Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shadow1013

Vanilla FreeDOOM maps

This project has evolved way over it's original intentions. I was just gonna convert a couple maps ** Before we move on to E2 and E3, I say that we should get some graphics artists to construct us a proper WIMAP for Episode 1, and of course put the names and stuff in the wilv blah blah blah

I like your E1M8, but it could probably use a little bit of health (a few stimpacks). There is some tutti-fruti at the very bottom of the staircase. In the second screenshot, you can see a weird vertical bar that shows up on each side of both exits, when looking back towards the baron room. You may need to play around with the ceiling heights and/or cover the two exit hallways so they're not open to the sky.

Yeah, I noticed that too, I modified the exit hallway to be indoors now so that problem shouldn't appear. Also now the hallway is wider, because I thought it might have been too small. I also made the little entrance porch thingy a little wider and less cramped, so you can actually see the Barons as soon as they activate. Do you think the arena is too small though? and more importantly, is it too close to the original?

The room size is okay, and in fact the fight is very easy (same as the original E1M8). It's definitely a tribute, no doubt about that. If you want to try something different, you could always do something like in uac_dead.wad, where the barons show up and you have to fight them (killing them lowers a sector and gives access to the red key), but you exit the map like any other one, by using a switch (the shuttle's instrument panel) instead of teleporting to the special damaging sector.

And that reminds me, uac_dead.wad doesn't work with Freedoom. The Chocolate Doom wiki says to use option "-gameversion 1.9" but with the Freedoom IWAD it exits immediately with: "This is not the registered version."

Well I guess for now it's okay. I kinda like the whole teleport to damaging sector and end level. I have one rule about boss levels: They a short, simple and sweet. One of the reasons I especially disliked FreeDOOM's original (besides a whole bunch of other stuff) and FreeDOOM's E2M8, as well as MAP30.

As for the UAC_DEAD.WAD not working, the Spider Mastermind uses less frames in FreeDOOM than in the original (like half as many) and I think Vanilla DOOM and Choco-DOOM both check for some of those frames to see if it is in fact registered

I think it's a bit too close to the original. The E1 maps were completely different, except for E1M8 (but boss levels are a special case).

Before you actually start mapping, it might be beneficial to make an outline of the themes and story for the rest of the game. Who is this dude (space marine?) anyway, and why is he fighting? Who is he up against? What is this "AGM"? (or other replacement acronym, if that one cannot be explained in a satisfying way).

It's true that you could simply mirror the id themes/story and file off the serial numbers, but then you lose the opportunity to make something fresh that stands out on its own. The Phobos (techbase) -> Deimos (corrupted techbase) -> Hell (hellish) story arc has become a bit stale. You basically already know what's going to happen next, without even playing the game.

In contrast, over the past few days I've been playing System Vices, and found it completely enthralling. It shares basically nothing whatsoever with the original Doom story. The same can be said about other TCs like School Doom or Hacx, but System Vices manages to be a bit more mysterious and fantastical somehow, maybe because so very little is explicitely said and you're left to discover everything on your own.

Maybe take a DOOM3-ish spin on it? Show that at the end it was AGM who enabled this all to happen. Maybe to test you? And crap, I really like E2-styled techbases. And yeah, both the existing and my e2m1 are way to close even if we keep the same story arc.

I never played Doom 3, but yeah it sounds like a possible idea. And AGM doesn't even have to be a corporation, it could be a corrupt religious organization, or something else with a lot of power. For that matter, the political and economic systems don't have to match contemporary ones. A lot of SF stories use some form of feudalism, guilds, etc.

E2-style techbases are okay, but maybe in a different episode? I think in the original idea (not the published Doom game), they were going to be in E3 instead. Then again they might not fit in with the SKY3 theme, in which case maybe E4 would be a better fit. Or maybe it's possible to use an alternate sky for E3 IWAD maps but still leave SKY3 hellish-looking so PWADs that depend on that will look right.

Another possibility to consider is Quake's (the original game) method of four independent dimensions.

Maybe put the setting of FreeDOOM on a reddish moon (because the majority of E1's outside areas are brown and whatnot) and E2 would take place on the darkside of said moon (assuming the moon revolved around a planet the same way our moon revolves around us, or maybe the original Tei-Tenga idea, with the whole planet having a bright and darkside) have the VICTORY2 pic be the whole planet/moon/whatever being sucked into a blackhole into some sort of alternate dimension, where the alternate dimension is some sorta of plane-shifting hellish/alien/weird thing world and the AGM being a religious organization from the future which worships the God which belongs to that alternate dimension

If the spider mastermind that you see is the green one with the orange body spots, and has little antenna with a blue ball on it, that is the one I did.
It should have all the frames, no flips (it is not symmetric).

Hmm. Did the original have flips? Then maybe that is the problem, because I remember I overlayed the FreeDOOM sprite over the original, and many of the original did not get overwritten.

MORE: Yeah, the original does in fact have flips, and it checks for "spida1d1" as a registered test. Maybe adding a blank SPIDA1D1 lump will fix that?

I went through all my maps and fixed all the tutti-frutti and other small bugs, so it should be completely done. Ummm, I posted a nearly complete version on idgames, but my final version is sitting on my harddisk, and I hope this truly comes in handy

I did a new e2m1 for FreeDOOM while I've been gone, and it's finally finished :D I'm sure there could be a couple changes here and there, and it might be a little hard for e2m1 but it's here! (completely original btw...)

MEGAUPLOAD:
e2m1.wad
43.2 KB
megaupload.com/?d=DEKK1STL

That's a lot better than your first version. There are obvious tributes to id's map but it's different enough to be interesting. The only technical issue I spotted was that the red armor secret panel isn't "pegged" properly (not really a big deal).

Gameplay-wise the imps at the start can't hit you from the bottom of the lifts, so they're easy to kill. You might consider making them "deaf" and put them around a bend so they only activate once the player comes down from the lift. Also, the imps on the ledge behind the blue door can't hit you from above, so they're sitting ducks. I liked how there are opportunities to telefrag the cacos. Not sure if there's enough health for skills 1 & 2 (maybe add a medikit for those only). I played on skill 3 without too much trouble, but end up with only about 1/3 health at the exit.

Thanks for the feedback, I widened up the window in the marble room so that the imps can shoot and put the impassable flag so you can't fall. Also, I fixed the pegging issue of the armor secret, and I set those imps as deaf. I also fixed one texture alignment bug :P And yeah, I can see the iD homages, but they are ALOT less obvious than the ones from the current e2m1

Well, I've been gone for forever. I like your new wulf2d. And as you probably saw, I'm still working on the other two episodes :) I want to see if I can improve episode 1 more though.