Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

absolute most favorite maps in doom or doom 2?

Are there maps in doom or doom 2 you just can't stand to skip?

Just maps that turn you on entirely, if you know what I mean?

What brought this up, in my mind, was map 01 of DOOM2. The map turns me on. I either play it thrice in a row, stare at a wall and listen to D_RUNNIN repeatedly, or both.

Other maps I truly get turned on by are MAP15, though I can't quite figure out why...

Yes. Map02. Whenever I finish playtesting a map (it`s usually slotted as map01), and map02 loads up, I just HAVE to kill those former humans at the beginning. And after that I usually run through the rest of the level too. I think I have played map02 like...233746326 times, and I never grow tired of it!

edit: and all maps in E1.

Doom 2's first 4 maps and the last three before the final (that is, MAP27, MAP28, and MAP29) all get a lot of playtime in the Xaserworld. That and MAP23, which is one of my odd favorites for some reason. ;)

As for Doom 1, it's actually a lot harder to say, post-DTWID. There's a lot of maps (E3M4 in particular) I used to not care much for but have a really newfound appreciation of after trying to figure out all the little design decisions behind each one.

Final Doom is easy: Dead Zone and Neurosphere. Maybe Tombstone too.

Are we going to have a thread of absolute most indifferent maps in doom or doom 2 as well, just to remove any remaining meaning from these lists?

purist said:

Are we going to have a thread of absolute most indifferent maps in doom or doom 2 as well, just to remove any remaining meaning from these lists?

we'll let you start that one

MAP02. Almost everytime I play through a single level PWAD I'll play at least halfway through this map. It's a shame American McGee didn't make most of the maps in Doom 2 because this one is golden.

Also whenever I wanna play Doom 2 by itself, The Focus, Refueling Base, The Factory, Downtown, Suburbs, Tenements, Catacombs, Abandoned Mines, and The Living End are my faves.

For Doom 1, Toxin Refinery, Computer Station, Military Base, Deimos Anomaly, Containment Area, Command Center, Hell Keep, Slough of Despair, Pandemonium, Perfect Hatred.

Xaser said:

Dead Zone

YESSSSSS

I have a lot of favorites. For now I'll just talk about some of my favorite maps by John Romero, and what I like so much about them.

E1M1's simplicity and interconnection makes it a perfect introductory map, and I love the vast networks of secret areas in E1M2 and E1M3.

MAP20 feels like an expansive world of its own, endless miles (or millions of years) from the rest of civilization. I do wish that the main path through the level was longer, but it's great for what it is. More work was put into the optional sections of Gotcha! than a lot of people put into entire maps.

E4M6 sets a great atmosphere, and with its jumps across precarious walkways it's a fitting finale for the style that Romero developed for his Doom II and E4 maps.

Doom(Screw you, Thy Flesh Consumed):

E1M1: One of the classic video game levels, and it earns that place.

E2M8: Unlike E3M8, this map does a good job at introducing the episode's boss. The first time I played it I nearly crapped myself at the sight of the rocket launching skyscraper we've come to love (and hate).

E3M9: A very interesting take on a secret level. An altered, harder version of the beginning level just works. Definitely makes up for E3M1.

Doom 2:

MAP08: I don't understand why so many members hate this map. It basically gives you a variety of rooms, each with a unique layout and force of monsters.

MAP31: BFG + Nazis= Good times.

TNT(Yes, I'm including Final Doom, please don't whine):

MAP09:Lots of weak enemies charging through small corridors makes for a lot of mowing with the minigun.

MAP10: Lots of ambushes to keep you on your toes. MAP09 is a hard act to follow, but this map pulls it off.

Plutonia:

MAP29: Essentially a full small town to fight the demons in. This is the map Doom 2's city maps should have been.

MAP32: Do I even need to elaborate?

Doom 2

MAP09
MAP10
MAP18
MAP20

I realized that I actually do like some of Doom 2's maps. :P

Grain of Salt said:

E4M1 -- Beginning the excellent, unique surrealism of E4.
E4M2 -- What can I say?
E4M5
E4M6 -- Nearly a perfect distillation of the things I like in E4. Here, you can feel the ground underneath you, which is rare in old DOOM maps. If this was a real place, I would visit it.
E4M7 -- A bit of an anomaly, coming right after M6, but nonetheless a good follow-up. It's not hard, just quietly menacing.
E4M8 -- Feels like the center of E4, geographically.

Yeah I really have to agree with you on these, and am ashamed to have forgotten to mention E4.

Also: E2M8

Toxin Refinery is my all time favorite because it is so hard to beat on nightmare difficulty without using the secret exit or speed running. It's such a long journey to the blue key and all the way back to the exit. I have a hard time beating it alone but in co-op we destory it - i love it!

Also, Halls of the Damned has become my next favorite for it's sheer difficulty and awesome music. This is a map in co-op that requires so much direct combat to beat, I love it. Something about tearing up the demons and barons with plasma in that dark room and then dashing to the exit is so thrilling! Every time we beat this one in co-op a high-five is required.

Tango said:

Are there maps in doom or doom 2 you just can't stand to skip?

Just maps that turn you on entirely, if you know what I mean?

What brought this up, in my mind, was map 01 of DOOM2. The map turns me on. I either play it thrice in a row, stare at a wall and listen to D_RUNNIN repeatedly, or both.

Other maps I truly get turned on by are MAP15, though I can't quite figure out why...

Understanding why you like map15 is easy. I mean, who doesn't like map15. Map15 is epic. Grand, epic castles, fun and challenging jumps, atmospheric slime-ways, cool secrets, intense battles, great overall layout and atmosphere. It's a great map. I was played through it earlier today in fact. It's not like the other maps.

Ultimate Doom:
Phobos Anomaly - awesome boss battle.
Fortress of Mystery - simple fun.
Perfect Hatred - totally forgot this level existed until I played Doom again some years ago and I loved it.
Sever The Wicked - Same as above.
Against Thee Wickedly - classic Romero-style.
And Hell Followed - One of my favorites from John Anderson.
Unto The Cruel - Another one I had forgotten until I played again.
Fear - great little level with lots of fighting.

It'd be easier for me to recount the levels in Doom II and The Plutonia Experiment that I didn't think was as great as the others, since I love almost all of both. Everything about Doom II makes me feel like a kid again, except the Wolfenstein levels (but I don't mind them). I don't mind NME in Plutonia but I don't think it's as great as the other levels, and sometimes I look forward to or dread Tombstone, depending on the mood...

TNT:
System Control - great introduction
Redemption - one of my favorites from Tom Mustaine.
Mill - awesome metal level.
Last Call - probably my favorite last level of any of the IWADs.
Pharoah - great atmosphere, love the music track.
Caribbean - a pretty looking shoot 'em up level.

Otherwise, I do enjoy all the IWADs.

No real favorite in Doom E1-3 (they're all good maps).

I never much played E4 and don't even consider it to be a part of Doom. Heck, it doesn't even have a proper intermission screen... It feels more like some kind of Master Levels add-on than belonging in the IWAD. So anyway, I just have the old E1-3 IWAD and don't care about E4. :)

Doom II : MAP11 (Circle of Death, aka 'O' of Destruction)

Final Doom : n/a (I don't care about these)