Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

LigH said:

You probably mean the one helping you out of the dark corner where the blue card is placed:

In UV, it's almost completely black until you get out around the next corner.

Note: This is a shot from Risen3D using dynamic lighting. The original DOOM will probably not have lighted walls, only the lamp post.

I did not remember this and almost didn't believe it. I had to load the map in UV then in HMP just to check. I'm fairly certain when I first played Doom when I was a kid I wasn't playing on UV, and I remember being scared shitless at that part because after I got the key I couldn't find my way out. I was playing on my uncle's sega cd version, and it was fuckin pitch black. That's the way I remember it anyway.

You do not have to blow yourself backwards using the rocket launcher to access the blue rectangular area(which exits to the secret level) in Mount Erebus(E3M6). You can straferun and make the jump. Never knew this.

Vordakk said:

You do not have to blow yourself backwards using the rocket launcher to access the blue rectangular area(which exits to the secret level) in Mount Erebus(E3M6). You can straferun and make the jump. Never knew this.

Sadly, that's the only exit of Mt Erebus I know of. I have yet to find the actual exit.

PRIMEVAL said:

Sadly, that's the only exit of Mt Erebus I know of. I have yet to find the actual exit.

If you go to all of the buildings/structures in the level you'll run into it sooner or later :)

Vordakk said:

If you go to all of the buildings/structures in the level you'll run into it sooner or later :)

In my recent Let's Play, I found a building in the lava with a (blue?) key door. Could that, by chance, be it? X)

As far as I remember, this building has some odds regarding its door. You can enter it with the matching key. ...

I always wondered if that texture was created to make three dimensional trees.

I have found out like 2 days ago that in vanilla doom (and vanilla compatibility), if you get the chainsaw you can't switch to the fist unless you have berserk.

PRIMEVAL said:

In my recent Let's Play, I found a building in the lava with a (blue?) key door. Could that, by chance, be it? X)

Actually, that building is pouring blood into the lava, making a "false mixture" out of it. Indeed, it is the exit.

Here's a list about my recent notices:
1. Despite being described as an "E1 flat", FLAT1 doesn't appear at all in E1.
2. The main piles of E1, the STAR* series doesn't appear on neither E1M8, nor E1M9. Three of them, STARBR2, STARGR2 and STARG2 appear first in E2M3 in the "supply room", meaning that they're "E2+ textures".

1.I found out how those chaingun guys are overpowered. I managed to get him to start fighting with a Mancubus, and THE CHAINGUNNER WON.

2.I found out that when Arch-Vile does the explosion, it actually has blast damage and can kill monsters near you.

I've just found out that you can make doors openable ONLY by monsters by placing another trigger linedef in front of them. Neat.

printz said:

I've just found out that you can make doors openable ONLY by monsters by placing another trigger linedef in front of them. Neat.

It's not entirely fool-proof. For ZDoom, you'll have to enforce the compat_useblocking flag through ZMAPINFO.

_bruce_ said:

Such are the coolest moments.

this backpack in map03 doom2!
damn had to go and check as well :) I never found it neither till now

printz said:

Let alone PrBoom+, right? Taking into account "common mapping errors".

Boom 'fixed' this bug (yes, it was a coding bug.) so essentially all Boom compatible ports need to set a compatibility option for this effect.

E4M3 of Ultimate Doom

It's in the area where you get the Red Key. Look into the room where the Rocket Launcher is. You'll be in between two red torches. Press the spacebar as you go into this tiny room and the floor you're on will rise. It's a crushing floor, so get out of the way.

And because of that, I FINALLY figured out what that switch does, which lowers the wall that you raised. The switch is across from the hidden door which has the staircase of a gazillion secrets on it.

Upon death, Pain Elementals will discharge their Lost Souls in the direction of the target that dealt the killing blow, which I suppose would mean that they don't have a targeting threshold for this particular state.

peach freak said:

E4M3 of Ultimate Doom

It's in the area where you get the Red Key. Look into the room where the Rocket Launcher is. You'll be in between two red torches. Press the spacebar as you go into this tiny room and the floor you're on will rise. It's a crushing floor, so get out of the way.

OK, I tried this out myself and to be honest I didn't believe that a rising floor can crush a player to death O_o

I thought that the only "acceptable" results whenever you blocked rising/lowering platforms were to either get stuck or cancel the raising/lowering and disrupting the map's event sequence.

In some rare cases where you can get caught by lowering (but non-crushing) platforms, you can indeed simply get trapped without getting crushed (e.g. CLEIM10.WAD E2M3, in the computer room at NE. However the "computers" are lowered by a Linedef Action 44: "W1 Ceiling lower to 8 above Floor"), but that works because the "crush" flag is not passed on. Seems that rising floors have other rules, even though they are not clearly marked as "crushing" in editors.

"The Unofficial DOOM Specs" (dmsp1666.txt)

[4-3-2]: Linedef Types
14. STAIRS.
  The turbo stairs (100, 127) work just like regular stairs except that
each step goes up 16 not 8, and rising steps can crush things between
themselves and the ceiling.
See also 3 pages ago.

LigH said:

Stuff

Hmm...only that the offending rising floor in E4M3 is activated by Action 65: Floor rises to 8 below lowest Ceiling (crushes). Must have missed that O_o

Deliberately crushing stairs are indeed rare in maps. Most occurences of damaging (crushing) floors seem to be unintentional, or really asking for it (only if you have no life you try disrupting raising blocks ;-)

Maes said:

Deliberately crushing stairs are indeed rare in maps. Most occurences of damaging (crushing) floors seem to be unintentional, or really asking for it (only if you have no life you try disrupting raising blocks ;-)

I've been the victim of the secluded floor of E2M4 several times. Once, it didn't even kill me, but trapped me forever, with no monster in sight to release me (from misery).

Just how do the turbo crushing stairs behave when blocked? Do they slow down? Or do they move up at the same speed? Because if they don't slow, their damage will be pointless: they'll simply block you forever instead. Stupid. Not to mention that it sounds like a Darwin award.

Ah, this block then...

FLOORS
 56   Floor  W1& mover slow  -  -   up to LIC - 8, CRUSH
 94   Floor  WR& mover slow  -  -   up to LIC - 8, CRUSH
 55   Floor  S1  mover slow  -  -   up to LIC - 8, CRUSH
 65   Floor  SR  mover slow  -  -   up to LIC - 8, CRUSH
Not much documented there, but probably a similar purpose.

I remember that when I ran through the "rock mouth", I was "bitten" (brief damage) but passed through.

printz said:

Just how do the turbo crushing stairs behave when blocked? Do they slow down?

Nope. Slowing down only occurs with certain types of ceiling crushers which deliberately slow down their speed by a factor of 8 when crushing mode is definitively engaged. All other types (e.g. fast crushers, non-crushing etc.) simply go on their merry way eventually trapping players and monsters, with or without dealing some damage along the way.

From p_ceiling.c:

else // ( res != pastdest )
	{
	    if (res == crushed)
	    {
		switch(ceiling->type)
		{
		  case silentCrushAndRaise:
		  case crushAndRaise:
		  case lowerAndCrush:
		    ceiling->speed = CEILSPEED / 8;
		    break;

default:
		    break;
		}
	    }
	}
No other part of the code, even when it involves crushing, does modify the ceiling's speed, and no part of the code modified the floor's speed under crushing circumstances.

peach freak said:

The switch is across from the hidden door which has the staircase of a gazillion secrets on it.

DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!!

Anyway, in MAP19, the blue key area: near that key is a switch which would lower that FLAT23 sector if it wasn't already lowered by mistake.

Maes said:

OK, I tried this out myself and to be honest I didn't believe that a rising floor can crush a player to death O_o

I thought that the only "acceptable" results whenever you blocked rising/lowering platforms were to either get stuck or cancel the raising/lowering and disrupting the map's event sequence.

In some rare cases where you can get caught by lowering (but non-crushing) platforms, you can indeed simply get trapped without getting crushed (e.g. CLEIM10.WAD E2M3, in the computer room at NE. However the "computers" are lowered by a Linedef Action 44: "W1 Ceiling lower to 8 above Floor"), but that works because the "crush" flag is not passed on. Seems that rising floors have other rules, even though they are not clearly marked as "crushing" in editors.

To be honest, I've seen that action in use, but I've never been crushed by it.

I've seen the "Floor Raise to 8 Below Lowest Ceiling" action used in reverse though. This is a mapping trick people use to make the floor LOWER (not raise) super fast (heck, it may even be an instant lower). The first example that always comes to mind where you see this is Map10 (Onslaught) of Plutonia. After you pass through the Blue Door, there's an area where there's a door surrounded by Chaingunners on platforms above (and the Chaingunners are infinetely resurrected due to Arch-viles that are hidden). Open this door and you'll find a switch inside. Hit this switch and the floor you're on will instantly drop to the ground/sewers below, although the action states "Floor Raise to 8 Below Lowest Ceiling).

When you're down in the sewers, you'll notice that the sectors surrounding the switch have been nearly lowered to the ground, so Doom does what it's told to do, bring the floor (or raise it negatively) to 8 below whichever surrounding ceiling is the lowest.

It's a mapping trick that I use a lot, too.

Hehe, "Floor Raise to Lowest Ceiling" is so useful it's almost godlike.

printz said:

I've been the victim of the secluded floor of E2M4 several times. Once, it didn't even kill me, but trapped me forever, with no monster in sight to release me (from misery).

The very first time I ever played this map, this happened to me. I actually tried for 5 minutes or so to get out of that trap before realizing I was stuck "for good". I was afraid of going into that room ever since for a long while. :P