Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KuriKai

stargr2 texture question

Probably the wall wore away and revealed some oversized circuits. Maybe conductors, although I remember shit about that stuff.

Mmmmm... Oscar Mayer hot dogs... my favorite.

Damn it, you're making me hungry. :P

I hate how most of Doom's so-called "tech" textures happen to be oversized circuit boards or garbled photos of toys.

In that case it always looked to me like a cut in the paneling to show a bunch of fuses or maybe pipes.

Rambosee said:

There were, that is until they all got turned into chaingunners.

Hell has a sick sense of humor.

They look kinda like giant electrical resistors which are used to limit the amount of voltage delivered to nearby loads.

printz said:

Are there women on Phobos? Where?

Obviously not among the armoured marines, but perhaps some of the scientists in the labs were female, because there is a texture which depicts what looks like a corpse of a woman crucified on a wall of green stone with her chest cut open.

Anyways, getting on topic of the STARGR2 texture... Perhaps those are thick RAM cartridges which are required to provide enough processing power for the dimensional gateways to open? Perhaps they have their memory slots conveniently on the wall just like electric sockets? *shrugs*

40oz said:

They look kinda like giant electrical resistors which are used to limit the amount of voltage delivered to nearby loads.

The IEEE would like to have a word with you.

I hope you don't mind me ganking your thread but I've got a similar "what is this" question. Are these bricks supposed to be metal? There appears to be rivets in the bricks, (highlighted in the top brick)

I also found some similar flats that also apparently have rivets in them as well.

CEIL3_5 always looked to me like something prefabricated, not stone. Plus, it mostly appears in Phobos.

40oz said:

Are these bricks supposed to be metal?

I always thought that they were some sort of metal plating on the bricks, you know, as industrial DooM can get with it's textures, it'd make sense. So yeah, most likely metal plating.

Also, those have to be fuses of some kind when reffering to the original texture at question; look at the caution bands around each one. If they were wires, they probably wouldn't have a specific little chain of caution bands (not painted on stuff, like clips, bands) around each segment.

These could very well be walled pipes carrying something else (e.g. gas, steam or some other fluid) and so they are marked as potential hazards with a striped pattern.

Another interpretation could be that they are simply two twisted pairs of black-red wire crossing the wall at an open panel.

KuriKai said:

1000000V
1000A

The IEEE would like a word with you, too.

printz said:

I hate how most of Doom's so-called "tech" textures happen to be oversized circuit boards or garbled photos of toys.

Oh, come now. It was 1993 and texture mapping was still a newfangled thing. I think most of us here have come to love the low-tech futurism of the texture work. I mean, even in Hollywood, how many movies in 1993 portrayed the slick, hexagonal, nano-laced, curved-surface look of today's sci-fi?