Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Grazza said:

Is that for real? If so, how?

The picture on the Kindle is real as can be, unfortunately its only a picture. I jailbroke it to get my own custom screensavers on there and then I was struck by the idea as I was loading Doom artwork onto it.

If Doom actually could run on it, it'd be pretty damn dark and I don't want to even think about the confusion keys could cause.

Not to mention that even if it did run, it'd quite literally run at 1 frame per second, because that's about how fast the kindle's screen refreshes (if that fast, even).

WIP Shot #12304

While I'm tempted to name this map "Submerged Temple," in a synonymous nod to the main inspiration, I have to realize that in doing so I'd do a great disservice to one of my favorite maps of 2011 :P

Looks great snakes! I would probably retexture those DOORSTOP posts with either METAL or a METAL-esque texture, but that's just me being pedantic. :P

Great Snakes! That looks awesome. Love that E4 sky with green and brown themes. Is there anyway you can break up the flat skyline?

lupinx-Kassman said:

Looks great snakes! I would probably retexture those DOORSTOP posts with either METAL or a METAL-esque texture, but that's just me being pedantic. :P

iori said:

Great Snakes! That looks awesome. Love that E4 sky with green and brown themes. Is there anyway you can break up the flat skyline?

Thanks guys! I'd actually already been reconsidering the DOORSTOP there, as the silver doesn't feel right. As for the skyline, it's doubtful that it'll be anything but flat. There may be some architectural details for which I'll lift it up a little, but nothing major.

Like most of UR's E2 maps, the whole thing is staged around a central, outdoor area. My inability to toy with the sky flat is a weakness of mine when it comes to mapping that I hope to remedy soon.

Tango said:

The first sentence which came through my brain to my throat:

Esselfortium Style!

It means, I love it. I notice that you may make more details, but can be good without more. Your decision.

Shots of Joshy and Snakes are also very good. Joshy, the hellstone with the blue space-sky is very unique IMO.

Katamori said:

The first sentence which came through my brain to my throat:

Esselfortium Style!

I've thought the same thing about it :P. Also needs some variety and details.

And what's going on with this midtexture fence... Looks like you've gotta modify the texture a little bit so it doesn't "sink" into the floors.

I, too, was unaware that making visually striking scenery and excellent architecture had become known as "Esselfortium style." Granted, Essel makes some amazingly beautiful maps, there are plenty of techniques and styles that every author has that can distinguish one from another.

For example, my style's been compared to Erik Alm's more than once, but it wouldn't take too much playing before one could spot our major differences. I'd feel slighted if someone stated my map was "Erik Alm Style." The reason why is very basic: it's actually Snakes Style.

By the by, sweet Tango Maps are always awesome.

I guess it's been a while since I last posted some shots. I took a month+ break from mapping and decided to jump back into it recently. And I've been sick the whole day today so I mapped to kill off the boredom. If they suck then blame this sinus infection :P

http://mekworx.phenomer.net/mekastuff/wads/btsx/Screenshot_Doom_20120104_011310.png
http://mekworx.phenomer.net/mekastuff/wads/btsx/Screenshot_Doom_20120104_011347.png
http://mekworx.phenomer.net/mekastuff/wads/btsx/Screenshot_Doom_20120104_011436.png
http://mekworx.phenomer.net/mekastuff/wads/btsx/Screenshot_Doom_20120104_011501.png

Nice :)

I like the 3D sky window stuff in the last shot; took me a minute to notice.

One minor bug, assuming this isn't intentional: In the first shot, the colors are mismatched between the vertical and horizontal warning-stripe trim flats. One's tan and the other's green.

Tango said:

omg you're working on saturnx too?!?!?!?

WTF is a saturnx? lol

Ah, I guess the tan and the green were too similar for me to notice. I should have looked at the flat names, heh. Thanks for spotting that :)

I have only been mapping for a few days. (I can say I started mapping in 2012 :P ) Im having lots of fun. My biggest problem is making everything look interesting. It all looks generic imo

steuntron said:

I have only been mapping for a few days. (I can say I started mapping in 2012 :P ) Im having lots of fun. My biggest problem is making everything look interesting. It all looks generic imo

for just starting out that doesn't look so bad. the fact that you can acknowledge what you need to do, even if not knowing how, is a big step. by the looks of it you've already got ideas for more interesting environments (my first map was a set of three square rooms connected via teleport).

the heretic stuff looks really cool, Kore.

Reminds me of Substation (your pc_cp map)... I'm not going to complain one bit about this. :)