the SSG alt fire to be used even if the player had no ammo.
- Fixed a bug that could allow the player to harvest a flame cannon from the same Mancubus body infinite times
- New sprites for Rockets
- Fixed a bug that could make barrels disapear if a player uses the alt fire button to drop them in the ground
- Chaingunguys were not droping their Miniguns when killed by a point-blank SSG Shot, or Smash Mode punch. Fixed.
- Trying to use an imp brutalized by minigun fire as meatshield would give the player a Sergeant meat shield. Fixed.
- Fixed a bug making the player punch right after selecting the fists with berserk in Smash mode.
- Improved shotgun sprites.
- Changed Plasma Gun and Shotgun sound effects.
- Fixed MP40's infinite reloading bug.
- Flame Cannon can now be harvested from a Mancubus that was killed by a Headshot, or Chainsaw or Minigun. Thanks to Devastator for creating to sprite.
- MUCH improved the blood pool sprites for Software Rendering users.
- Improved deaths when killing enemies with SSG/Smash Mode Berserk Punches
- Improved stealth kill detections. Now if you punch a non-alerted zombie or imp from behind, it will always perform the stealth kill.

Is that the 0.14 changelog?

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Tango, can you post a map which I could reproduce the problem with Pinky teleport bugs?

here is a screenshot of it in action. the upper platform lowers later in the map, but as you can see the demons are able to just walk right down the platform and teleport. so instead of clusters of monsters teleporting when triggered by a floor lower, once you shoot and alert all the monster closets, they all teleport out at once.

the wad, for reference, is map04 of this.

Hey, I found two minor bugs.
One: Make the rifle zoom in, and press reload. Rifle sprite unzooms, however the actual screen remains zoomed in.
Two: I'm not even sure if this is a bug or not, but if a weapon falls from an enemy (in my case it was a chaingunner), it dissapears.

It's working really really slow. Even in the menus.
Both with GZ and Skulltag.

Halp pls?

Hi,
I've been playing around with Brutal Doom for about 3 days now and after some googling and a little elbo greese I managed to get GZDoom + ZDL Sharp working and playing all the doom wads with this mod. Then I got Skulltag + ZDL Sharp working with this mod, again all the wads worked. But yesterday when I tried to load up doom 1 to continue my game I was met with a script error.

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "brutalgzdoomv014.pk3:terrain.wad:ANIMDEFS" line 46:
Unknown texture FWATER1

This happenes on both GZDoom and Skulltag, but through troubleshooting I have narrowed down the problem to being directly caused by having BrutalGZDoomv014.pk3 and the Brutalskulltagdoomv014.pk3 (not sure if that is the right file name because I only have my GZDoom ZDL open at the moment to check.). When I remove the brutal doom .pk3 the game loads fine, when I drag the doom.wad into GZDoom or Skulltag it works fine. But with Brutal Doom activated I always 100% of the time get that error as the game fail's to start. I have not changed anything (at least not purposly or anything that was not in the game options) since I first got this game to work and played a sizable amount of each .wad including the shareware version of doom that I used as a test (now i get the same error on it). This problem is isolated to only Doom, Doom shareware, and ultimate doom. Any help would be apreciated. Let me know if you need any further information.

Tango said:

i would also like to second getting rid of the screen flashing red when you aren't actively taking damage. it's sort of like how the game beeps nonstop in zelda when you're under three hearts or whatever. it seems unnecessary after the first few beeps/flashes, and it makes me think i'm taking damage the whole time.

all that aside, this is indeed some pretty neat work you've done here.

I agree that it's a bit odd how enemies can drop off from greater heights now. I was doing a run of Infinity's E1M2 and was a bit puzzled to visit an area where monsters are usually waiting, stationed on platforms, only to find the platforms empty since they'd jumped down and ran down the hallway. This caused monsters to get stuck in sludge pits in another section. It seems a strange alteration to enemy behavior.

And the screen flashing red (the status bar face even grits his teeth like he's being hurt) is a bit disconcerting, though you get sort of used to it after a while.

A couple of bugs I noticed. (For note, I played in GZDoom) I don't know if they've been reported before or if they're even fixable:

-When performing a berserk execution under a door, it's possible for the door to close on you and push you into the floor, trapping you.

-When performing berserk executions, the player and monster are treated as a single sprite with a shared palette. Therefore, any green parts on the monster (Baron hands, Cacodemon eyes) will be the same color as the player (e.g., if your marine's wearing a red suit, the Cacodemons will have red eyes during the execution animation).

-If you hit the reload key while the shotgun is fully loaded, you'll cock it for no reason. Similarly, reloading the plasma gun while it's fully loaded will cause the weapon to be raised again, like you've just switched to it.

And this isn't a bug, but am I the only one that thinks the bloody wall decals are really flat? They're just, like, a single, solid, perfectly consistent tone. It's too smooth, like freshly-splattered paint instead of blood. The blood pools under downed enemies look more detailed and convincing.

And, a little suggestion: it'd be nice if the DOOMGuy held his hands slightly differently depending on if he were Smash Mode or Rip and Tear Mode. That way, you'd know right away which mode you were set to. But that's a minor thing.

I apologize for all the nitpicks. This is not at all to negate the quality of this mod. I thought it was just going to be all style and no substance, but the gameplay tweaks are outstanding. Like another poster said, it's like playing DOOM for the first time all over again. Ancient levels that are stupidly easy have all new life breathed into them with Brutal Doom. And all the little details (the wavering of the sights when aiming the assault rifle; hurting yourself when you fire into walls; the blood drips when you're really low on health; the splashes when running through fluid flats; etc.) really show how much love and effort has been put into this project. It's great work. :)

Megamur said:

And this isn't a bug, but am I the only one that thinks the bloody wall decals are really flat? They're just, like, a single, solid, perfectly consistent tone. It's too smooth, like freshly-splattered paint instead of blood. The blood pools under downed enemies look more detailed and convincing.

It's not just you! They look flat in certain areas to me, too!

Megamur said:

And, a little suggestion: it'd be nice if the DOOMGuy held his hands slightly differently depending on if he were Smash Mode or Rip and Tear Mode. That way, you'd know right away which mode you were set to. But that's a minor thing.

I agree with this, and to add to that am I the only one experiancing another bug where sometimes it will not switch between the two no matter what?

And on the subject of the shotgun cocking on a full clip I dont know if that is so much of a bug, but more so of a design choice. I mean its pretty bad ass to walk into a room full of blood and bodys blown to bits and hit the go fuck your self button and cock your shotgun. Just saying.

ReikokuNinja said:

I agree with this, and to add to that am I the only one experiancing another bug where sometimes it will not switch between the two no matter what?

Not as far as I've noticed.

And on the subject of the shotgun cocking on a full clip I dont know if that is so much of a bug, but more so of a design choice. I mean its pretty bad ass to walk into a room full of blood and bodys blown to bits and hit the go fuck your self button and cock your shotgun. Just saying.

This is true. :)

By the way, do damage sectors hurt more than they used to or something? In some old WADs where you're required to run through nukage pools without a radiation suit (Unholy Trinity, for example), it seems stupidly hard to survive.

I am going to be writing a mod review for this as soon as I finish doom 2 with it. I also covered it briefly in my gaming podcast. But I am still having trouble getting doom 1 to work. I went and found different source .wads to see if maybe in some way or another I had muffed my wad file. After trying it with 6 wads from 6 different sources I have still been unable to get it to launch.

Also I have been trying to record this with fraps and for some reason unknown to me it cant run faster than 1fps when im recording. Was wanting to do some video content for my mod review but I think I can get by with some screen shots.

I don't understand why people complained about the baron/knights green blood in previous versions of the mod, those monsters were meant to have green blood in the vanilla game in the first place.

Avoozl said:

I don't understand why people complained about the baron/knights green blood in previous versions of the mod, those monsters were meant to have green blood in the vanilla game in the first place.

The problem was with translations because if the player chose pink or white or some other color, the color on the baron and knight fatality sprites would change green to those colors.

Another glitch I've noticed: if you hit the reload key while the super shotgun is equipped and already fully loaded, then switch to the regular shotgun, you'll automatically go into the reload animation for the regular shotgun as soon as it comes up (or just cock it if it's already loaded). This is problematic if you're a compulsive reloader like me and need to switch shotguns quickly.

Hello, how would I go about changing the shotgun's reload process? I want it to make each shell loaded count as 1 shell instead of two.

I know about lump editing and such, just what exactly to do persay.

Thanks.